PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Brotha Beaches A New PB Halibut!

SP Dan
10-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Since being inducted into the S.W.A.T. Brotherhood back in January of 2011....my 1 3/4 year standing PB record for all of my legal Hali's has remained no greater than 22 1/2"....and this has been getting really old! :mad:
So instead of becoming impatient about the size of the fish.....I would try to remember the words my Grandfather would choose to say to me when he saw me becoming impatient, he would say:
"With patience.....all good things will come your way Dan...in due time". So I knew my time would come eventually! :Neutral:

Thursday 10-25-2012....South Bay Area, assaulted the spot from 1130 - 1545 hrs.
AO: ""Ol' Fathful"
Air temp: 72 degrees Fahrenheit, clear skies, windy at first but slowed down towards the end.
Water temp: 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Clear, no salad, schools of bait all around me with sea birds diving in every direction and right up to the shore line!
Sun rise: 0706. Sun set: 1806 hrs.
Moon: Waxing Gibbous.
Surf: 1- 2 ft, Swell: 0.5 ft, Sets: 13 secs.
Tide: OGT @ 1030 hrs 3.1 ft, LT @ 1248 hrs 0.9 ft, ICT @ 1430 hrs 0.1 ft.
Terrain: flat, wide sandy beach, no structure and only an outside trench.
Assault tactics: St. Croix 9'-6", 8-17 lb, Shamano Stradic 3000 CI4 reel with 15# flouro-carbon line and a drop shot set up.
iSolunar: :BFish::BFish:

After texting with my SWAT and FNN Brotha's over the early morning hours....I decided to hit up Baja Fish Gear in Lomita in order to pick up some drop shot supplies and then head out to my selected AO. My feet were wet by 1130 hrs.

Note: A special thanks to my S.W.A.T brothers- Wingnut and Lt Bones and my FNN Brother- fishshep for taking the time of explain the drop shot techniques to me; an avid LC thrower, and for getting me dialed in on the does and don't s of what gear to purchase solely by their experiences.

The positive thing about today was the surf and tide conditions were epic and I was now feeling hopeful again! I gave a quick thanks to Poseidon and stepped into the salt......I immediately began my fan casting routine and worked my way up the beach in one direction and then back the other way from where I came. I had quite a few hits, some good hard pull downs with out any takers....but some how I was able to beach (7) seven pancakes and (1) Lizard fish. No pictures taken of the pancakes ...what would be the point??.

I was rapidly approaching my departure time with nothing but pancakes under my belt once again and some how I kept convincing myself that "if I just cast in that direction one more time" ...well....this went on at least 30 or 50 casts..... when suddenly my rod tip pulls slow and heavy......and I think to my self...."sea weed???" and all of a sudden... ZZZZZzz followed by head shakes....Oh Yeah...Baby...it's on!
It was making line pulls to the left ZZzzzz and then to the right ZZzzzz...I calmed down once I knew I had a good hook set!

I finally got it to the front of the waves after approx 12 minutes of battling it and I quickly made the tail grab at 1515 hrs! "Oh...MAN'!...I couldn't believe it's size......it taped out at 31-inches, weighed 12.8 pounds and it became my new PB after waiting 1 3/4 years for this moment in time. Thank you Poseidon! :UDaMan:

After a quick CPR I fished for a little while longer and then headed home quite content. :Wink:

Thank you for taking the time to read about my new PB! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Untitled-9.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Untitled-10.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Dan3-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Dan4-1.jpg

bachiboy
10-26-2012, 12:10 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :UDaMan: You have definitely been putting in some time over this summer. You were DUE!!! Absolutely awesome my friend!:Thumbs Up: I had to change tactics to get my first legal of the summer. With all the wind we were having today, the LC was gonna be tough to fling. That dropshot had paid off for both of us. I can't be any happier for you.

Congratulations DAN!!!!!
Don

bones
10-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Look at you brotha....... The smile says it all. It took me much longer to join the 30" club my friend and I could tell you were on a mission. In the morning we were discussing dropshot techniques while you were shopping for some new weapons. You hit your AO with determination and a PB in your cross hairs buddy! She was lucky that you only interrogated her and sent her back to warn all flatties in the area that you will be back some day but as a true SWAT member you lived by the code that we must ALWAYS release our PB flattie out of respect. Great job Dan but now you have raised the bar......shall we say a 42" in those cross hairs!!!
You definately have what it takes .... Determination and Desire but more important.....You LOVE to FISH! It shows in every way.

