PDA

View Full Version : Bbl 10/20

Poxy Boggards
10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Hit up Big Bear as a warm up for the local trouting that is about to start.

Got to the lake at around 7:30 AM, it was in the low 30's up there early in the morning, and I was glad I brought my jacket. Got inspected at the east launch and headed over to Boulder Bay to launch the yak. Boulder bay was full of weeds that looked to be going through a die off.

Headed out from boulder bay and made my way west toward that dam. Had a couple of bites before I got the first one to stick on an SC shiner, 3/4 of a pound recent stocker. Got a couple more quick bites, but no more fish on the stringer until I hit the northwest shore by the dam. Saw a float tuber by the dam with a really nice stringer. Picked up another little stocker then headed back around that area a few times for nada.

Started the drift back towards boulder bay, wind was blowing hard at this point and I was just drifting when I got bit again, but this one felt nicer and actually pulled some drag. Reeled in a beatiful hook jaw holdover with a nice full tail. I'd guess it was about 2 pounds, maybe 2 1/2. Picked up another holdover right at the entrance to boulder bay, another beauty, no hook jaw and just a tad smaller then the 1st holdover. Sorry no pics! Also caught a few panfish. There was a group of 3 tubers up by the damn that were killing the panfish on minijigs.

All in all a fun day on the water! I'd guess that in a few more weeks the weed line will die back as colder temps prevail. Good luck and tight lines.

JAG107
10-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Nice report! Glad you could get on some delicious holdovers. Interesting that the panfish are still biting...

DC5fishR
10-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Sounds like you had an awesome trip, good job on the hook jaw, thanks for the report man.

Rooster
10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Great report bro, So how is the Yak? You like trolling in that? I bet you being so stealth it is going to be a blast. So give us some details. Better then the prowler?

Poxy Boggards
10-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I sold the Prowler, the wife was making ultimatums...

This was my first time trolling for trout in the revolution, and I think it was a success. My take on the yak vs. tube thing is different tools for different situations. What I really like about the Hobie is the ability to cover much more ground and the ability to troll lures effectively. At a lake like Big Bear, I was able to cover alot more water then I would be able to work in a tube. But I still have my old fish cat 4 that I can take to smaller bodies of water like Corona or Laguna Niguel.

DC5fishR
10-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I was thinking about getting either a fish cat 4 deluxe or a prowler, it would be my first float tube. Since you've had both what do you think are the advantages/disadvantages other than the price???

Poxy Boggards
10-23-2012, 12:02 PM
The prowler is definetly the top of the line.
Pro's:
Detachable gear storage - This is a really nice feature becuase you don't have to unload and reload everything if you are planning to jump on a boat or fish the shore one day.
Higher Drier Ride- The Prowler keeps you higher out of the water for easier casting, also a bonus when the water get's really cold in January.
More Overall Room - The prowler has more storage, and a larger place for you behind.

Cons: Price - Totally worth the extra dollars if you can get one for a deal.

FC4 Deluxe-
Pros:
Smaller ride- which makes it easier to transport inflated. This also helps with your profile on the water keeping you from getting blown around quite as hard in the wind.
Price- nuff said
Cons - Not a comfortable as the prowler

Troutman65
10-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Nice going Wess . see you on the water soon