PDA

View Full Version : Troutman65's tri-tip Marinade * Updated w Grilling instr.*

Troutman65
08-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Ok folks. Many requests for this.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/americaninc9/tritipcooking.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/americaninc9/tritipdripping.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/americaninc9/tri.jpg
I do make my own sauces but when It tastes this good out of the bottle why spend all that time when you can be enjoying yourself doing somthing else.

1 bottle Soy Vay very teriyaki sauce. 22 oz.

1 bottle Stubbb's spicy Bar-B-Q Sauce. 18oz.

These store bought sauces are very good. Each super market will have differant BBQ sauce selection. I have tryed mixing alot of sauces together and I found this combo works great for tri-tip.

Take 1 tri-tip 2 1/2 to 3 lbs

Put tri-tip in one gallon size zip lock type bag.

Pour in a mesuring cup 1/2 bottle of the Soy Vay sauce. 11 oz.
Pour that into the zip lock bag with the tri-tip.
pour in a mesuring cup 1/2 bottle Stubb's spicy Bar-B-Q Sauce 8oz.

Close the bag very good. Then I squeese the tri-tip and bag to mix sauces together for a min. or so. You might want to put another bag around this to make sure it don't leak in your frig.

I put into the frig. and let it set. Every day I will pick up the bag and mix it again and turn the tri-tip on the other side.

You can marinate up to the date on the meat package says its good to when you buy the meat.I ended up marinating for 5 days. You want to put the meat in the coldest place in you referif you do it that long.

You can also marinate the meat say for 3 days and then freeze it in a freezer type plastic bag. When your ready to BBQ, just pull out the frozen tri-tip w/ sauce out the night before you BBQ.

I hope you enjoy this sauce as much as I do.

I will post later on how I BBQ tri-tips so they come out so good.

Thanks for all the nice complements

Troutman65

Ok , I perfer charcoal bbqing on a 22'' Webber Kettle BBQ.

What I do is grill using the indirect method. I stack the coals all to one side of the kettle. I use alot of coals . 3/4 of a small bag. I let them ash over then I put the Tri-Tip on the grill and over the hot spot to sear the meat. I do this to seal in the juices of the meat. The fire will flair up thats ok. Turn the meat a few times. This process takes 3 or 4 min. After that I put the Tri-tip off to the cool side of the grill and I put the lid on the bbq. I let the tri-tip grill with the fat side up. This lets the flavoring drip into the meat. Any left over sauce I put into a heat proof bowl and will dip the tri-tip into the sauce a number of times during the cooking process untill all the sauce is gone. I leave the tri-tip cooking between 45 min. to an hour and a half. It depends on on how large the tri-tip is and how hot the fire is. I like to slow cook my tri-tip. I use a meat thermonter to check the temp. When the meat reaches 140* I take it off. I let it rest for 5 to 8 min. This lets the juices redistrubite in the meat. If you don't let it rest and just cut into the meat , all the juices will run out of it. Not good. I cut the tri-tip at an angle and into thin strips.

Propane grilling instructions will follow.

Troutman65

Ok , Propane grilling tri-tip. I get the grill hot . Sear the meat for a few min. Most Propane grills have some kind of rack in the lid of the grill. Thats where you want to put the tri-tip to slow cook . After you sear the meat turn the burners onto low . This method works good if you have the racks in the lid . If there is no racks in your propane grill you can sear the meat on the grill and put it in the oven at 325* and do it that way. It comes out good in the oven too. Just maks sure the meat gets to between 135* and 140 * for med rare in the center of the tri-tip. The ends will be a more well done . If you don't like it that rare then you can cook it til temp reaches 155* till 160*. I personally dont care for my tri-tip to be well done.

I hope this helps everyone out and I hope you all enjoy this at home with your familys.

God bless

Patrick, TM65 Grillin & Chillin

Doc Holliday
08-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Damn too bad i didnt get to try any out at the Legends event. Couldnt make it out that day. After reading all the posts i feel like i shouldnt have missed it.

Oh well, theres always trout season.

Thanks for the recipe TM65, gotta try that sometime.

Jesse.

Oz
08-29-2007, 07:47 PM
it was mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm goood :lol:

one_leg
08-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I bet Troutman is catching CATFISH right now at SARL.

The Tri-Tip was primo, dude.

One_Leg

Troutman65
08-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks everyone

CAPT'N
08-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Troutman65,
that was some awesome Tri Tip at the event. Thanks for th sauce, and I hope to drink a few cold ones over a BBQ with you soon!