WOW.... A striper from the sand and then a 55" Leo and now a PB flattie. I can't wait to see what you are going to pull off by the end of the year!

Keep up the good work and see you soon on the sand my friend!

DockRat
10-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Congratulations Dan :Applause::UDaMan::Applause:

At 6 pm the wind was really blowing and the surf was up (overhead) at Torrance.
Lots of kelp down there lately, you must of been more north.
Great job on the PB.
DR

Which Way Out
10-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Well DR he must not of come this far North! The sea has looked like something out of a novel. Add great quotes Here ( )

Well Dan that sounds like a great fish to add to your PB list. I respect your efforts even more in the conditions we have been having. It also shows that the season is not over yet.

A lot of fun on the Drop Shot set up huh? I have used it a lot up this way. When you get bit, you get to become more involved in the hook set. Keeps you on your toes:Cool:

Congrats

WWO

LuckyCraft420
10-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Congratulations Dan! That is a beast! After all the time put in, it has finally payed off. I look forward to the day I get my next PB, hopefully it's not another year and a half away, haha. Great meeting you and the wife at HG4, its a shame it had to be at the end of the day though.

Nipple Twister
10-26-2012, 08:32 AM
YEAH DANO WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
How sweet buddy, sorry we missed being there but, as usual, your report puts us right there.......too cool buddy, Congrats!
What where ya using on the drop-shot?

manuel149
10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Congratulations on your new PB. Well earned and deserved.
I’m sure it had something to do with all that positive energy you gave out to the kids at HG4 fish off.
Can’t wait for the picture and your new PB to come.

5150fishn
10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Congrats on a new PB Hali! You put in the time and did your homework. It was nice meeting you at HG4 also!

PONTOON
10-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Dan,

Reading your post this morning put a smile on my face and I can't be more happy for a guy who has worked his tail off in the surf.......CONGRATULATIONS!:Thumbs Up:

I've enjoyed all of your text updates all throughout this summer and you are very deserving of your new PB halibut. Way to go Dan!:Applause:

dlmoo312
10-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Thats awesome! Congrats on your new PB halibut!
Your patience has paid off and with a whopping 31incher! You deserve it!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

radray
10-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Congrats on your new PB Halibut. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Raymond

SinCoast
10-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Congrats on that surfbutt and a new PB too! Thanks for the report.

detailer
10-26-2012, 03:14 PM
CONGRADULATIONS Dan on your PB. Your grandfather was a very wise man!

ILL PHIL
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
B-E-A-Utiful fish Dan!

skunked4life
10-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Beast! Couldn't have happened to a nicer person! Read my report from today. Thanks to you, i got one inch closer to a legal!

murrieta angler
10-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Brothea Dan
I was working in Laguna Beach when I received your text and as soon as I read it, I looked across the street at the beach and cursed the jackasses that had it closed...:Angry:
Once again, congrats on a great looking PB Halibut...:Envious:
I hope you headed back there today after finding that "Honey Hole"...:Beer Toast:
Take care and thanks for the heads up!!!
Robert
<><

bloox8
10-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Congrats Dan! :Applause:

31inch!!! You definitely deserved this one. All of your detailed reports, including this one, have been so informative and helpful. There's still much for me to learn about conditions, so these reports definitely help. Thank you!

-Thien

troublehook
10-26-2012, 04:07 PM
You totally deserve that fish Dan, way to go on the release. :Big Grin:
I know it won't be long until you get an even bigger one. :Wink:
Good to see you at HG4. :Cool:

Newfishsmell
10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Right on Dan !!! Congrats on your new PB.
Looks like the drop shot worked out well for you :Smile:.

Thanks for the great report with pics.

Wingnut
10-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Dan, Dan, Dan... you are a fine example of "good things happen the good people."
You went above and beyond the call of duty in your support for HG4, that the Man above had no choice but to reward you with such a fine prize. :Big Grin:
Seriously my friend, I couldn't be happier for you... that is one beautiful Hali. :Thumbs Up:
Welcome to the 30" Flattie Club and I'm sure you will improve on that PB soon. :Wink:

peanutbutter
10-26-2012, 08:16 PM
WOW !!!!!!! :Applause: STANDING OVATION

Armofisher818
10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Nice Dan, you worked Hard and it finlly payed off. 13/4 years of waiting is pretty hard work if you ask me. And i want to thank you for alwaysncommenting on everyones threads and encouraging everyone to get back on the water. God job and tight lines.

jinbow
10-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Greeeaaat Job Dan!
It's great to feel that you know there is fish there and just keep casting. :Cool:
Congratulations on you PB Halibut. And 8 butts in a day, should also be some kind of record. That is crazy.

