PDA

View Full Version : Bait n Wait Saturday at Pyramid

fishinone
10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Went to Pyramid last Saturday to fish for striper with Wayne.

We stopped at Gallion's in Castaic for sandwiches and bait on the way. Steve asked me if I had tried ghost shrimp for striper. I think that I made a face but he said people had been doing well with them. I picked up a package. I figured that it wouldn't hurt.

I baited my first pole a with a ghost shrimp but I really wasn't expecting much. Well it was the first bait hit. I missed the hook set and lost the bait. Of coarse I re-baited with the ghost shrimp. It was the next bait hit also.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMAG0283.jpg
I was surprised to find a smallmouth at the end of my line.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMAG0284.jpg
The bites were scarce and the next fish was caught on ghost shrimp too.

After that one the bite stopped for a couple hours. We experimented with different baits until we found something that got us a few hits from striper.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMAG0285.jpg
We were surprised when Wayne caught another smallmouth. This one was caught on anchovy.

The slow pick on striper continued continued through the day. The weather seemed to play a role. We got most of our hits when the wind swing around and came down the side canyon.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/IMAG0286.jpg
I think this was the marine layer blowing over the mountains.

We ended the day at last call, ith 13 striper to 3 lb and those 2 smallmouth.

cutbait
10-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the report.

In your opinion which was the best bait?

dk4885
10-22-2012, 10:37 AM
nice report ron, gost shrimp and pile worms are used alot around here for striper.

fishinone
10-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the report.

In your opinion which was the best bait?

In the mid morning 8:00 to 10:00 am the ghost shrimp was the best bait. It was the only thing that got hit.

Later in the day the best sardines that we had were the best bait. we ran out of those and the anchovies worked too but didn't seem to be as good.

nice report ron, gost shrimp and pile worms are used alot around here for striper.

Where do you get your pile worms?

dk4885
10-22-2012, 11:58 AM

most of the bait stores in this area have them. 12 buck a doz

koifish
10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Nice catch Ron.

fishinone
10-23-2012, 06:46 AM

most of the bait stores in this area have them. 12 buck a doz[/QUOTE

I'll have to see about getting some. They sound like someort of ailment though

[QUO.TE=koifish;635070]Nice catch Ron.

Thank you.

How's the shore bite going? It has too go off soon on bait.

Coefficient13
10-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Seems like the striper that have shrimp in their bellies have a ton of them, small meals individually. I kinda thought you'd have to land your shrimp in a gathering of shrimp to attract any real striper action.

Thanks for the report. Not one for bait fishing, but I had wondered about the little guys and if they worked alone/where you get them.

TroutOnly
10-23-2012, 07:32 AM
greencarpboy has pile worms but im not touching them,,,,,,,,,,ghost shrimp trolly was catching the surf perch with them at the surf event,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nice catching ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,

CAPT'N
10-23-2012, 05:25 PM
So that's what a Striper looks like.............

Ian
10-23-2012, 09:00 PM
No steady boils?

FISHBAIT
10-23-2012, 10:54 PM
No boils yet, but the weather is changing fast. We should see them soon.

Fishthewhaler
10-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Try JOY tackle in KTown...Lugs all day

fishinone
10-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Seems like the striper that have shrimp in their bellies have a ton of them, small meals individually. I kinda thought you'd have to land your shrimp in a gathering of shrimp to attract any real striper action.

Thanks for the report. Not one for bait fishing, but I had wondered about the little guys and if they worked alone/where you get them.

I guess there could have been shrimp there.

fishinone
10-24-2012, 07:48 AM
greencarpboy has pile worms but im not touching them,,,,,,,,,,ghost shrimp trolly was catching the surf perch with them at the surf event,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nice catching ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Bob,

I thought about going to Hunting Giants but ever time I go surf fishing I catch salad or sand sharks and skates.

So that's what a Striper looks like.............

LOL, Come to the lake fishing and well let you touch one.

fishinone
10-24-2012, 07:58 AM
No steady boils?

I saw two blowups, one in the channel and in the middle of the lake.

No boils yet, but the weather is changing fast. We should see them soon.

I'm hoping.

Try JOY tackle in KTown...Lugs all day

Oh! They are lug worms. I guess you don't have to see a Doctor for that.;-)

I thought they were getting them out of piles.