Capt'n

budman8
08-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Troutman your the MAN!!!!

Your Awesome BRO!!

The BEST bbq I had for a while! Thanks for the recipe, I have to try it now!!!!

Budman8

nandob25
08-30-2007, 11:35 PM
thank you for sharing your recipe!!! now for the cooking instructions and i can throw down some of the best tri-tip i've ever tasted!

U duuuuuuh maaaaaaan!!!!
:udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman:

Troutman65
08-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Troutman65,
that was some awesome Tri Tip at the event. Thanks for th sauce, and I hope to drink a few cold ones over a BBQ with you soon!

Capt'n

Capt'n it was nice to meet you and your son at the Legends event. I hope we can fish together somtime. Fishy Boy has skills at fishing . You must be very proud of him. Your truly blessed.

Troutman65

Troutman65
08-31-2007, 12:38 AM
thank you for sharing your recipe!!! now for the cooking instructions and i can throw down some of the best tri-tip i've ever tasted!

U duuuuuuh maaaaaaan!!!!
:udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman: :udaman:

Ok enough of that stuff . Iam getting :oops:

I will edit this post tomorrow with the grilling instructions . I use charcoal and a Webber 22" Kettle bbq. That really has alot to do with the out come of what ever you BBQ. Propain is alittle different but I will give instructions on how to grill a tri-tip on that stlye grill also. I really do prefer charcoal. Sorry for you all having to wait so long.

God bless everyone

Grillin & Chillin

Troutman65

Troutman65
08-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Troutman your the MAN!!!!

Your Awesome BRO!!

The BEST bbq I had for a while! Thanks for the recipe, I have to try it now!!!!

Budman8

Thanks Budman8. I have up dated this post.

TM65

nandob25
09-04-2007, 04:28 PM

U duuuuuuh maaaaaaan!!!!

Ok enough of that stuff . Iam getting :oops:

I will edit this post tomorrow with the grilling instructions . I use charcoal and a Webber 22" Kettle bbq. That really has alot to do with the out come of what ever you BBQ. Propain is alittle different but I will give instructions on how to grill a tri-tip on that stlye grill also. I really do prefer charcoal. Sorry for you all having to wait so long.

God bless everyone

Grillin & Chillin

Troutman65

Sorry for just replying, my account was AOL for a while. Its working again! Woo hoo! I'll be going out to buy the stuff hopefully tomorrow and i'll try to grill it up this weekend before my son football game. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for sharing.

Troutman65
09-04-2007, 07:59 PM
It was not your account that was messed up. It was the site .

I am glad your going to give it a try this weekend. Just cook it slow, away from the heat.

TM65

ghetto dad
09-04-2007, 08:00 PM
OMG!!! you shared the secret !!! thanks TM

nandob25
09-04-2007, 09:02 PM
It was not your account that was messed up. It was the site .

I am glad your going to give it a try this weekend. Just cook it slow, away from the heat.

TM65
yeah.. thanks tm65... i found out after getting back on.

Troutman65
09-04-2007, 09:05 PM
OMG!!! you shared the secret !!! thanks TM

Dude, it was way to good not to share with everyone.

I hope everyone enjoys the tri-tip at home with there familys. :D

Troutman65

johnsfishing
09-04-2007, 09:36 PM
seriously... what the heck is tri-tip!!!!! :? :? :? :? :? :?

sansou
09-04-2007, 10:42 PM

It's a fishing technique for adults.

Troutman65
09-04-2007, 10:55 PM

It's a fishing technique for adults.

Sansou, You are one seriously funny Dude.

:rofl:

Johnsfishing, Its a cut of beef. Santa Maria Style tri-tip as been around for years. I just gave it my own twist. Next time your Mom goes to the super market go along to help her out and to check out the beef section . Almost every store will carry that cut of beef. Ask the butcher to show you the tri-tip .

Troutman65

sansou
09-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Don't believe him Johnsfishing.

The "tri-tip" is what Triceratops dinosaur used to mate with.

Be cool, stay in school.

Troutman65
09-04-2007, 11:51 PM

Be cool, stay in school.

:shock:

Yeah , stay in school !!!

Tm65

ThemBastards
09-05-2007, 01:21 PM

Be cool, stay in school.

HAHAAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHHHAAHa

No seriously though.

"Dont be a fool, tri-tip your tool"

ThemBastards
09-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Im guessing that Soy Vay is a soy based teriyaki sauce. Am I correct? Have you had success with normal sauces.

