PDA

View Full Version : Advices for fishing and boating during Thanksgiving?

Von Arizona
10-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Hello guys,

I am planning to have a trip to LA from Arizona this thanksgiving. I have an inflatable boat with a 10 hp motor, so I plan to buy a 1 day fishing licence and fish close to shore. Since it is pretty cold then, do you guys have any tips to get some good luck? I am not picky about fish species, but the bigger the better for me inlander.

Also, I will live close to UCLA. Is there any boat ramp with free parking and free launching nearby?

Thanks.

JL
10-22-2012, 08:19 AM
As you cans tell, during the fall and winter months the amount of responses to your request will be minimal. First of the 30 years of Thanksgiving holidays I have been in So California. I think only 1 or 2 were cold. Most were quite warm and some very hot. Today it is 60 and cloudy, Friday it will be 80 and sunny.

I am most familiar with most of the bays south of LA. There are always fish to catch in Newport Bay, Long Beach Bay and Santa monica Bay. These are all large bays with a variety of structure.... Rocks, piers, Grassy,sandy flat etc. Long beach and Santa Monica can get rough it windy. Newport is less choppy because it is more enclosed.

Live Bait will be available in Long Beach and Santa monica but not Newport. The bait barge must stop selling bait in Newport during the winter months.

Bass lures are very successful in Santa Monica bay. Check out post this week under the first section in the Salt water area.

Tight Lines, Travel Safe and God Bless