PDA

View Full Version : legality questions

Tubbytuba
10-20-2012, 08:32 PM
couple of questions yall.
caught a couple of trout at Gregory, one on a catfish stink bait and a circle hook (weird right?) and another one on a fly rod, she weighed 3 pounds. i couldn't get her to swim off despite my gentle CnR handling, bows are just fragile i guess. i clean them and find they are both full of eggs and i had a thought, this stuff would make killer catfish bait if i put it in a cheese cloth bag. but is it legal? i didn't see it as a restricted bait... thought it would be perfect for my 2 hook catfish rig. while im on the DFG site i find out that it is unlawful to attache a sinker bellow a hook. so are drop shot rigs and surf rigs, like my catfish rig illegal? any thoughts guys? id be very appreciative.

Bass Boy 14
10-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I dont know, but if it is, I've broken the law for 70% of the bass and 30% of the trout I've ever caught!

Tubbytuba
10-20-2012, 08:40 PM
thats what i thought for like... 75%of my cats lol

Bass Boy 14
10-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I was at gregory a couple weeks ago and caught 14 trout on a drop shot lol

smokehound
10-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Nope. Not legal.

Bass Boy 14
10-21-2012, 04:58 AM
Where does it say that in DFG? Everyone I know who goes to pudd uses a drop shot.

ben0606
10-21-2012, 05:30 AM
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/ccr-t14-ch2-art1.html

If this is where you read it in 2/10? It states This for rivers and streams not lakes and res.

ben0606
10-21-2012, 05:34 AM
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/ccr-t14-ch2-art3.html

4.00 states the fish eggs are gtg from what I'm reading.......

Bass Boy 14
10-21-2012, 05:38 AM
The weight under hook in rivers/streams may be true...... I just knew it wasn't for lakes
Yes, it looks like the fish eggs are gtg

Marley
10-21-2012, 10:03 AM
When looking at the "why" of 2.10, could this be an attempt at prosecuting snaggers without specifically stating "snagging." Sounds like a salmon reg almost.
"No, officer, I wasn't snagging! I prefer using a dropper loop in 40-lb mono with my 6-ounce sinker 4 inches below my 8/0 Super Mutu hook. I catch a lot of salmon that way."
2.10.2 talks about directly or indirectly tying a hook less than 18 inches up from a sinker, which sounds to me like a dropshot or dropper loop, whereas 2.10.4 mention tying the sinker directly to the hook, a la a stinger hook. A rig like that would tend to keep a hook straight in line, thus (seemingly, as I've never tried to snag a fish) in a good position to snag a fish. Sounds like dropshot rigs are okay as long as they aren't shorter than 18".
As for trout roe, I sure hope it isn't illegal to use. It's fantastic bait for trout! No need for netting, just drape it around small treble hook and flyline it. It's deadly-good trout bait.

Tubbytuba
10-21-2012, 11:47 AM
you know i thought about that, its probably to prevent snagging . my cat rigs have circle hooks with 18 inches between the hooks and a 1 oz trolling weight ( they dont snag the bottom as easy) i wouldn't really be snagging many fish with a 1/0 circle hook... face palm i totally missed that it says rivers. my bad

Skyler
10-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Yes, trout eggs are legal. And yes, the dropshot or dropper loop rig is prohibited in streams due to its use in snagging rigs. A lot of poachers use the rig with three 4/0 trebles and about an ounce or two of weight. You pull the line over the fish and use a downward hookset. This hooks them in the back. Mainly used during salmon runs.

DarkShadow
10-22-2012, 01:25 PM
..... And yes, the dropshot or dropper loop rig is prohibited in streams due to its use in snagging rigs.

Counsel Skyler,

Doesn't that then prohibit the use of any Czech Nymph type of rig where you essentially have two (or more) flys on the drop with a splitshot at the end of the rig?

http://www.troutlie.com/picts/double_nymph_rig_shot_trailing.jpg

Or does the use of the strike indicator make the rig legal?

Dude, if I get caught at the East Walker, you'll be hearing from my lawyer. Although you're my lawyer, so I don't know how that'll work, but you'll be hearing from him!

Cartman
10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
couple of questions yall.
caught a couple of trout at Gregory, one on a catfish stink bait and a circle hook (weird right?) and another one on a fly rod, she weighed 3 pounds. i couldn't get her to swim off despite my gentle CnR handling, bows are just fragile i guess. i clean them and find they are both full of eggs and i had a thought, this stuff would make killer catfish bait if i put it in a cheese cloth bag. but is it legal? i didn't see it as a restricted bait... thought it would be perfect for my 2 hook catfish rig. while im on the DFG site i find out that it is unlawful to attache a sinker bellow a hook. so are drop shot rigs and surf rigs, like my catfish rig illegal? any thoughts guys? id be very appreciative.

Yes, it is legal to use the trout roe for bait. It didn't used to be, but starting this year it has been legal.

smokehound
10-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Interesting.. Didnt know they were legal in streams..

Skyler
10-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, it is legal to use the trout roe for bait. It didn't used to be, but starting this year it has been legal.

It has been legal for years. It was always listed along with "processed foods" as a legal bait.

DS, theoretically, that rig would be illegal, even with the indicator, as the regs do not make an exception for floats. However, I doubt any warden would care, just so long as you weren't using one ounce split shot and beadhead prince nymphs tied on 6/0 wide gap trebles, lol. Not saying they couldn't jam you up by the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law is not generally targeting C&R fly fisherman who want to try traditional Euro techniques.

DarkShadow
10-23-2012, 12:01 PM
...but the spirit of the law is not generally targeting C&R fly fisherman who want to try traditional Euro techniques.

Are you calling me a Euro?