Troutman65
09-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Im guessing that Soy Vay is a soy based teriyaki sauce. Am I correct? Have you had success with normal sauces.

I have tried other teriyaki sauces and the Soy Vay is by far is the best. Check out Budman8's report in the fresh water section . He posted some photos of the tri-tip there.

I have tried all kind sof different sauces for tri-tip. This one is freakin out of this world. Look at the pics. Tell me if your mouth don't start to water.

Tm65

ThemBastards
09-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh I saw them. Very nice. I dont know if I can wait 3 days to marinade. I will force myself.

Troutman65
09-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Everyone that tries out the tri-tip my way please post on here to let me know how it turned out for you.

TROUTMAN65

one_leg
09-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Would it work on a Tofu-Tip roast?

O_L

Troutman65
09-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Would it work on a Tofu-Tip roast?

O_L

You know it would.

Tofu takes on any flavor you put to it.

:pillow:

TM65

johnsfishing
09-05-2007, 07:12 PM
:lol: :lol: thanks funny guys 8)

Troutman65
09-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Johnsfishing, You know what a Tri-tip is now?

TM65

johnsfishing
09-05-2007, 10:30 PM

TM65

cut beef 8)

ThemBastards
09-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Here you go

[url=http://imageshack.us:16ef8]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3193/tritipez9.gif[/url:16ef8]

Troutman65
09-05-2007, 10:57 PM

TM65

cut beef 8)

Cool .

Troutman65
09-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Here you go

[url=http://imageshack.us:aade7]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3193/tritipez9.gif[/url:aade7]

Thanks TB.

Johnsfishing, there will be a test on all the cuts of beef. Study good.

TM65

johnsfishing
09-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Here you go

[url=http://imageshack.us:14bf8]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3193/tritipez9.gif[/url:14bf8]

Thanks TB.

Johnsfishing, there will be a test on all the cuts of beef. Study good.

TM65

yes thanks!! I will need to cram for the test being that it is after 11 pm :wink:
:tired:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :censored:

Troutman65
09-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Johnsfishing, You must learn to master the BBQ grill and all that is grilled. Some day Grasshopper, you will be able to walk on rice paper and leave no foot prints behind on your way to the grill.

TM( Kung fu Grill master) 65

CAPT'N
09-06-2007, 08:07 AM
I dont see the Hanging Tender ???

Wingnut
09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I dont see the Hanging Tender ???

Fisher-of-Men
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Sounds Good Tm65!

Yum! Yum!

Fisher-of-Men

flyfisher52
09-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Troutman can't wait to tri out the tri-tip recipe...Thanks for sharing with us..

God Bless

FF52

Sparky70
09-12-2007, 05:02 PM
TM65,
Killer recipe..........Question?.....Have U ever tried Apple or Hickory wood chips on your tri-tip recipe?
I'm gonna give this a try ASAP.
Thanks
P.S. I also use the indirect method at low temp., Makes a tri-tip so tender you can cut it with a FORK. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nandob25
09-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Here you go

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3193/tritipez9.gif[/url:bc66b]

With all of these fastfood chains making their new Angus burgers... where in the hell is that part??? :dedhorse:

Oh yeah, by the way TM65, went to Costco yesterday and bought a beautiful 4 1/2lbs Tri-tip and I will be going to the grocery store tonight to buy the sauces so that I can marinate it for the next three days. Looks like I will be able to try out your recipe this weekend when I throw it on the grill.

I just want to confirm... these are the two sauces... right?

http://www.soyvay.com/Its_Kosher.html

[url="http://www.essentialbbq.co.uk/product.php?productID=34222"]http://www.essentialbbq.co.uk/product.p ... ctID=34222 (http://imageshack.us:bc66b)

Wish me luck!!!

(I'll take pics of it)

Troutman65
09-13-2007, 12:45 AM
I use the first one. Veri Veri Teriyaki .

Yes, those are the ones.

I am sure your family will love it. Looking forward to hearing about and how it turned out for you.

TM65

Troutman65
09-27-2007, 06:55 PM
So anyone try out the Tri-Tip ?

Troutman65

troutdog
09-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Got one on the grill watching the USC game and waiting for a report from Barbiegirl and the Crew at Castaic this evening!

Doing JD bbq sauce instead though.

TD

Troutman65
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Got one on the grill watching the USC game and waiting for a report from Barbiegirl and the Crew at Castaic this evening!

