PDA

View Full Version : Going to Buena Vista this weekend. Advice?

hotramen
10-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I am going to Buena Vista this weekend and will be staying somewhere around campsite 19. I have never fished Webb or Evans before.

Should I concentrate on shore fishing from the campsite or head to Evans?

Any advice would be appreciated.

cutbait
10-17-2012, 12:55 AM
would help to know what your fishing for?

hotramen
10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Probably catfish and panfish. I think it's too early for trout.

DodgersFan
10-19-2012, 02:10 AM
I've heard of big catfish by the islands. I've camped there many times just throwing lines out in front of my campsite. Micro catfish and never have caught anything of edible size. I'm talking 10 camping trips. Wide open, just tiny little catfish. If you have a boat, fish the deep holes of that shallow lake. The tiny cats ate anything thrown at them. I've also caught crappie throwing small lures by the weeds.

cutbait
10-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Yeah id say a bit early for trout, there aren't any right now.

Kitties are your best bet, chances improve with a boat.

Flip senkos against the tullies for bass... some clumps of tullies are way better, panfish are there but not in big numbers, personally I wouldn't waste my time. Try the docks for crappie.

Please post a report later

It is a pet peeve of mine of guys asking for help and failing to report.

Your report is considered paying it forward IMO

hotramen
10-22-2012, 02:49 PM
I checked the site for replies a little too late. But thanks for the info anyway. Only boat access I had was for wakeboarding and tubing.

I arrived in the afternoon Saturday. It was in the 80s. I headed to Evans and the area was pretty much empty. I stopped first at Evans East and fished off a small boat dock. Water was calm and there was one bass boat out there and I was the only one at shore. Rigged up a carolina rig with garlic enhanced shrimp and tossed it out. No bites after about 2 hours. Bass boat left shortly after I arrived.

Moved further down to Evans West and ran into a regular of the lake. "Dave" claimed he had been there since 0600 and has had a few nibbles but nothing taking. Saw two guys fly fishing along the shore from the grates. I think they were getting bit on an occasional crappie or sunfish. The water level was very low. Looked like the day had not been productive for the anglers so far. Left after about 2 hours.

Later that night I tossed out some lines at the campsite baited with shrimp starting at about 2000. Checked on them periodically. After about 3 or 4 hours nothing.