I'll be hitting the beach tomorrow. Hope I get some luck too.

Jaysuuun
10-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Dan the man in the 30 inch club! WTG brotha you definitely deserve it! I thought it was work calling me in the middle of the night when i got your text, so i ignored it. LOL I gotta give the drop shot a try sometime in the surf. Seems to be pretty effective during this time of year.

PTN
10-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Awesome job Dan! :Not Worthy: Glad to hear you mixing up your technique other then throwing the LC :Big Grin: What's funny is I have a dropshot rod but I throw my LC's with it :ROFL: I do like the drop shot because I feel like I'm more in contact with my bait. Got to have the right technique for the right conditions. I'm still after my first legal hali in the surf. Congrats again on your PB and joining the 30 inch club.

rydharde
10-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Holy smokees! Nice hali, must have been a great fight!

ml8fish
10-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Wow! very nice fish, congrats

SP Dan
10-28-2012, 11:21 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :UDaMan: You have definitely been putting in some time over this summer. You were DUE!!! Absolutely awesome my friend!:Thumbs Up: I had to change tactics to get my first legal of the summer. With all the wind we were having today, the LC was gonna be tough to fling. That dropshot had paid off for both of us. I can't be any happier for you.
Congratulations DAN!!!!!
Don

Hi ya Don,
Yeah man....when I get a species in my RECON Sniper cross hairs......I don't always know when....but it's mine!
Thanx for responding to my report Brotha!
SP Dan <"))><

Look at you brotha....... The smile says it all. It took me much longer to join the 30" club my friend and I could tell you were on a mission. In the morning we were discussing dropshot techniques while you were shopping for some new weapons. You hit your AO with determination and a PB in your cross hairs buddy! She was lucky that you only interrogated her and sent her back to warn all flatties in the area that you will be back some day but as a true SWAT member you lived by the code that we must ALWAYS release our PB flattie out of respect. Great job Dan but now you have raised the bar......shall we say a 42" in those cross hairs!!!
You definately have what it takes .... Determination and Desire but more important.....You LOVE to FISH! It shows in every way.

WOW.... A striper from the sand and then a 55" Leo and now a PB flattie. I can't wait to see what you are going to pull off by the end of the year!

Keep up the good work and see you soon on the sand my friend!

Hi ya Mr Bones!
What can I say to the Legend?
You have been there with me since day 1 sir! Thank you Mike!
Can we make that (2) two beached Stripe Bass this year.....:Smile:
Thanx for reading my report Brotha!
SP Dan <"))><

Congratulations Dan :Applause::UDaMan::Applause:

At 6 pm the wind was really blowing and the surf was up (overhead) at Torrance.
Lots of kelp down there lately, you must of been more north.
Great job on the PB.
DR

Thanx DR,
Always a pleasure to have you respond on one of my reports Martin!
Thank you for the continuous sharing of all of your vital ENTEL with all of us on this site! :Thumbs Up:
SP Dan <"))><

Well DR he must not of come this far North! The sea has looked like something out of a novel. Add great quotes Here ( )

Well Dan that sounds like a great fish to add to your PB list. I respect your efforts even more in the conditions we have been having. It also shows that the season is not over yet.

A lot of fun on the Drop Shot set up huh? I have used it a lot up this way. When you get bit, you get to become more involved in the hook set. Keeps you on your toes:Cool:

Congrats

WWO

Hey there Bill,
Definitely not up North your way! ha ha ha!
Luv the drop shot technique also!
Thanx for reading my report Brotha!
SP Dan <"))><

Congratulations Dan! That is a beast! After all the time put in, it has finally payed off. I look forward to the day I get my next PB, hopefully it's not another year and a half away, haha. Great meeting you and the wife at HG4, its a shame it had to be at the end of the day though.

Hi ya Ken,
She was worth the wait indeed!
Thanx for reading my report!
SP Dan <"))><

YEAH DANO WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
How sweet buddy, sorry we missed being there but, as usual, your report puts us right there.......too cool buddy, Congrats!
What where ya using on the drop-shot?

