PDA

View Full Version : Wet Wading - Plusses, Minuses, Tips?

DarkShadow
10-22-2012, 02:33 PM
So we've finally made the jump from being the fly fisherpeople at the edge of the stream, wondering how on earth we'd get across without drowning in the process, to ones that have wading gear, ready to fall into the drink and hopefully not drown.

While we noticed that there were some obvious 'cons' to wading, the main being the trout scattering for dear life as Godzilla with wading boots stomped around their feeding lanes, (which is equivalent to going hunting and lighting M-80s as you stalk your prey), we also realized that there were spots in the body of water that obviously held fish, but were out of reach from the edge of the stream, especially with foliage and canopies everywhere we looked.

So slowly, we've built up our arsenal. Waders, wading boots, wading belt, check.

But of course, since this is our first time, I'm sure we're missing something and I hope some of the chicken feather tossers here could chime in with some SAGE advice. Sage. Get it?! :-D *rimshot*

1. Neoprene or breathable.

We already got breathable waders, but were wondering what the advantages and disadvantages would be. Considering I felt like a sausage in its casing when I tried on neoprene, and the fact everyone else recommended breathables, is there any difference? If our bulk of our fly fishing will be done in the Eastern Sierras, and not the tundra covered Alaskan wilderness, is there any need for neoprene waders?

2. What to wear underneath?

I quickly found out that wearing nothing underneath waders feels a bit wee uncomfortable. What do you wear underneath? Do I need to go out and get the $500 Goretex Simms jacket? Am I ok with wearing Under Armour cold gear leggings and tops underneath my waders and then layer accordingly? Any particular socks? Will wool socks be sufficient?

3. Boots. Felt? Rubber? Interchangeable? Studs? WTF?!

I bought a pair of Korker Guide boots at a great price, which came with 2 different soles. One pair of 'Trail/Stream' soles, and a pair of felt soles. Now, and I know i've been told otherwise, those felt soles look like a disaster in the making. But, apparently they grip well in streams and on large rocks, but for some reason, I'm still dubious. Obviously, felt soles are probably not a good idea to be hiking in, but are a good choice for once you are inside the water. But, because it took me nearly 2 hours (and almost lost a pinkie in the process) to switch the soles off my Korkers (until I realized the box came with an 'assist key', duh) I don't know how efficient that'll be when the GF is on her 13th trout, and I'm still fiddling with my soles. She got some Simms wading boots with "Streamside" Vibram soles, but some recommended adding aluminum studs to aide with gripping. But, are these studs safe to be hiking in? Do people actually switch to their wading boots once they get to their destination and lug regular hiking boots as well?

4. Accessories?

Is there anything else that you recommend will make the experience easier for a bunch of newbs? I know (now) the importance of a wading belt. But is there anything else that people carry? Where the hell do you put your car keys? Last thing I need is for them to get carried downstream, or get wet and become non functional. I know some have suggested a wadding staff, but I think we won't be challenging any massive rivers yet to necessitate that. Plus I'm broke so I'll tear down a branch and use that if need be.

5. Anything else you may want to add?

seal
10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
On the Korkers question. Yes felt soles are excellent for traction for wet rocks stream fishing etc.. but you are also correct that they wear down very quickly when hiking. I have Korkers also to "wet wade" in (wet wading to me is not having a pair of waders on it's tossing on some trunks), I'm not sure what the "trail/stream" soles are but with my pair of wading shoes it came with a basic sole, probably what you are referring to as trail, and also a pair of sticky soles. The sticky soles are EXCELLENT grippers, if you do not have a pair you can pick them up via Korkers website.

Car keys? Most waders come with a small pocket inside that work perfect fot that.

I wear a light pair of underarmor long pants underneath unless it's in the dead of winter then gotta go a little thicker like midweight.

DarkShadow
10-22-2012, 04:45 PM
(wet wading to me is not having a pair of waders on it's tossing on some trunks)

http://www.ourhonordefend.com/wp-content/uploads/the_more_you_know.jpg

See? I didn't even know the correct terminology. You are correct, wet wading is the official name of what I used to do back in the day when I fished Piru Creek and it got hot and I jumped in!

