PDA

View Full Version : Redondo Tradition Boat Gone - New Hustler coming

DockRat
10-26-2012, 05:50 PM
The Tradition has moved from Redondo :Sad:
Jackpot Jimmy what's going on ?

Pretty impressive pole spear contest at LB in story below and Tradition info.

Used to live across the street from Charlie Sturgill about 1977
in Torrance for about a year. He was pretty old back then, mid 70's. ? Didn't learn till the 90's that he was such a legend. Charlie built some big spearguns.
Saw pics of him in the book 'Last of the Blue Water Divers'. I saw some 6' homemade spear guns hanging in his garage. He was building his own dive masks around 1930.
Hard core old school diver before wetsuits.

Here is some pics of Charlie at Palos Verdes, (inner tube full of Abalone).

http://www.sturgillspearfishing.com/pages/about-us
DR

PHIL FRIEDMAN on FISHING: Ryan Moore shatters pole-spear record
Posted: 10/26/2012 03:13:46 AM PDT
Updated: 10/26/2012 03:15:07 AM PDT

The Fathomiers Club in Los Angeles held its annual Charlie Sturgill Pole Spear Competition on Sunday and a 42-year-old record was shattered. Ryan Moore broke the record set by Al Schneppershoff Jr. back in 1968 with a score of 125 points.

Contestants are awarded one point per fish and one point per pound of fish speared. The previous record was 108 points.

Moore speared a total of 20 fish near the Long Beach Breakwall, including a 40-pound white seabass and a 25-pound white seabass.

"Even though he broke my dad's record, I am really happy for him," Al Schneppershoff II said. "Records are made to be broken and this was an incredible feat."

The event is for free divers who use only a pole spear. Schneppershoff says the pole spear only gives you about a 3- to 5-foot effective range. One technique for spearing wily fish like white seabass is to lay on the bottom and wait for your prey to pass by and then ambush it.

Charlie Sturgill was the National Spearfishing Champion in 1951 using his famous pole spear.

Anglers who like to fish for rockfish will need to take notice that the maximum depth you can fish changes on Nov. 1 from 60 fathoms to 50 fathoms.

According to Don Ashley from Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach, the reason for the amendment is that too many cow cod were reported taken by sportfishermen recently.

"We are catching more cow cod because the fishery is rebounding and getting better," Ashley said.
Advertisement

Ashley and many sport fishermen are frustrated by the November restrictions imposed by the California Department of Fish and Game, saying that this is a no-win situation.

"If we catch too many fish, they restrict access to the fishery, and if we don't catch any fish, they restrict it also, saying that the fishery is in peril. Either way, sport fishermen lose."

On Monday, the Redondo Special had five white seabass and one yellowtail along with some calico bass and other species. The half-day boat has had live squid on a regular basis which has helped spur on the exotics. The 3/4-day boat Tradition has left Redondo Sportfishing with no current other run announced.

She is currently docked at Berth 55 Sportfishing in Long Beach. The New Hustler will be moving to Redondo Sportfishing to begin operating in November.

San Diego boats continue to catch lots of yellowtail along with some yellowfin tuna and dorado. There has been a downturn in recent counts due primarily to rough seas and windy weather.

"We just need to get back to some good weather and we'll start catching again," Sea Adventure skipper Chuck Taft said.

Lobster fishing has been excellent for hoop netters in our local waters with many catching their seven-lobster limits. The Westerly has all brand-new Promar nets and is off for another trip on Saturday evening. "We have all the nets, bait and we know where the lobsters live," said skipper Jon Ackley.

Lobster are selling for $25-30 per pound now, so it's not hard to figure out that with a few pounds of the crustaceans you are way ahead of the game. The Westerly is running lobster charters out of Long Beach Sportfishing nightly for as little as $650 for up to 15 anglers. Call Captain Jon at 714-315-5240.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_21859843/friedman-ryan-moore-shatters-pole-spear-record?IADID=Search-www.dailybreeze.com-www.dailybreeze.com

Jackpot Jimmy
10-27-2012, 11:14 AM
The Tradition has been sold and like the article says is currently docked at Long Beach Sportfishing. A new run is TBA.

DockRat
10-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Bummer JJ.
Hope she finds a good home (Like back at Redondo).
Dr

Jackpot Jimmy
10-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I think the boat will be just fine.

Josh
10-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Aww man. Much closer now that it's in long beach but gonna miss going out on santa monica bay. Is it going to be the same crew jimmy or will they he working out of redondo still?

DockRat
10-27-2012, 07:37 PM
I saw the Tradition at Pier 55 yesterday. The gal at the Restaurant said the POLB (Port of Long Beach)
gave Pier 55 one more year till they get kicked out. They are going to build a fire station there.
The fire station under the Gerald Desmond will be torn down for the construction of the new LB bridge.
Good news Pier 55 will be there another year.
DR

DockRat
10-27-2012, 07:42 PM
New Hustler info.

http://www.hookslanding.net/the-new-hustler.html

Jackpot Jimmy
10-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Aww man. Much closer now that it's in long beach but gonna miss going out on santa monica bay. Is it going to be the same crew jimmy or will they he working out of redondo still?

The crew did not go with the boat.

Jackpot Jimmy
10-27-2012, 08:11 PM
A big thank you to those of you on this forum (especially our mods Jeff, Arthur, Donna, and of course Dana) who supported our business. We deeply appreciate it.

Fish Dog
10-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Speaking of Redondo boats does anybody know where the old City of Redondo ended up?

Jackpot Jimmy
10-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Speaking of Redondo boats does anybody know where the old City of Redondo ended up?

The old City of Redondo was up in Oxnard for a while and now it is down in Mexico.

Ifishtoolittle
10-30-2012, 11:14 PM
The old City of Redondo was up in Oxnard for a while and now it is down in Mexico.

I'm just curious, but would you happen to know where in Mexico?

Jackpot Jimmy
10-31-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm just curious, but would you happen to know where in Mexico?

I'm thinking it was Mazatlan but I'm not 100% sure...

RyO K
10-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Whats up Jimmy! Sorry to hear about the Tradition.

Lets hit up the PI soon!

talk to you soon.