Hi Ya John,
I missed you being there also!
We've been there together since our early challenge days!
Thank for reading my report!
SP Dan <"))><

Congratulations on your new PB. Well earned and deserved.
I’m sure it had something to do with all that positive energy you gave out to the kids at HG4 fish off.
Can’t wait for the picture and your new PB to come.

Hi ya Manuel,
Thanx for taking the time to read my fishing report!
It was great to see you again at HG-4!
SP Dan <"))><

Congrats on a new PB Hali! You put in the time and did your homework. It was nice meeting you at HG4 also!

Thank you 5150fishn,
She was soooooooo worth the wait!
thanx for reading my report!
SP Dan <"))><

Dan,

Reading your post this morning put a smile on my face and I can't be more happy for a guy who has worked his tail off in the surf.......CONGRATULATIONS!:Thumbs Up:

I've enjoyed all of your text updates all throughout this summer and you are very deserving of your new PB halibut. Way to go Dan!:Applause:

Hi ya PONTOON,
Thank you Terry.
You have been a positive support since day one!
I am respectful and very proud of each and every fish that I beach. I give thanks to the man above!
thanx for reading my report my Brotha!
SP Dan <"))><

iLLest
10-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the 30" club brotha!
That's a beautiful fish you got there, Poseidon rewarded you very nicely.
Your dedication is among the finest I have seen, and with dedication comes a nice reward.
Very nice job Dan! :Envious:

saltman
10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Dan,

That the way to do it! Congrats on you P.B. I look forward to see your next post!
Saltman.

dkinla
10-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Woah! Congrats!!! All that hard work and persistence definitely paid off!!!

Nice to let your PB go...

ToadsToadsOnly
10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Congrats on the new PB halibut Dan!

jerryG
10-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Congrats Dan! Well done and well deserved. As is the case time and time again persistence and patience pays big rewards. When it all comes together the feelings of satisfaction and accomplishment are priceless and the time and effort well worth it not to mention the knowledge you gain from the being on the water. We have been having a Santa Ana condition for the past several days and as crazy as this may sound many of my best days on the halibut in the surf have in Santa Ana (off shore wind) conditions. So much so that if I knew the Santa Ana's were going to be blowing I would try make an effort to get down to the beach to fish halibut. I really can't explain why halibut bite so well in Santa Ana conditions other than the off shore winds lay down the water like a lake and as a result the water also usually becomes crystal clear. The weather during Santa Ana conditions is typically warm and sunny. Halibut seem to really like clear water on bright sunny days which I found makes for tough conditions for just about all other species of fish but halibut. Looks the winds were blowing offshore when you made your catch. Anyways nice catch Dan the bar has been raised and a new PB is on the horizon keep up the good work.

JerryG

SP Dan
10-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Thats awesome! Congrats on your new PB halibut!
Your patience has paid off and with a whopping 31incher! You deserve it!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Thank you Danial
It definitely was worth the wait and all of the great sessions until we finally met on that beach!
SP Dan <"))><

Congrats on your new PB Halibut. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.

Raymond

Thanks Raymond,
It was my pleasure to share it with all!
Thanx for taking the time to read my fish report!
SP Dan <"))><

Congrats on that surfbutt and a new PB too! Thanks for the report.

Hi ya SinCoast,
Thanx for checking out my fish report!
SP Dan <"))><

CONGRADULATIONS Dan on your PB. Your grandfather was a very wise man!

Hi ya detailer,
Yes he was.....and thanx.....I appreciate it!
SP Dan <"))><

B-E-A-Utiful fish Dan!

Hi ya Ill Phil,
She was a gorgeous fish indeed.....thank you.
I appreciate that you took the time to read and respond to my fish report! :Thumbs Up:
SP Dan <"))><

Beast! Couldn't have happened to a nicer person! Read my report from today. Thanks to you, i got one inch closer to a legal!

Hey skunked4life,
Thank you!
Yours is on it's way!
Thank you for taking the time to read my report Ken!
SP Dan <"))><

Brothea Dan
I was working in Laguna Beach when I received your text and as soon as I read it, I looked across the street at the beach and cursed the jackasses that had it closed...:Angry:
Once again, congrats on a great looking PB Halibut...:Envious:
I hope you headed back there today after finding that "Honey Hole"...:Beer Toast:
Take care and thanks for the heads up!!!
Robert
<><

Hola Pistola!
I never expected it to be 31"! :EyePop:
I had the same hit happen again today but I was too anxious and pulled the bait right out of it's mouth! It happens!
I thought the hook was set by the heavy pull down! Oh well!
I'm hunting for the larger model now!
Thanx Brotha....for reading and responding to my post! :Cool:
SP Dan <"))><

Congrats Dan! :Applause:

31inch!!! You definitely deserved this one. All of your detailed reports, including this one, have been so informative and helpful. There's still much for me to learn about conditions, so these reports definitely help. Thank you!