Doing JD bbq sauce instead though.

TD

Cool . Hope they get some striper. Yum.

Thanks TD. See you Saturday the 6 th bro.

TM65

dalean08
10-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Sunday I put one in the frig. Thursday it will go on the grill I have always mixed the tri tip up everyday until cooking day I can't wait until thursday

Troutman65
10-02-2007, 05:44 PM
TM65,
Killer recipe..........Question?.....Have U ever tried Apple or Hickory wood chips on your tri-tip recipe?
I'm gonna give this a try ASAP.
Thanks
P.S. I also use the indirect method at low temp., Makes a tri-tip so tender you can cut it with a FORK. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sparky70, I had never added the smoke chips untill I BBQed at Budman8s house. He had a smoke chip box thingie that he put on the gas grill. It did add a nice flavor to the meat. Thanks for the relpy.

Troutman65

Troutman65
10-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Sunday I put one in the frig. Thursday it will go on the grill I have always mixed the tri tip up everyday until cooking day I can't wait until thursday

Cool !!!! I hope you enjoy it. !!!!

Thanks for the reply. Please give a reply and let us know how it turned out. :wink:

TM65

Troutman65
10-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Troutman can't wait to tri out the tri-tip recipe...Thanks for sharing with us..

God Bless

FF52

FF52, Thanks for the reply. I hope you and the wife enjoy it. Give a reply and let us know how it turned out.

TM65

nandob25
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM

Troutman65
yes sir i did try it and it was freaking awesome. i will post pics but i've been working six to seven days a week and havent been online much. it was a success! thank you for sharing!

Troutman65
10-07-2007, 11:18 PM

Troutman65
yes sir i did try it and it was freaking awesome. i will post pics but i've been working six to seven days a week and havent been online much. it was a success! thank you for sharing!

I am glad you enjoyed the recipie Nandob25. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Hopefully you will get some time to fish after working so much lately. Trout season is so close. Maybe see you on the water this season for some trout catching :wink:

TM65

nandob25
10-08-2007, 01:22 AM

Troutman65

I am glad you enjoyed the recipie Nandob25. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Hopefully you will get some time to fish after working so much lately. Trout season is so close. Maybe see you on the water this season for some trout catching :wink:

TM65

Okay here are the pics. I just got home from work and cant sleep so I might as well put them up now.

It was fun putting this together! I love experimenting in the kitchen. Thanks again for sharing the recipe. I only let it marinate for three days due to my work schedule so I can only imagine how much better it would have been had I let it sit longer!

The Sauces!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCF0783.jpg

Mixing them up with the meat in the the zip lock bag.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCF0782.jpg

All mixed up!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCF0781.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCF0784.jpg

Three days later... I open the bags and they smell so darn good!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4043.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4044.jpg

On the grill they go!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4046.jpg

Top down on the BBQ pit and let the cooking begin!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4048.jpg

A few looks while they are cooking after turing them over!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4061.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4054.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4053.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4061.jpg

Here them sizzle!!!
[url=http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/?action=view&current=DSCN4050.flv:1c7f8]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/th_DSCN4050.jpg[/url:1c7f8]

The finished product! They smelled sooooo good while cooking!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4066.jpg

The side dishes!
Baked beans jazzed up with my special touch!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4068.jpg

Baked Potatoes
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4067.jpg

Our meal is ready to be served!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l238/Nandob25/Tri%20Tip/DSCN4065.jpg

I didn't have time to take pictures while we ate... It was serious business then!!! Take my word... Within four to five days... that meat was history! It was sooooo damn good!

Thanks again Troutman65!

p.s. Any other special recipes you want to share??? LOL! I hope to go troute fishing with you this season as well. But like I said, right now with working so much and my son's pop warner football every saturday, i have no time to do anything! Talk to ya soon! Hope you like the pics!

Troutman65
10-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Nice pics. I see you used the Orginal Stubbs BBQ sauce. I like the spicy one. It not hot at all. Glad you mixed it up with the orginal . The pics. look great. Thanks for taking the time to report and post. See you on the water soon.

Troutman65

one_leg
10-09-2007, 01:00 AM
The thread that just won't die!!!!!

One_Leg

Troutman65
10-09-2007, 05:22 AM
The thread that just won't die!!!!!

