PDA

View Full Version : Which baitcaster for the surf

peanutbutter
10-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Hey guys and gals after enjoying a fun day at hg4 i won a phenix trifecta rod for baitcasting in the raffle and i was stoked and was wondering which reel would be best paired up with this rod i was thinking a shimano curado but someone wants to sell theirs and they have
Curado 200e5
Curado 200e7
Curado 50e
Curado 300dsv

ANY OTHER REEL/ADVICE WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED thanks:Big Grin:

.:LOLLY:.
10-24-2012, 04:50 PM
From those options I would pick the 200e7 but I think the D series 200 would be a better choice since they have tighter tolerances.

Nipple Twister
10-24-2012, 04:57 PM
..........Daiwa Luna 253..........

peanutbutter
10-24-2012, 05:18 PM
..........Daiwa Luna 253..........
id get that but its not in my price range

Cadillyak
10-24-2012, 06:00 PM
I agree with the Diawa. Love mine. I mean I figure, you got a free rod no rush to pair it up with something and settle. You would still be fishing had you not won that rod. Would you be looking for a reel if you had not won that rod. Just saying. Not saying that the curado's aren't great reels, just if there is something that you want, just be patient and get that. It will be much more rewarding. I have seen several Luna's up for sale in the past few months under the classfieds section. See if there is something out there for you. At least that's what I do. I have gotten deals on a 400te, Luna 253, a fishcat4, fatcat, force fins. All I did was keep an eye out. If not, I am sure someone can chime in which curado to get.

Nipple Twister
10-24-2012, 06:18 PM
id get that but its not in my price range

...........sorry for sounding so insistent, I agree with Simply_P, the Curados a excellent reels..... tough decision. Simply_P has got a good point, my last Luna purchase was a 253L off eBay at $200 so hang tight and look around........

Although we didn't get a chance to chat it was good to see you out there at HG4........

If I hear of anything I will let you know......Happy Hunting....:Wink:

peanutbutter
10-24-2012, 08:55 PM
I agree with the Diawa. Love mine. I mean I figure, you got a free rod no rush to pair it up with something and settle. You would still be fishing had you not won that rod. Would you be looking for a reel if you had not won that rod. Just saying. Not saying that the curado's aren't great reels, just if there is something that you want, just be patient and get that. It will be much more rewarding. I have seen several Luna's up for sale in the past few months under the classfieds section. See if there is something out there for you. At least that's what I do. I have gotten deals on a 400te, Luna 253, a fishcat4, fatcat, force fins. All I did was keep an eye out. If not, I am sure someone can chime in which curado to get.
true that but i have been wanting to get a curado or luna for a long time

peanutbutter
10-24-2012, 09:08 PM

...........sorry for sounding so insistent, I agree with Simply_P, the Curados a excellent reels..... tough decision. Simply_P has got a good point, my last Luna purchase was a 253L off eBay at $200 so hang tight and look around........

Although we didn't get a chance to chat it was good to see you out there at HG4........

If I hear of anything I will let you know......Happy Hunting....:Wink:
thanks sounds good and the hunt starts :)

Cadillyak
10-24-2012, 09:35 PM
May want to start on FNN's classifieds. On the second page there was a Luna 253 with a rod for sale for $200. No sold post do may still be available. Try it out. May get a good deal without needing a rod.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?67838-Daiwa-Luna-253-and-Daiwa-Procaster-7-flippin-stick

October
10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I found the curados a bit better for the Surf. I really like the low profile design for surf fishing, especially paired with a Clarus 9 foot medium action rod. I had a Daiwa Luna and a Calcutta 200GTB And i always ended up going back to the Curado to take with me. Also mainly because I like to be able to adjust the variable brake system on the fly. The round reels are a little more difficult to do that with and in the sand, its just iffy. But switching from a Lucky craft flash minnow 110 to a small 1/4oz carolina rig for perch, its very beneficial to have that VBS readily available.

EDIT: And I just realized you were the guy that PMed me about my listing, lol. And thats awesome that you won a Phenix! As you can see, I am partial to them. I have four right now but the collection keeps on growing! great company, great service, great products.