-Thien

Hi ya Thien,
I was hoping that someone out there would find the INTEL to be useful.
Thanx for responding to my post!
SP Dan <"))><

You totally deserve that fish Dan, way to go on the release. :Big Grin:
I know it won't be long until you get an even bigger one. :Wink:
Good to see you at HG4. :Cool:

Hey troublehook,
Thanx for the kind words my friend!
It's always a pleasure to hook up with you Sir!
Thanx for taking the time to read and respond to my report! :Cool:
SP Dan <"))><

Right on Dan !!! Congrats on your new PB.
Looks like the drop shot worked out well for you :Smile:.

Thanks for the great report with pics.

Hi ya Newfishsmell,
Yea....I never thought that the DS would have been sooooo effective! Who'd thunk?!?
I'm still not willing to give up on my beloved LC's though!
I'm working on my DS skills so that I can eventually fish the deep water boilers with it!
Thanx for taking the time Chuck...... to read and respond to my report! :Cool:
SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
10-29-2012, 04:28 AM
Dan, Dan, Dan... you are a fine example of "good things happen the good people."
You went above and beyond the call of duty in your support for HG4, that the Man above had no choice but to reward you with such a fine prize. :Big Grin:
Seriously my friend, I couldn't be happier for you... that is one beautiful Hali. :Thumbs Up:
Welcome to the 30" Flattie Club and I'm sure you will improve on that PB soon. :Wink:

Hi ya Arthur,
Supporting the HG-4 Event just seemed like the right thing to do Sir!
I really have enjoyed the prize that the Man above rewarded me with!
I want to thank you for the all of the support and encouragement that you've thrown my way Commander!
Thank you also Brotha..... for taking the time to respond on my post!
SP Dan <"))><

WOW !!!!!!! :Applause: STANDING OVATION

Thank you peanutbutter
I'm very proud of this fish....indeed!

Nice Dan, you worked Hard and it finlly payed off. 13/4 years of waiting is pretty hard work if you ask me. And i want to thank you for alwaysncommenting on everyones threads and encouraging everyone to get back on the water. God job and tight lines.

Hi ya Armorfisher818,
It was a long time well spent preparing myself for this opportunity!
Thank you responding on my posting!
SP Dan <"))><

Greeeaaat Job Dan!
It's great to feel that you know there is fish there and just keep casting. :Cool:
Congratulations on you PB Halibut. And 8 butts in a day, should also be some kind of record. That is crazy.

I'll be hitting the beach tomorrow. Hope I get some luck too.

Hi ya jinbow,
Yes that was a lot of Butt....even for me!
I never thought that I would ever say that! ha ha ha!
They're scattered but they are out there!
Thanx for checking out my report Albert!
SP Dan <"))><

Dan the man in the 30 inch club! WTG brotha you definitely deserve it! I thought it was work calling me in the middle of the night when i got your text, so i ignored it. LOL I gotta give the drop shot a try sometime in the surf. Seems to be pretty effective during this time of year.

Hi ya Jaysuuun,
It was good to see you once again at this year's annual HG-4 Event!
I got tired of pulling salad off my lures and decided to give something else a try...it ended up being the DS!
I got lucky and it paid off for me!
Thanks for the positive words!
SP Dan <"))><

Awesome job Dan! :Not Worthy: Glad to hear you mixing up your technique other then throwing the LC :Big Grin: What's funny is I have a dropshot rod but I throw my LC's with it :ROFL: I do like the drop shot because I feel like I'm more in contact with my bait. Got to have the right technique for the right conditions. I'm still after my first legal hali in the surf. Congrats again on your PB and joining the 30 inch club.

Hi ya ptn,
Thanks for all of your kind words!
I just figure...... that longer I keep my line wet...... the better the odds are of my bait getting bit!
It's been a very good year for me so far!
Thanks for taking the time to check out my fishing report!
SP Dan <"))><

Holy smokees! Nice hali, must have been a great fight!

