PDA

View Full Version : Corona Lake 10/16/12- Really needed a bigger net, w/video.

Cadillyak
10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
So I had my eye on Corona lake and with the reports frome Surfnsnowboard3, I had to get out there. Arranged to meet with him around 6:15am to launch our tubes and go hit his sweet spot. Little did I know, that 5 minutes into our fishing, I would hook into the largest thing I have felt since getting my tube last year. We get to the spot and both cast out our lines. We started roughly about 30-45ft between us. I get a nibble almost instantly but the fish didnt commit. Upon reeling in my bait (mac), I noticed a hefty swirl just in my casting range. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be something if I hooked into that monster. (Yes I am foreshadowing). I cast and my bait lands inches from the center of the swirl. Fat chance I thought. Not even a minute later I notice my line starting to gain tension. No way I thought. I set the hook, but my bail wasn't all the way now so I "wiffed". I flip the bail back down, reel in my slack, and set the hook again. "Sheesh, I missed the fish" is what I was telling my self, because due to us fishing so close to structure, when I set the hook, it felt like I hooked a tree or something. I begin to start reeling when I see my line going in the opposite direction. Just then, the fish made a huge splash, and relized that he was hooked. He towed me everywhich way he could. Spun me around on several occasions. I did manage to get video of this epic fight. "yes EPIC". He took me all arouund the structure but the power pro held up to the challenge. After several minutes, I noticed that I was gonna need some help getting this monster in. I called to Surfnsnowboard to kick my way and lend me a hand. I only had Boga grips on my tube and I could tell that I wasn't going to get a chance at lipping him so I was at a loss. How do I get this fish in? I have always dreamed of the 20+ pounder, but just wasn't ready. The fish caught me with my pants down so to speak. Surfnsnowboard get within range and shows me his net. I say "There is no way he is gonna fit in that." (This was before he saw the fish). He kinda gave me the look like "seriously". Then the fish showed again and let both know this wasn't going to be an easy task. We did manage to get one shot at netting the fish, but the funny thing is that only his head fit in the net. Yep, I said the same thing. With those fins, we didn't want to take a chance at a bladder puncture. So Surfnsnowboard was kind of at a loss. He had this huge fish in his net and really couldn't do anything. Well you all know how it goes, the fish flopped out, was on for about another minute, and just like that was gone. That was all she wrote. I couldn't have been happier though. I fought the fish, got to see what it was and how big it was, (I hate fighting a fish forever just to lose it and not know what it was), and I have an eye witness. I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Most would be mad or pissed off. I am just glad I had the chance to fight that fish. To Surfnsnowboard3, it was great meeting you, thanks for sharing your honey hole, and we will have to link up for Trout season. The catfish are there and they have the size, you just have to put the work in.

Here is the video for all to enjoy, and for me to never forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqxowJzf4x8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for reading, and Tight lines to all.

Simply_P

Surfnsnowboard3
10-17-2012, 02:31 PM
So I had my eye on Corona lake and with the reports frome Surfnsnowboard3, I had to get out there. Arranged to meet with him around 6:15am to launch our tubes and go hit his sweet spot. Little did I know, that 5 minutes into our fishing, I would hook into the largest thing I have felt since getting my tube last year. We get to the spot and both cast out our lines. We started roughly about 30-45ft between us. I get a nibble almost instantly but the fish didnt commit. Upon reeling in my bait (mac), I noticed a hefty swirl just in my casting range. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be something if I hooked into that monster. (Yes I am foreshadowing). I cast and my bait lands inches from the center of the swirl. Fat chance I thought. Not even a minute later I notice my line starting to gain tension. No way I thought. I set the hook, but my bail wasn't all the way now so I "wiffed". I flip the bail back down, reel in my slack, and set the hook again. "Sheesh, I missed the fish" is what I was telling my self, because due to us fishing so close to structure, when I set the hook, it felt like I hooked a tree or something. I begin to start reeling when I see my line going in the opposite direction. Just then, the fish made a huge splash, and relized that he was hooked. He towed me everywhich way he could. Spun me around on several occasions. I did manage to get video of this epic fight. "yes EPIC". He took me all arouund the structure but the power pro held up to the challenge. After several minutes, I noticed that I was gonna need some help getting this monster in. I called to Surfnsnowboard to kick my way and lend me a hand. I only had Boga grips on my tube and I could tell that I wasn't going to get a chance at lipping him so I was at a loss. How do I get this fish in? I have always dreamed of the 20+ pounder, but just wasn't ready. The fish caught me with my pants down so to speak. Surfnsnowboard get within range and shows me his net. I say "There is no way he is gonna fit in that." (This was before he saw the fish). He kinda gave me the look like "seriously". Then the fish showed again and let both know this wasn't going to be an easy task. We did manage to get one shot at netting the fish, but the funny thing is that only his head fit in the net. Yep, I said the same thing. With those fins, we didn't want to take a chance at a bladder puncture. So Surfnsnowboard was kind of at a loss. He had this huge fish in his net and really couldn't do anything. Well you all know how it goes, the fish flopped out, was on for about another minute, and just like that was gone. That was all she wrote. I couldn't have been happier though. I fought the fish, got to see what it was and how big it was, (I hate fighting a fish forever just to lose it and not know what it was), and I have an eye witness. I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Most would be mad or pissed off. I am just glad I had the chance to fight that fish. To Surfnsnowboard3, it was great meeting you, thanks for sharing your honey hole, and we will have to link up for Trout season. The catfish are there and they have the size, you just have to put the work in.

