PDA

View Full Version : An inch a minute!

skunked4life
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Taking the day off from work to take care of errands.

Got up at 6 and thought, "what to do until my 8:30 appointment?"

FISHING TIME!

Got out to NPB at around 6:45. Started casting the LC. I was using a new color, ghost minnow jack smelt. First 20 casts, nothing...was targetting fat perch but no Takers let alone any nibbles. The tide was calm and i needed to do something.

Oh yeah, why not take some knowledge that i learned from SP Dan and apply it?

Started looking for structure. Got to this spot that i normally fish and noticed that the waves were doing something weird....RIPTIDE!

Started casting to the left. Then cast to the right. Now i feel hits, butt no takers??? I thought that since LC's had 3 treble hooks that pretty much every hit would equate to a catch. I was mistaken. Kept casting, butt still no love. Now keep in mind that normally i would have taken 2 rods, one for the LC and one for the c rig crack, butt i was feeling adventurous today. No crack, only 2 LC's and pliers. Talk about traveling light. After about 20 minutes of fishing, i was about to give up butt said, hey one more cast...

Something hit me like a freight train, a small freight train. Then felt like dead weight. Thoguht i had hooked up on salad. It was almost certainly dead weight salad. Then, out pf nowhere, line starts peeling! What the?!?! After a brief 45 second fight, i see a big open mouth coming towards me. Saw the teeth and thought, big lizard fish or something bassy? NO! It was my first surf BUTT!

Taped out at 21 inches. Not legal but not bad for 21 ,inutes of fishing! Must be a sign to go play blackjack. This is my pb, as embarassing as that may sound (previous pb was 19 in the harbor). Anyways, thanks for reading and pics to come later. Im on my iphone right now...

bachiboy
10-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Way to go Ken! Yea, that Dan guy does know a thing or two about the surf. :Wink: Now just imagine if it were a full half-hour session...30" butt? :LOL: Pretty awesome job in a short amount of time.

Thanks for the report and congrats on your PB!!! Legal to come soon I'm sure!:Thumbs Up:
Don

dlmoo312
10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Congratulations on your first surf halibut!
I'm sure you'll land that legal soon enough just keep at it!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

skunked4life
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Way to go Ken! Yea, that Dan guy does know a thing or two about the surf. :Wink: Now just imagine if it were a full half-hour session...30" butt? :LOL: Pretty awesome job in a short amount of time.

Thanks for the report and congrats on your PB!!! Legal to come soon I'm sure!:Thumbs Up:
Don

Thanks don. Hey, by chance did you bring your dad to hg4? I am trying to picture what you look like.

skunked4life
10-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Congratulations on your first surf halibut!
I'm sure you'll land that legal soon enough just keep at it!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Thank you daniel. I have a question though. I guess its not just for you but, your profile picture tells me you would know. Is it likely that there are more butts in the locale that i caught this one? Ive only seen one person ever fish a legal butt out of newport beach. I am itching for my next one!

bloox8
10-26-2012, 03:41 PM
All this talk about a quick fishing session in the morning is really weighing in on my decision on where I would like to work in the future LOL
It'll be soo awesome to get a 2-4 hour fishing session in before work or be able to spontaneously hit the sand on random days off because the surf is so close. Maybe then, I would consider packing A LOT lighter. Im pretty jealous :LOL:

Congrats on your first surf Butt! I am sure you'll have plenty more surf halibut stories if you keep at it!

Thanks for the report,

Thien

murrieta angler
10-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Well done S4L...:Smile:
You had me beat today by an inch...:Envious:
As far as leglas from NP, I've only had shorts there but have seen a guy nail a legal by the river outlet.
Thanks for the read and Congrats on your new PB!
Robert
<><

Newfishsmell
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Looks like 20 minutes well spent S4L . And Im sure you'll get that legal soon.

Thanks for the report.

Which Way Out
10-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Ken your numbers are going in the right directions and that's a good thing.
It won't be long that a legal will find you and slide up on the beach. The weekend is here so continued Good luck to ya.

WWO

Wingnut
10-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Oh man, that is so close. :!!!:
I have no doubt that you will get that legal very soon and I'm looking forward to that report. :Big Grin:
keep up the nice work out there and it was good to see you last Saturday at HG4. :Cool:

peanutbutter
10-26-2012, 08:27 PM
nice that was so close from being a legal :)

LuckyCraft420
10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Great job Ken! I text you right when I pulled up to work this morning to get the picture of the butt minutes later. If I had fishing gear in the car I may have pulled the popped tire on the freeway excuse and rushed in a hour of fishing, haha. You going to make it tomorrow morning, 10am?

SP Dan
10-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Yahooo! Ken! WTG!

"Congratulations on your first LC pancake and your new PB pancake"! :Big Smile::Applause:
Keep up the good work soldier...the larger models are out there...it's just a matter of time sir!

I need to share something with you sir.....it wasn't long ago that my feet were where your feet are standing.
I still refer to my self as the "Grasshopper" now and then.
I had a lot of questions that needed answers and I turned to the S.W.A.T. members for many of the answers....they freely shared much of their knowledge with me and they still do to this day.

They called it...... "Paying It Forward".

This is what I did with you.....I was paying it forward.....so the thanks really belongs to SWAT for sharing their knowledge with all of us on this site. :Wink: Maybe someday you will find yourself paying it forward for another FNN member or stranger on the beach.

PS...Your Halitosis condition really sounds serious to Ken.....
And I have just the fix!.....just head on down to your local fishing hole in the early light, catch two fish and then call me in the morning!
If this remedy doesn't cure your condition right away....please repeat it as often as necessary! :Big Grin:

Thanks Ken......I appreciate your friendship and your acknowledgement for sharing the knowledge. :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the fish report Ken :Cool:

SP Dan >"))><

PTN
10-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Great job on your new PB hali. Don't have to be embarassed, I caught over 70+ Hali's before I finally got my first legal. :Smile: And Newport does have legals, but I rarely see too many hali's in the surf. Keep up the good work!

-Peter

bachiboy
10-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Thanks don. Hey, by chance did you bring your dad to hg4? I am trying to picture what you look like.
No, didn't have my father with me, but would like to get him out there since he was the one who started me fishing so many years ago as a kid. Don't think he's actually surf fished in 35 years.

Anyway, there are a few photos of my ugly mug in here...
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?67211-S-W-A-T-Goes-Long

skunked4life
10-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Great job Ken! I text you right when I pulled up to work this morning to get the picture of the butt minutes later. If I had fishing gear in the car I may have pulled the popped tire on the freeway excuse and rushed in a hour of fishing, haha. You going to make it tomorrow morning, 10am?

We got to get together again! Check out my new post and the pics i texted you!