Hi ya rydharde,
She did put up 4 - 6 good line ripping pulls with lots of head shakes, but I believe it was her weight that made the difference in how she felt on the end of my line!
Thanks for responding to my fish report!
SP Dan <"))><

Wow! very nice fish, congrats

Thank you ml8fish

SP Dan
10-30-2012, 04:41 AM
Welcome to the 30" club brotha!
That's a beautiful fish you got there, Poseidon rewarded you very nicely.
Your dedication is among the finest I have seen, and with dedication comes a nice reward.
Very nice job Dan! :Envious:

Thank you Frank,
I really started believing everyone after being told over and over that it was just a mater of time.
Thant is so true....it's just a mater of time! WOW....the 30"+ club!
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my report!
SP Dan <"))><

Dan,

That the way to do it! Congrats on you P.B. I look forward to see your next post!
Saltman.

Thanx Ramiro,

It's been a long long road for this one to happen.
I'm hoping that they will come a little sooner now! :)

Woah! Congrats!!! All that hard work and persistence definitely paid off!!!

Nice to let your PB go...

Hi ya dkinla,

It was a no brainer....I was in a hurry to let this magnificent fish swim free once again.
I was just grateful to have had the encounter with one of Poseidon's creatures!

Congrats on the new PB halibut Dan!

Thanx Jonathan,
I really made my day!

Congrats Dan! Well done and well deserved. As is the case time and time again persistence and patience pays big rewards. When it all comes together the feelings of satisfaction and accomplishment are priceless and the time and effort well worth it not to mention the knowledge you gain from the being on the water. We have been having a Santa Ana condition for the past several days and as crazy as this may sound many of my best days on the halibut in the surf have in Santa Ana (off shore wind) conditions. So much so that if I knew the Santa Ana's were going to be blowing I would try make an effort to get down to the beach to fish halibut. I really can't explain why halibut bite so well in Santa Ana conditions other than the off shore winds lay down the water like a lake and as a result the water also usually becomes crystal clear. The weather during Santa Ana conditions is typically warm and sunny. Halibut seem to really like clear water on bright sunny days which I found makes for tough conditions for just about all other species of fish but halibut. Looks the winds were blowing offshore when you made your catch. Anyways nice catch Dan the bar has been raised and a new PB is on the horizon keep up the good work.

JerryG

Hi ya Jerry

Every thing that you mentioned above is exactly true! You definitely know your stuff!
I can't wait to see what will be my next PB! :) WOW! I'm in the 30"+ club! Yahoo!

frankjz
10-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Awesome! Awesome! What a great fish and a great story to go along with it. Thanks!

blackwater
10-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Well deserved Dan, you're living proof that persistence pays off! :Big Grin:

sidified
10-31-2012, 02:33 AM
Well, I'm late to the party, Dan'l, but I couldn't let this monumental moment pass without adding my cudos for your bumping up you PB hali...and a serious bump at that.. I would have loved to have seen the grin on your face as you had your 12 minute E ticket ride.. Great seeing you a HG4.. what a servant's heart you have.. and great to meet Ruby..
Cheers,
Sid

flyngby
11-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Dan,

Awsome upgrade on the PB!

If anyone of us deserved a great fish after your "Energizer Bunny" effort working up and down the sands at HG4 it would be you Brother!

Congrats!

Steve

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/fireman1.gif

SP Dan
11-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Awesome! Awesome! What a great fish and a great story to go along with it. Thanks!

Hi ya Frank,
Yeah....it was a good road and I had a lot of great adventures along the way and now I can also include this fantastic memory!

Well deserved Dan, you're living proof that persistence pays off! :Big Grin:

Hi ya blackwater,
Thank you for your encouragement and acknowledgement! I have a new lasting memory and a new goal now!

Well, I'm late to the party, Dan'l, but I couldn't let this monumental moment pass without adding my cudos for your bumping up you PB hali...and a serious bump at that.. I would have loved to have seen the grin on your face as you had your 12 minute E ticket ride.. Great seeing you a HG4.. what a servant's heart you have.. and great to meet Ruby..
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks my Brotha!
I truly believe that the E-ticket ride actually started once I got the visual on this brute in the skinny water.
I new it was a legal and larger than any that I've landed so far this year but once I had seen it ....a whole entirely new check list formulated and started flashing thoughts across my mind.....mistakes by be were not allowed at this moment in time!
Rhonda was quite impressed with our entire SWAT Family and with also meeting you Sid!
Thank you for all of your kindnesses and positive thoughts my friend!
I'll let Rhonda aka "Ruby" know that you also enjoyed meeting her as well. :Big Grin:

Dan,

Awsome upgrade on the PB!