One_Leg

Thats because this recipie is the bomb One_Leg. :wink:

TM65

Sparky70
10-09-2007, 09:10 PM
TM65,

Finally have a 4lb. tip marinating as we speak. That Soy-Vey is some killer stuff, my 1st time for that marinade.
Gonna use Apple chips for smoking on indirect heat.......takes a little longer, but well worth it...smoke lingering in the neighborhood drives my neighbors Crazy....

Sparky70

Troutman65
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
TM65,

Finally have a 4lb. tip marinating as we speak. That Soy-Vey is some killer stuff, my 1st time for that marinade.
Gonna use Apple chips for smoking on indirect heat.......takes a little longer, but well worth it...smoke lingering in the neighborhood drives my neighbors Crazy....

Sparky70

Cool. Smoking is great. I like to fire up the smoker and some Albacore that is freshly caught. The neighborhood is not the same for days :lol: :banana:

Your take sounds great . let me know how it turns out. Maybe a pic or two?

Thanks for the reply.

Troutman65

Fisher-of-Men
10-09-2007, 10:35 PM
That's some serious marinade you got there! MMMMMM! It sure looks good.

Fisher-of-Men

dalean08
10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
troutman that is a very good recipe!!! We really enjoyed it! I will keep this recipe around !!!!!

Troutman65
10-10-2007, 11:37 AM
That's some serious marinade you got there! MMMMMM! It sure looks good.

Fisher-of-Men

Rob, You have to give it a try bro. It is really good. Its straight out of the bottle. Well , 2 bottles. very simple and easy to do. Give it a try with the family and let me know how it turns out for you on a reply .

Patrick, TM65

Troutman65
10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
troutman that is a very good recipe!!! We really enjoyed it! I will keep this recipe around !!!!!

GREAT!!!! I am so glad you enjoyed it. It is a keeper for sure. Thanks for the reply.

Troutman65

Sparky70
10-14-2007, 12:00 AM
TM65................

Finally got this Tri-Tip going this afternoon. Followed most of ur directions. Although did use an apple smoke on my propane Barbie...Let it slow cook via the indirect method at abut 300 degrees. Only One thing....Had to hire a guard to keep the neighbors away while the smoke drifted around the neighborhood.
All kidding aside, it turned out perfect, it was a 4lb. slab and 5 of us almost polished it all off.
Thanks for your recipe, GOT ANYMORE THIS GOOD?

Sparky70 :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Troutman65
10-16-2007, 01:31 PM
I am glad you enjoyed the recipie bro. Thanks for the reply post. I may have a few more choice recipies to post. :wink:

Troutman65

Skyler
10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Hey, Patrick, I have about 5 pounds of lean dark meat jack rabbit tenderloins and haunches marinating in your "secret sauce" right now. Gonna cook it up on thursday. I'll post how it works out with the gamier meat. Sure looks/smells good, he he he. Have fun.

Troutman65
10-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Skyler, I never thought about rabbit , I bet it turns out good. Thanks for the post. Looking forward to hearing from you how it turns out. 8)

TM65

Fearless
10-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Dude its 1am and u just made me very hungry!!! Now lets get out on the lake brotha and get some Fish! :banana:

Skyler
10-29-2007, 10:56 AM
UPDATE:
I had the troutman-seasoned jack rabbit on thursday. Instead of grilling, i marinated it with a cup of each, and some extra pepper, then after 4 days, dumped the whole bag in the crock pot. Then served it over rice. All I have to say is that it was the best, most tender and flavorful jack rabbit i have ever eaten...Period. Tasted better than any cottontail I have ever eaten too.

nandob25
10-29-2007, 03:10 PM
UPDATE:
I had the troutman-seasoned jack rabbit on thursday. Instead of grilling, i marinated it with a cup of each, and some extra pepper, then after 4 days, dumped the whole bag in the crock pot. Then served it over rice. All I have to say is that it was the best, most tender and flavorful jack rabbit i have ever eaten...Period. Tasted better than any cottontail I have ever eaten too.

I've never had rabbit... what does it compair too as far as texture and taste?

One_leg was right... this is the thread that wont die!!! LOL! :rofl:

Sparky70
10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
TM65,
I sure would like to EAT a COTTONTAIL BUNNY ?????

All kidding aside, I am now fixing 6 lbs of tri-tip cut into 1/2 in. strips in your famous marinade, will let U know hosw it turns out.

Next time I make Beef-Jerky I am gonna use that Soy-Vey and C how it turns out.

Troutman65
10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Dude its 1am and u just made me very hungry!!! Now lets get out on the lake brotha and get some Fish! :banana:

Did you get to see any of the pics of the Tri-Tip? That will make anyone hungry. Thanks for the reply. I will be fishing Irvine lake this Saturday.

