PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions on new fish finder/Navionics chip

Surfnsnowboard3
10-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Hey guys,

I have a new Hummingbird 597ci HD DI. First off, what's the difference between 200 or 455 khz on the 2D?

Second, what Navionics chip is good for lakes like DVL and Perris? How much will a chip help/do you recommend or waste of money?

Thanks

shinbob
10-24-2012, 05:51 PM
200 kHz is the traditional 2D sonar. 455 kHz is the down-imaging beam.

I've also wondered if the Navionics chip is worth it. You can see on their website the maps for the lakes around here. Some lakes are better than others. For me, Castaic seems to have a really detailed map, but Piru and Pyramid don't.

Surfnsnowboard3
10-24-2012, 06:43 PM
200 kHz is the traditional 2D sonar. 455 kHz is the down-imaging beam.

I've also wondered if the Navionics chip is worth it. You can see on their website the maps for the lakes around here. Some lakes are better than others. For me, Castaic seems to have a really detailed map, but Piru and Pyramid don't.

I may be wrong (I'll have to look at it again), but I believe the screen has a split shot option where is shows 200 kHz and 455 kHz for the traditional 2D sonar....that's the one I'm asking the difference about....

Rooster
10-25-2012, 04:56 PM
This page may shed some light > http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/downimagingintro.html

shinbob
10-25-2012, 04:58 PM
I may be wrong (I'll have to look at it again), but I believe the screen has a split shot option where is shows 200 kHz and 455 kHz for the traditional 2D sonar....that's the one I'm asking the difference about....

With my humminbird, the split screen option is for 83/200 kHz.

Surfnsnowboard3
10-25-2012, 05:10 PM
With my humminbird, the split screen option is for 83/200 kHz.

Ok yes, I was incorrect. What's the difference between 83 and 200 khz?

THANK YOU!

DEVOREFLYER
10-25-2012, 05:41 PM
200 kHz has the highest sensitivity and best target discrimination in shallower water.
83 kHz has a wider cone angle for greater water coverage but less sensitivity.

Surfnsnowboard3
10-25-2012, 06:48 PM
200 kHz has the highest sensitivity and best target discrimination in shallower water.
83 kHz has a wider cone angle for greater water coverage but less sensitivity.

You are the MAN. DEVOREFLYER installed my fish finder for me...FOR FREE. How many other fisherman would do this for you just out of kindness?

It worked great the first time I used it DEVOREFLYER, except every time I turn my boat on/off, the fishfinder turns off. Any idea why?

DEVOREFLYER
10-25-2012, 08:01 PM
It may be wired thru the switch on the dash and not to a permanent hot lead. We hooked it up to the hot that the original was wired to. Did the original turn off when the switch was turned off. Does the switch have an accessory setting. We may have to wire it to a permanate hot lead. Remember that the original had a fused lead that we tapped into.

drifter023
10-26-2012, 09:45 PM
You got to hook up right to the battery with the fuse link. Then it is good to go.

shinbob
10-27-2012, 11:15 AM
You got to hook up right to the battery with the fuse link. Then it is good to go.

When I got my boat, I had the same problem with it turning off every time I started the engine. Found out that it was wired from a common wire, through the fuseblock, into an accessory switch. So every time I started my motor, the voltage would drop enough for it to reset the fishfinder. Not a huge big deal, but kept it hard to keep a single tracklog for the entire day. It would also occasionally throw up "low voltage" error messages on the screen.

Decided to change the wiring to have a dedicated wire directly from the battery, through an in-line fuse, and into the fishfinder. All these problems went away immediately. Well worth the effort.

Surfnsnowboard3
10-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Actually I was right the first time. The split screen is 200 and 455. I don't see 83 as an option anywhere. Difference in that anybody ?

Vulture
11-01-2012, 06:05 PM
To answer your Naviocs question, It depends on they type of fishing you do. The chip will give a map of all western lakes in 5 foot increments. This is way better than those lake maps you buy. You can sit in your driveway and find spots most likely to hold fish then place a way point or icon on that spot. If you have GPS you can use your motor right over to your spot. I use mine a lot. Just my 2 cents.