Here is the video for all to enjoy, and for me to never forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqxowJzf4x8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for reading, and Tight lines to all.

Simply_P

Man o Man. That thing was a beast. Biggest cat I've seen in person. Ain't no way we were gonna land it in our tubes. Good times.

Cadillyak
10-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Man o Man. That thing was a beast. Biggest cat I've seen in person. Ain't no way we were gonna land it in our tubes. Good times.

Yea I wasn't prepared for that. Good on corona for stocking quality fish. Shame on me for not being prepared. Lol

Frequent Flyer
10-17-2012, 06:32 PM
wow....i was literally screaming at the computer. sick job out there and you'll get her next time!

Cadillyak
10-17-2012, 06:36 PM
wow....i was literally screaming at the computer. sick job out there and you'll get her next time!

Thanks. It's the rush I hope for every time out. I'll be well equipped from this day on.

Frequent Flyer
10-17-2012, 07:12 PM
around 4 minutes and 30 secs, you could practically hear your heart beat!

craz_yPANDA
10-17-2012, 07:59 PM
DAMN! I can hear your heart racing. haha Nice video!

Cadillyak
10-17-2012, 09:00 PM
DAMN! I can hear your heart racing. haha Nice video!

Yea. It was crazy because I felt my line caught up on tree limbs for most of the fight.

salmonboy
10-18-2012, 10:03 AM
wow that was a big catfish...i never caught anything that big...i guess corona lake has big fish....great job and thats as good as landing him you got the thrill and now some one else can have it....great job man

FISHING ALL DAY BABY
10-20-2012, 06:26 AM
FISH ON BABY!!!!!!! some one call the tow truck!!! lol!!! i love fishing there at corona lake. i have gotten my *** handed to me a few times there at corona lake. i just recently bought a super fat cat and i cant wait to break it in this trout season. Nice fight man, and nice video.

JAG107
10-20-2012, 12:55 PM
What a great experience! Call it an involuntary catch and release. What a monster!

FKNChristopH
10-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Always bring a big net when you go to any of the bigger lakes lol. I've learned my lesson.. Good vid and I've fight! Should of tried to wear her out longer and then boga grip her. Anyways.. Good stuff!

*shakkaaa*

Cadillyak
10-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Always bring a big net when you go to any of the bigger lakes lol. I've learned my lesson.. Good vid and I've fight! Should of tried to wear her out longer and then boga grip her. Anyways.. Good stuff!

*shakkaaa*

Yea, I will not go out without a suitable net anymore I can tell you that much. I wanted to tire her out more, but with all that structure around there was no telling what was gonna happen, and that fish knew what she was doing. She didn't get that big without learning a few tricks of the trade. All in all I had a blast and can't wait to get back out there. I'm just glad I have a video to match the story of the one that got away.

FKNChristopH
10-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Lol wow typo on my part.. Darn iPad.. Yea I bought a net at Fred hall show last year, used it the next weekend at the vine.. Then lost a nice bow due to the size... Sold it and bought one big enough for a 32" halibut. Never lost a fish at the net in the tube yet. Good luck next time broths..

*shakkaaaa*