TM65

Troutman65
10-29-2007, 09:22 PM
UPDATE:

Skyler, You just made me hungry. :lol: I am glad it came out great. Going fishing this Saturday at Irvine lake. Are you able to make it out? If not see you on the water sometime this trout season bro.

TM65

Troutman65
10-29-2007, 10:11 PM
TM65,
I sure would like to EAT a COTTONTAIL BUNNY ?????

All kidding aside, I am now fixing 6 lbs of tri-tip cut into 1/2 in. strips in your famous marinade, will let U know hosw it turns out.

Next time I make Beef-Jerky I am gonna use that Soy-Vey and C how it turns out.

Very 8) Looking forward to hearing how it turned out . Thanks for the post.

Troutman65

Skyler
10-30-2007, 01:39 PM
UPDATE:

Skyler, You just made me hungry. :lol: I am glad it came out great. Going fishing this Saturday at Irvine lake. Are you able to make it out? If not see you on the water sometime this trout season bro.

TM65

Wish I could, but i have to scout for a new spot to hold my company quail hunt this year. Gonna be out in joshua tee, gun-in-hand. Sunday i may get some fishing in. Maybe this thursday too, he he.

Troutman65
10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
I had so much fun fishing today at Irvine lake I am going again tomorrow. :lol: :wink:

TM65

Sparky70
11-03-2007, 04:51 PM
TM65,

Those 1/2in. strips of tri-tip were YUMMY!
After they were done put a bunch of Veggies (onions,bell peppers,potatoes,portabella mushrooms) on the grill painted with a little olive-oil and a dash of sea-salt and a little black pepper........had the smoker going with apple chips. Killer dinner the other evening.
Tonight, I still have some tri-tip and veggies left...gonna mix em all together put that stuff on a 10in. tortilla and make Burritos. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Troutman65
11-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Sparky70, Glad you enjoyed !!! Thanks for the reply post. :D

Troutman65

budman8
11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Troutman I had to have sum more of that Tri-Tip tonight!

The only thing was it was better this time than last time!!

Great recipe!

Budman8

Troutman65
11-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Troutman I had to have sum more of that Tri-Tip tonight!

The only thing was it was better this time than last time!!

Great recipe!

Budman8

Denis, For some reason it gets better and better each time you have it. :D

Thanks for the reply.

Troutman65

Troutman65
11-09-2007, 12:01 PM
TM65,

Those 1/2in. strips of tri-tip were YUMMY!
After they were done put a bunch of Veggies (onions,bell peppers,potatoes,portabella mushrooms) on the grill painted with a little olive-oil and a dash of sea-salt and a little black pepper........had the smoker going with apple chips. Killer dinner the other evening.
Tonight, I still have some tri-tip and veggies left...gonna mix em all together put that stuff on a 10in. tortilla and make Burritos. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Question for you Sparky 70 ? Did you use 1/2 in strips of Tri-Tip or the whole Tri-Tip roast?

I find that by grilling the whole roast it turns out better. After its done you can slice the roast into 1/2 in. strips.

TM65

Sparky70
11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
TM65,

I cut the tri-tip in 1/2 in. strips before even marinating it. That way U can cut down on the marinate time and the cooking time. Still have to Bar-B-Que over indirect heat at about 200F, keeps it tender that way.

Troutman65
11-09-2007, 05:00 PM
You might want to try doing the whole Tri-Tip next time. I personally think it comes out better by doing it that way.You are right about the time . The way you did it is much faster. :wink:

Thanks for the reply .

Grillin & Chillin

Troutman65

barbiegirl
11-21-2007, 09:04 AM
That sounds like a lot of work, I think I might need you to show me the first time. I will sit and watch and eat of course seeing I'm bad with directions. Actually not really, I just want someone to cook it for me. :D

Granny Fish
11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
BG - You and I think alike. :wink:

one_leg
11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
BG - You and I think alike. :wink:

Just follow my directions and you'll both be fine....lol

I never get lost!!!!!

One_Leg

Troutman65
11-21-2007, 07:26 PM
That sounds like a lot of work, I think I might need you to show me the first time. I will sit and watch and eat of course seeing I'm bad with directions. Actually not really, I just want someone to cook it for me. :D

Barbiegirl, no problem. :lol:

Thanks for the reply

Troutman56

Troutman65
11-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Ok, Its been a 2 months since I last had my Tri-Tip. It was at Budman8s house. I think tomorrow I will start the process and grill one up Mon. or Tues.

