PDA

View Full Version : Jumping fish in Balona Creek,

Charlie Allen
10-16-2012, 06:34 PM
The creek is full of bait fish and the Mullet are chasing and jumping, but why?? Mullet do not eat other fish from what I am told. They are bottom feeders similar to a fresh water carp. So why are so excited by all the bait fish?
I generally fish off the rocks in the Marina channel. The dreaging operation put a halt on the typical mackeral, barracuda, bonita and bass action during the summer. Hoping for something to perk up during the cooler months.

LuckyCraft420
10-17-2012, 11:02 AM
1 of my AO's has thousands of mackerel swimming and jumping around. I've watched a mullet come up and take a nibble on the tail of a 3" big hammer. I figured it was just curious...

smokehound
10-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Mullet are just naturally very aggressive fish. They'll nip and bite pretty much anything.

Kinda like supersonic tilapia with fusiform bodies.. lol They DO eat fish from time to time, they prefer not to, though.

keepemlo
10-17-2012, 07:38 PM
I saw Somers guys snagging Somers Nice ones up to six pounds,,,they also hooked à halibut but i wonder how they would do for stripper bait ,,,yeah i work right there that canal runs behind THE warehouse they are in there deep