PDA

View Full Version : Odd day at Skinner 10-20

P.A.W.
10-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Hit up the inlet early as usual. Slow striper bite which surprised me given the low light and cooler temp. However my friend was slaying the Bigass 'gills on a KVD shad crankbait. The lure was too fat for them to swallow but that didn't stop them from crashing it! One after another. Left there and went looking for Stripers. They are spread out for sure. One here, one there, but they are actively feeding on high protein meals. The ones I cleaned had been eating threadfin, little bass, and one had a whole medium size bluegill in her.

Water temp is ~70* and level has fallen pretty much just in the last few days. Inlet is still hardly running but I bet once they open it up the stripers will be lining up there again.

kaiyasdad
10-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Hit up the inlet early as usual. Slow striper bite which surprised me given the low light and cooler temp. However my friend was slaying the Bigass 'gills on a KVD shad crankbait. The lure was too fat for them to swallow but that didn't stop them from crashing it! One after another. Left there and went looking for Stripers. They are spread out for sure. One here, one there, but they are actively feeding on high protein meals. The ones I cleaned had been eating threadfin, little bass, and one had a whole medium size bluegill in her.

Water temp is ~70* and level has fallen pretty much just in the last few days. Inlet is still hardly running but I bet once they open it up the stripers will be lining up there again.

i was waiting for your weekly report. i too thought that with the weather change the stripers might start boiling. did you see any surface activity at all?

thanks

P.A.W.
10-21-2012, 11:38 AM
No boils at all. See Jnitro's report too. Morning was slowish and I was off the water by 10:30ish with 5 fish but for those who stayed the cruising fish got agressive. We saw fish on both the north and south shores. I made one run up the east end by ramp 2 with no luck at 9:00 but didn't pound the area.

bitesomthing
10-21-2012, 05:14 PM
i was waiting for your weekly report. i too thought that with the weather change the stripers might start boiling. did you see any surface activity at all?

thanks

I did see a large shad boil on the east end around 9:30
Sunday morning. No fish catchable onit though.
Hope it will go off this year.

Harley51
10-21-2012, 05:23 PM
I saw the same thing at the inlet. Strippers were slow and the guy next to me was using crickets and limited out on crappy. This was Tuesday. The rest of the week was slow.

JAG107
10-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Man, I slept in today. Glad I didnt miss out on any WFO striper action, but sorta wish I'd have gotten out the door anyway.

Sublime-Steve
10-23-2012, 06:05 AM
bluegill on a normal size crank? lmao.. fish trip me out sometimes man. i had a red ear chase my jointed rapala in a few times till it finally ate it @ perris. good sized.