MMMMMMMM Tri-Tip

TM65

nandob25
12-04-2007, 09:00 PM
I think you're right TM65... it's about time for another one. My girlfriend loves using that stubbs for other things now as well. you've started something here man!!!

Troutman65
12-04-2007, 09:08 PM
8) I am glad eveyone can enjoy !!!!

Beef , its whats for dinner.

TM56

nandob25
12-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Troutman65's tri-tip Marinade * Updated w Grilling instr.*.... it's the thread that wont die!!! LOL!

Long live beef in my teef!!! :mrgreen: LOL (I'm very aware of the fact that teeth is spelled wrong! :secret: )

Troutman65
12-07-2007, 07:22 AM
I still have not had my Tri-Tip yet. Been busy fishing and getting ready for the Masters events at Irvine Lake. Got to have some soon.

TM65

Fisher-of-Men
12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
This Tri-Tip post is amazing! :shock: I've never seen a post just go on and on like this. :lol: The dividends that it has given Troutman are quite remarkable. Thirty four posts added to his all time average!! Now that's a profitable return. :wink:

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

one_leg
12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
This Tri-Tip post is amazing! :shock: I've never seen a post just go on and on like this. :lol: The dividends that it has given Troutman are quite remarkable. Thirty four posts added to his all time average!! Now that's a profitable return. :wink:

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

You do realize that what you are doing is akin to throwing fuel on the fire, don't you?...lol

Troutman65
12-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey to two, My Tri-Tip is really good. I knew I was doing the right thing bringing it the the First Legends event !!! I was happy to share my recipe with all . I am kind of suprised that this went as far as it has. :D

TM65

Troutman65
12-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Anyone else try the Tri-Tip recipe ?

Come on don't be shy Give it a try !!

TM65

one_leg
12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Have you ever injected the roast with the Marinade?

O_L

Troutman65
12-11-2007, 04:09 PM

O_L

Alan, The way I Marinade it for 3 or more days no need to inject . It comes out perfect !!!!! :D

I think if one wanted to experiament and try it that would be cool. I would like to know how it turns out.

TM65

Fisher-of-Men
12-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Do you have any special marinades for Turkey and Ham for Christmas this year?

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

Troutman65
12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Do you have any special marinades for Turkey and Ham for Christmas this year?

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

I would sugest asking 2Quick about that. We were talking the other day at the lake and he brines his turkey. Comes out so moist. For the Ham , I would look on the internet for some glazing recipes.

TM65

Troutman65
12-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Can anyone guess what I have in my refer right now?

TM65

Fisher-of-Men
12-13-2007, 04:09 AM
Can anyone guess what I have in my refer right now?

TM65

Ahhhhhhh........the "World Famous Troutman65's tri-tip Marinade?"

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

Troutman65
01-01-2008, 10:16 PM

Barbiegirl, You ever try the Tri-tip at home?

Happy New Year to you !!

Patrick, TM65

Sparky70
01-02-2008, 08:50 PM

O_L
I stuff my tri-tip with whole garlic cloves....

Troutman65
01-02-2008, 11:25 PM
OOOOHHH that sounds good Sparky 70

I love garlic.

TM65

Troutman65
01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Kewly , I have looked through this post for the pics. of the bottles of sauce I use and they are on pg. 4. The one pic. of the Stubs sauce is not the Spicy sauce I use. But the pic. will help you remember what they look like when you go to the store to buy them. I hope you enjoy !!!

TM65

Troutman65
01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Kewly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TM65

Troutman65
10-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Ok I thought I should bring back this thread back to life because there is more new people to FNN who may want to try this recipe.

Enjoy. :Cool:

Troutman65
10-07-2009, 12:44 AM
I have inserted photos in the first post. I don't know why it took me so long. :LOL: Check it out.

sansou
10-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Ok I thought I should bring back this thread back to life because there is more new people to FNN who may want to try this recipe.

Enjoy. :Cool:

They say all the great chefs of the world have massive egos....

Troutman65
10-07-2009, 08:24 PM
They say all the great chefs of the world have massive egos....

That could be true Rich. Not sure how that would apply here.

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/master65a.jpg

Shock
10-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok so I just had to try this recipe out....

Had my tritip marinating since Sunday....

Cooked it up on my gas grill. Seared it on each side for about five minutes then turned down one side of the grill and placed it on the grill rack above.