If anyone of us deserved a great fish after your "Energizer Bunny" effort working up and down the sands at HG4 it would be you Brother!

Congrats!

Steve

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/fireman1.gif

Hi ya brotha!
You have always been a positive roll model in my quest for the larger flat species!
Thank you for the acknowledgement on my new PB Steve and I look forward to hitting-it-up in-the-salt with you again, hopefully in the near future!

RedondoSteve
11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
:EyePop::EyePop::Envious: Way to go. Great fish. Thanks for putting him back Dan!!! He will be bigger next time. Steve

Since being inducted into the S.W.A.T. Brotherhood back in January of 2011....my 1 3/4 year standing PB record for all of my legal Hali's has remained no greater than 22 1/2"....and this has been getting really old! :mad:
So instead of becoming impatient about the size of the fish.....I would try to remember the words my Grandfather would choose to say to me when he saw me becoming impatient, he would say:
"With patience.....all good things will come your way Dan...in due time". So I knew my time would come eventually! :Neutral:

Thursday 10-25-2012....South Bay Area, assaulted the spot from 1130 - 1545 hrs.
AO: ""Ol' Fathful"
Air temp: 72 degrees Fahrenheit, clear skies, windy at first but slowed down towards the end.
Water temp: 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Clear, no salad, schools of bait all around me with sea birds diving in every direction and right up to the shore line!
Sun rise: 0706. Sun set: 1806 hrs.
Moon: Waxing Gibbous.
Surf: 1- 2 ft, Swell: 0.5 ft, Sets: 13 secs.
Tide: OGT @ 1030 hrs 3.1 ft, LT @ 1248 hrs 0.9 ft, ICT @ 1430 hrs 0.1 ft.
Terrain: flat, wide sandy beach, no structure and only an outside trench.
Assault tactics: St. Croix 9'-6", 8-17 lb, Shamano Stradic 3000 CI4 reel with 15# flouro-carbon line and a drop shot set up.
iSolunar: :BFish::BFish:

After texting with my SWAT and FNN Brotha's over the early morning hours....I decided to hit up Baja Fish Gear in Lomita in order to pick up some drop shot supplies and then head out to my selected AO. My feet were wet by 1130 hrs.

Note: A special thanks to my S.W.A.T brothers- Wingnut and Lt Bones and my FNN Brother- fishshep for taking the time of explain the drop shot techniques to me; an avid LC thrower, and for getting me dialed in on the does and don't s of what gear to purchase solely by their experiences.

The positive thing about today was the surf and tide conditions were epic and I was now feeling hopeful again! I gave a quick thanks to Poseidon and stepped into the salt......I immediately began my fan casting routine and worked my way up the beach in one direction and then back the other way from where I came. I had quite a few hits, some good hard pull downs with out any takers....but some how I was able to beach (7) seven pancakes and (1) Lizard fish. No pictures taken of the pancakes ...what would be the point??.

I was rapidly approaching my departure time with nothing but pancakes under my belt once again and some how I kept convincing myself that "if I just cast in that direction one more time" ...well....this went on at least 30 or 50 casts..... when suddenly my rod tip pulls slow and heavy......and I think to my self...."sea weed???" and all of a sudden... ZZZZZzz followed by head shakes....Oh Yeah...Baby...it's on!
It was making line pulls to the left ZZzzzz and then to the right ZZzzzz...I calmed down once I knew I had a good hook set!

I finally got it to the front of the waves after approx 12 minutes of battling it and I quickly made the tail grab at 1515 hrs! "Oh...MAN'!...I couldn't believe it's size......it taped out at 31-inches, weighed 12.8 pounds and it became my new PB after waiting 1 3/4 years for this moment in time. Thank you Poseidon! :UDaMan:

After a quick CPR I fished for a little while longer and then headed home quite content. :Wink:

Thank you for taking the time to read about my new PB! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Untitled-9.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Untitled-10.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Dan3-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Dan4-1.jpg

SP Dan
11-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Hi ya RedondoSteve,

A special thanx to you brotha for introducing me to the vast world of "Surf Fishing"! :Thumbs Up:
You once told me about some Brotherhood of people on FNN that called themselves the "S.W.A.T.", and that if I were to ever encounter one of them in the salt.......well, to ask lots of questions and to learn as much as I could from these skilled anglers! Thanx Stevo for that sound advice!