Anybody got a fly fishing dog I can borrow for the week? Pictures look so much better with them in 'em.

http://imageshack.us/a/img502/1082/7904579manflyfishingwit.jpg

teejay
10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I bought a pair of the lightweight Sim’s boots with the streamside tread this summer. Although comfortable while offering good traction on the trail, I found the traction on smooth algae covered rocks and logs in the creek to be dicey -slipped and took a couple of falls. I will be adding some of the aluminum cleats.

seal
10-23-2012, 08:30 AM
The Korkers sticky soles also can be purchased with studs, the same thing holds true with the Korkers as the Sim's a little moss will send you in the drink.

Cadillyak
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't know too much about wading but I do know a little. I can't remember the exact regulations, but in some places, having a felt sole isn't allowed as they could transfer invasive species. Not exactly 100% on that one. Also, I have heard that silk great to use as a first layer under waders. Probably feels good too. lol:Smile:

shinbob
10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
I bought a pair of the lightweight Sim’s boots with the streamside tread this summer. Although comfortable while offering good traction on the trail, I found the traction on smooth algae covered rocks and logs in the creek to be dicey -slipped and took a couple of falls. I will be adding some of the aluminum cleats.

I have the same soles, and was really disappointed in the wet traction. I put on those carbide screw-in studs, and wow, what a difference! Best traction ever, really increased my wading confidence and safety. Far better than felt, and noticeably better than those machine-screw type cleats. I hike with them, I know that this will wear them down eventually, but it's well worth the $40 if I have to replace them.

Skyler
10-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I've found that your sole material isn't nearly as important and proper balance and weight dispersion. Your main issues are going to come when you get in a hurry and start rushing things. You can only go so fast while waist-deep in moving water. Keep this in mind. Also, if you fall, don't be afraid to drop your rod and use your hands to break your fall. I generally toss the rod away from me when I start to go down. I can usually self arrest, and the rod is usually stuck in the next log jam downstream.

That said, felt is great on river rocks...and only river rocks. If you hike rough terrain you'll see just how versatile it truly is (n't). I prefer a non-slip rubber sole with an aggressive tread pattern myself. Helps when you are climbing slopes and boulders. Which you will be doing quite a lot of when you hit the deeper, "unwadeable" stretches.

As for breathable vs. neoprene, breathable's will be more comfortable. But if you fall in, they are going to get really heavy, really quick, Personally, I use simple rubber-lined nylon. Much lighter, and when you are hiking several miles, that definitely makes a difference.

City Dad
10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Dude, forget neoprene unless you actually do go to Alaska.

My favorite under garments are silk... but it tends to stain, so I usually go with a pair of light cotton long underwear - not thermal long johns - just regular cotton. I'm pretty sure I saw 'em at Sport Chalet.

As far as boots go, felt does provide better traction on slippery rocks - but I believer there are some concerns about it as a mode of snail larva transfer. I don't know what the regs are.

If money is not a major issue, I'd try out a model of boot that accommodates swappable soles. But if I had to chose one over another, I'd go with felt... except in snow. Felt-soled boots are lethal along a snowy bank.

All of that said, I almost never use waders up Bishop/Mammoth way. I wear a quick dry pants with zip-off legs.

DarkShadow
10-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Dude, forget neoprene unless you actually do go to Alaska.

I've seen Alaska State Troopers. In one ten minute segment, the trooper had to deal with a bear, a poacher, AND a meth head all in one call. I can go to Piru Creek for that.

My favorite under garments are silk...

We have FNN's own Henry the XIII here!

If money is not a major issue, I'd try out a model of boot that accommodates swappable soles. But if I had to chose one over another, I'd go with felt... except in snow. Felt-soled boots are lethal along a snowy bank.

I actually got a great deal on some interchangeable Korkers. But because our trip starts tomorrow, there's no way I can order the other soles that come with the metal studs. If I come back home with a full body cast, you know why.

All of that said, I almost never use waders up Bishop/Mammoth way. I wear a quick dry pants with zip-off legs.

And you don't worry about shrinkage?!?! I have an image to uphold.

City Dad
10-23-2012, 01:03 PM
And you don't worry about shrinkage?!?! I have an image to uphold.

I never go fishing without my Lefty Kreh cod-piece/stripping basket. Prevents my coils from tangling.

DarkShadow
10-23-2012, 01:10 PM
I never go fishing without my Lefty Kreh cod-piece/stripping basket. Prevents my coils from tangling.

I had my coils tangle up before.

But that usually was the result of spending too much time at the Mammoth Brewing Company.