PDA

View Full Version : Puddingstone crappie advice

SoCalFisher606
10-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Hello everybody. I'm relatively new to crappie fishing and I've only recently started getting into it. Ive tried a lot of different things but to no luck. I mainly fish puddingstone. I've fished back in sailboat cove and near the docks. I've also fished on the east shore south of the high pier, and also in the cove next to swim beach. I've used a large variety of things but with no luck. I've tried jigging under a bobber with tube body jigs in just about every color. I've also tried the marabou jigs. I've also tried putting crappie nibbles on the jigs too. And lastly, I've tried beetle spin spinners, with the white body, and the red eye. Out of all of these things, I haven't caught one fish. Can anyone give me any tips or advice? It would be much appreciated. Thank you

RTG
10-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey "SoCal", crappie are my favorites. Unfortunately I've never fished Puddingstone so I really can't help there. I can tell you this though, this is a little bit of a tough time of year to get crappies. In the fall the crappies will usually get in a late season bite, but they're a little hard to find. They are usually just offshore, and depending on the lake they could be in 10 to 25 feet of water. If you find them, they'll bite. If you have access to a long dock that leads to deep water that would be a good place to start. I pretty much just use small tube jigs. Depending on the fish's mood I use 1/32 oz, or 1/64 oz. The usual patterns produce well for me; red/white, yellow/white, grasshopper, plain white, chartreuse, etc. I almost never need to tip them. I haven't been out for a couple weeks (it's huntin' season), but last time I did go I got a limit...at "my" lake. You still have time to get them before winter sets in and they quit biting 'til spring.

FISHING ALL DAY BABY
10-20-2012, 07:07 AM
hey whats up, as for pudd, my 6 year old daughter and i love to hit the sail boat cove and fish for crappie, bluegills, red ear and bass in that area. we get a lot of hits and land a lot of them as well with millworm, red worms and plastic tubes. I love to jigg and I tell you what, in the month of April and May, Ohhhh Boy, hold on to your rods cuss its a beautiful thing. dont give up, just wait for it and you will see. like RTG said, in the fall its to late to fish for crappie. goog luck

Bass Boy 14
10-20-2012, 10:16 AM
It is tough right now for the panfish, but like FADB said, when April to May hits, it good fishing.
Out by the white bouy across from the boat launch in sailboat, if you have access to a boat, is a good place for some 1lb - 1.5lb crappie
Good Luck - BB

SoCalFisher606
10-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Thank you guys for your input. I knew it was a tough time of year but I'll have to give some of your tips a try

SoCalFisher606
10-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Hey "SoCal", crappie are my favorites. Unfortunately I've never fished Puddingstone so I really can't help there. I can tell you this though, this is a little bit of a tough time of year to get crappies. In the fall the crappies will usually get in a late season bite, but they're a little hard to find. They are usually just offshore, and depending on the lake they could be in 10 to 25 feet of water. If you find them, they'll bite. If you have access to a long dock that leads to deep water that would be a good place to start. I pretty much just use small tube jigs. Depending on the fish's mood I use 1/32 oz, or 1/64 oz. The usual patterns produce well for me; red/white, yellow/white, grasshopper, plain white, chartreuse, etc. I almost never need to tip them. I haven't been out for a couple weeks (it's huntin' season), but last time I did go I got a limit...at "my" lake. You still have time to get them before winter sets in and they quit biting 'til spring.

You said they are in 10 to 25 feet of water? How do you personally fish for then at that depth? Because I have access to a dock that goes out pretty deep, but how would I go about fishing for them at that depth?

Troutcz swimbait
10-20-2012, 06:56 PM
You said they are in 10 to 25 feet of water? How do you personally fish for then at that depth? Because I have access to a dock that goes out pretty deep, but how would I go about fishing for them at that depth?

Try drop shotting your jigs with a short leader,it works for me.

SoCalFisher606
10-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Ill give that a try, thank you

RTG
10-22-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean...but I use 2, 3 or 4# test. I drop the jig (no weights-only the jig) slowly down until I find the fish. Usually your line just stops. You'll have to move around the dock until you find them. Start deep, and drop your jig all the way down, them SLOWLY reel up. If they're there, you'll find them. Finally-fish slow!

SoCalFisher606
10-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Alright I'll give that a try, I appreciate it