You and I had literally spent hours together discussing gear: types and strengths of different lines, comparing rods and reels, all of the different knots, which sinker weights to use, etc. ....and you had also introduced me to the LC Lures, which I've been hooked on ever since!

Since those early days....until present....I have completely submersed myself into this amazing sport, fishing every chance I get from San Diego to Oxnard!

You've always said to me....."Dan.... it's just a matter of time before you land your first legal"! You were right Steve! And now I've landed this 31"er!

Thanx Steve for the nudge! That's all that it took for me to get started! :Cool:

PS....It's only cost me a small fortune up to date but it's been...."so well worth it"... brotha!

SP Dan <"))><

fishshep
11-05-2012, 08:28 PM
WOW !!!! :Big Grin: YOU DA MAN SPDAN !!! :LOL:

Thanks for the thanks, but I know it was

your persistance :Wink: my A.O. and drop style though !!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

See ya down there this week probably, sure is fun watching ya

catch the birds !!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mr_Dunev
11-06-2012, 09:16 AM
DAAAAAAAAAAAANGGGGGG!!!! :Worship::Worship::Worship::Worship:

That thing is HUUUUUUUGE!!!!! I can just imagine the checklist that was going through your head, hooks, drag, rod tip. Not to mention the speed your heart must have been racing, knowing you were just about to land a MONSTER... I have been out of the game for too long, and I always enjoy reading your texts about your morning adventures. Well done on keeping your spirits high and persisting through the tough summer. I have never seen you down when you get skunked, you take the positive always, and THAT my friend is something very rare.

I haven't read the other reply's to this, but I am assuming they all said "You deserved that fish" You never shortcuts, you put your time in, and it paid off. Kudos brotha!

I see the fish, as the next step to bigger and better fish, just waiting to go up against the infamous SWAT.

wishing you the best, from your brotha up north,
Lucas

SP Dan
11-09-2012, 05:49 AM
WOW !!!! :Big Grin: YOU DA MAN SPDAN !!! :LOL:

Thanks for the thanks, but I know it was

your persistance :Wink: my A.O. and drop style though !!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

See ya down there this week probably, sure is fun watching ya

catch the birds !!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hi ya fishshep,

Thanks for the Congrat's Daniel. :Smile:

Thank you for taking the time to read and to respond to my PB report. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

DAAAAAAAAAAAANGGGGGG!!!! :Worship::Worship::Worship::Worship:

That thing is HUUUUUUUGE!!!!! I can just imagine the checklist that was going through your head, hooks, drag, rod tip. Not to mention the speed your heart must have been racing, knowing you were just about to land a MONSTER... I have been out of the game for too long, and I always enjoy reading your texts about your morning adventures. Well done on keeping your spirits high and persisting through the tough summer. I have never seen you down when you get skunked, you take the positive always, and THAT my friend is something very rare.

I haven't read the other reply's to this, but I am assuming they all said "You deserved that fish" You never shortcuts, you put your time in, and it paid off. Kudos brotha!

I see the fish, as the next step to bigger and better fish, just waiting to go up against the infamous SWAT.

wishing you the best, from your brotha up north,
Lucas

Hi ya Lucas,

Thank you for all of the kind words brotha!
I wish that you could have been there to share; with me, in my moment! It was a "very good moment"....indeed!

It was really good to see you and Tammy at the HG-4 Event this year! :Thumbs Up:
I'm also super relieved to have heard the positive recovery news concerning your family member! :Dancing Banana: Yahoo!

Thanx brotha for taking the time to toss a little positive vib my way! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

exfactor
11-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Ok, I'll give you the Wingnut speech now, next target species is a 31 POUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Way Out
11-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Ok, I'll give you the Wingnut speech now, next target species is a 31 POUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good one Mikey!

WWO

SP Dan
11-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Ha ha ha! Way too funny Mikey!....Luv the Wingnut speech brotha! :)
A 31 pounder would match Mr. Bones's PB 41 " Hali.....I will need to step it up a notch to a 42"er at least! :)
Thanx for taking the time to read and respond to my posting brotha!

keepemlo
11-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Wow wow yeah,bro nice payoff for all that hard work yeah

SP Dan
11-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Wow wow yeah,bro nice payoff for all that hard work yeah

Stan the Man!

I thought that you would like this one! :)

Thanx for checking it out my friend! :Cool:

Dan the Man!