This tritip came out GREAT!!!!!!

If you haven't tried it you are missin out....

Thanks for the recipe!

primo55
11-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Gonna try your recipe this weekend TM65,sounds and looks great!

IncredibleHuck
12-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Propane grilling instructions will follow.

Troutman65

Ok , Propane grilling tri-tip. I get the grill hot . Sear the meat for a few min. Most Propane grills have some kind of rack in the lid of the grill. Thats where you want to put the tri-tip to slow cook . After you sear the meat turn the burners onto low . This method works good if you have the racks in the lid . If there is no racks in your propane grill you can sear the meat on the grill and put it in the oven at 325* and do it that way. It comes out good in the oven too. Just maks sure the meat gets to between 135* and 140 * for med rare in the center of the tri-tip. The ends will be a more well done . If you don't like it that rare then you can cook it til temp reaches 155* till 160*. I personally dont care for my tri-tip to be well done.

Hey buddy how long do you normally let it grill for? I was thinking about doing this for Christmas dinner on the propane grill!

Troutman65
12-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey buddy how long do you normally let it grill for? I was thinking about doing this for Christmas dinner on the propane grill!

Sorry for getting back to this so late . Grilling time varys depending on size of Tri-Tip. 35 to 40 min. should be good. You want internal temp at 135- 140 for med rare . After you take off the grill let set for 5 to 8 min . After that you can slice .

Sue
06-24-2010, 12:31 PM
I've got a tri-tip marinating in the fridge right now. Will let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

SierraPeaks
06-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I also use Stubb's Spicey BBQ Sauce, but I add 1 bottle of Stubb's Beef Marinade, 1 bottle of red wine vinegar, 1/3 cup grape oil, 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns, and juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime.

Looks like I'll have to make the event next year and we can have a Tri-Tip cookoff.

Sounds like a blast to me.

Troutman65
06-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I've got a tri-tip marinating in the fridge right now. Will let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

Cool Sue. I mam going to try to swing by

Troutman65
06-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Ok so I just had to try this recipe out....

Had my tritip marinating since Sunday....

Cooked it up on my gas grill. Seared it on each side for about five minutes then turned down one side of the grill and placed it on the grill rack above.

This tritip came out GREAT!!!!!!

If you haven't tried it you are missin out....

Thanks for the recipe!

Cool Shock . Glad you enjoyed . Thanks for posting up

Troutman65
06-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I also use Stubb's Spicey BBQ Sauce, but I add 1 bottle of Stubb's Beef Marinade, 1 bottle of red wine vinegar, 1/3 cup grape oil, 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns, and juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime.

Looks like I'll have to make the event next year and we can have a Tri-Tip cookoff.

Sounds like a blast to me.

Hey there SP , I experimanted on getting this recipie. I encourage others to do the same and just have fun with it and enjoy a good BBQ . I will have to try your version sometime .:Wink:

Sparky70
06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Your marinade is the best, only I add 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Also before I marinade I open a clove of Garlic, pull it apart, cut slits in tri-tip insert garlic, then put it in the Marinade. I have left my tri-tips in the marinade for a week in very cold temp. :EyePop::EyePop::EyePop:

Seņor.Chilax
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
OHHH MY GOSH! I was drooling while reading this recipe. No, really... I'm at work, in the office and I drooled on my paper work. HAHAHA! I think I just found what I'm gonna make for 4th of July Sunday. Thank you Troutman65. And thank you Sue for bringing this thread back. Forget the Food Network, when ever I want a new recipe, I'm logging onto FNN.

Troutman65
07-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Your marinade is the best, only I add 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Also before I marinade I open a clove of Garlic, pull it apart, cut slits in tri-tip insert garlic, then put it in the Marinade. I have left my tri-tips in the marinade for a week in very cold temp. :EyePop::EyePop::EyePop:

Really cool . I like your idea with the garlic cloves . You can also marinade for a three days and then freeze . Take out and have it ready when you want to BBQ. I like that people are taking the basic and add to it to make it their own . That's what grilling and cooking is about .

Troutman65
07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
OHHH MY GOSH! I was drooling while reading this recipe. No, really... I'm at work, in the office and I drooled on my paper work. HAHAHA! I think I just found what I'm gonna make for 4th of July Sunday. Thank you Troutman65. And thank you Sue for bringing this thread back. Forget the Food Network, when ever I want a new recipe, I'm logging onto FNN.

Hope it came out good for you on the 4 th .