PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Kayak Launch

Poxy Boggards
10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
What's up fellow yakers.

Can anyone give me some practical advice on the best place or places to launch a kayak at Big Bear? I read that you have to get the yak inspected prior to launch. What is the inspection process look like, and can I get it inspected early in the morning before sun up?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!

Wes
Poxy Boggards

seal
10-18-2012, 04:08 PM
I've never launched my kayak there but I'm quite sure it's similar to float tubes. Simple inspection, clean and dry. Soon the launch ramps will be closed and you will not be able to get an inspection or pass, I have an annual pass so not sure if there are any implications to not being able to get the inspection but in the past you could actually pay the lake patrol guy when he asks you out on the lake. The deal with float tubes, and I think it would be the same with kayaks, if you get an annual pass you don't have to get it inspected everytime you go out you are on the honor system so to speak.

If you go soon though ramps will still be open and it's quick and painless.

Poxy Boggards
10-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks Seal! Do you know what time they open in the morning/start inspections? Looking at a map of the lake, Greys Marina is much closer to where I'd like to start fishing. Do you know if there is a launch ramp there, do they charge for launching and or do inspections there?

Mojave River Angler
10-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I have the annual pass and so don't need the inspection. I think they are understanding that the Cleaned, Drained, Dried, message is getting through and we do a pretty good job of self inspection...if aware of the campaign.

As for kayak launch zones...Big Bear is tough because there is so little shoreline that is either accessible, or not private property. I put in at two different places. One is down by the dam by the RED House on the corner of the north shore road. So coming out of the valley you woud get to the light at the dam and take a left and go a few hundred yards to the corner where the mirror is on the tree...pass that and park on the right near the big rocks. There are several places to launch there as well as a porta potty (nasty all the time) and an SS Relief to the west (pristing every time I visit), None of them are all that great, but it works and gets you access to the west end of the lake (no Adventure Pass required). The other place is on the road that goes down near the shoreline at the observatory (no Adventure Pass required) (no porta potty). This was a good place to launch until the muck took over the lake. Now you can launch there, but you have to paddle through 50 yards of jello to get to open water...and that gets you access to the middle of the lake and an SS Relief on the west side of the observatory (pristine). Alternately, you can launch from Juniper Point but you have to have an Adventure Pass to park there and you will have to carry your gear more than 50 yards to the water (porta potty avaliable). For East end access, just put in at the marina where you have free parking and access to restrooms.

Won't be much of a problem for the rest of the year, but during the busy season BB Lake is overcrowded by boats with "drivers" who think you don't belong on the lake and really don't care what happens to you...especially if they are towing something and looking the other way. Keep your whistle handy. Fish with a buddy.

Bent poles and tight lines for all.

MRA

Armofisher818
11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
I know you already went but i saw some girl launch her yak by the dam on the east side if im correct when i was shore fishing. It looked easy and she was in a sit inside.