PDA

View Full Version : fall bite starting to pick up .. silverwood!

bassmas88
10-26-2012, 01:05 PM
launched my canoe from the damn, with my buddy henry at about ten after seven, this morning while launching henry casted out as he saw bait fish being chased up on the rocks... fish on! pound or two. then we made it out to the sheer rock wall across the way, cuz we saw some boils. ended up catching two more. all three were caught on crankbait fished almost like a topwater. bite died with the wind around quarter to ten

carpanglerdude
10-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Congrats!

You mean stripers, right?

Also, was it overcast or clear skies when you were out?

Jmac
10-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Went out Thursday night. Fished from about 4:45 to about 9:30. Picked up 5 stripers. All between 2 - 3.5 lb.'s. First time fishing with a spook and had a blast!

yakfu
10-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Jmac.......can you clue me in on what a spook is?

P.A.W.
10-27-2012, 06:21 AM
here you go... http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-zara-spook-lure best part is they are sooooo cheap!

seal
10-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Spooks are about the only bait I use between sometime in August and October, then it's swimbait time but I still have a spook rod with me.

The best spooks to purchase in my opinion are not the regular old spooks, puppy's or superspook's it's the one knocker's or the rattling spooks. They have much better hardware and are only a buck or 2 more, the regular spooks have very thin hooks and unless you replace them the will bend or break quite easily while dealing with a decent size striper.

seance
10-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Does anyone know what the water temp at Silverwood is?

seal
10-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know what the water temp at Silverwood is?

69 yesterday afternoon at the Marina.

Jmac
10-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Sorry yakfu, just saw your post. Went back out this evening from 5 to 7:30 and ended up with 3. Unfortunetly there's a barely used spook floating across silverwood tonight as I snapped off my line. What a difference a little drop in water temp makes. Stripers seem to be much more aggressive.

Jmac
10-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Spooks are about the only bait I use between sometime in August and October, then it's swimbait time but I still have a spook rod with me.

The best spooks to purchase in my opinion are not the regular old spooks, puppy's or superspook's it's the one knocker's or the rattling spooks. They have much better hardware and are only a buck or 2 more, the regular spooks have very thin hooks and unless you replace them the will bend or break quite easily while dealing with a decent size striper.

Well said on the bent hook part!

carpanglerdude
10-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Sorry yakfu, just saw your post. Went back out this evening from 5 to 7:30 and ended up with 3. Unfortunetly there's a barely used spook floating across silverwood tonight as I snapped off my line. What a difference a little drop in water temp makes. Stripers seem to be much more aggressive.

Hahaha! I did the same thing on one of my last trips. Sent this beauty topwater lure (link (http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_22353_-1?color=Ghost+Shad&N=97009336+4294963713)) flying across the lake, ugh.

stocker
10-27-2012, 11:35 PM

Very true w/the trad spook. A great friend of mine learned this lesson the hard way years ago at Silverwood. All of the hooks on his spooks got mangled by striper and he only wound up with 2 fish landed one 7 and a 10. Bomber makes a wicked spook version with super beefy saltwater hooks that I like a lot.

seal
10-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Hahaha! I did the same thing on one of my last trips. Sent this beauty topwater lure (link (http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_22353_-1?color=Ghost+Shad&N=97009336+4294963713)) flying across the lake, ugh.

Just a guess but I'd say those have some pretty weak hooks also.

bassmas88
10-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Congrats!

You mean stripers, right?

Also, was it overcast or clear skies when you were out?

sorry ya strpers just saw ur post, blue bird day not a cloud in the sky, water temp was 68 if i remeber correctly