PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 10/13

Dci4me
10-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I haven't had any reports lately because I haven't gotten out to fish much. My daughter is about to be a year old and I have enjoyed staying home and watching her grow so fast.

I hit Perris Saturday morning. Daughter was up all night crying so I got a late start. Left the house @ 5:45 am and was in the vessel inspection lane @ 6:15 a.m. Down to sail cove to inflate the tube and rig up, on the water by 7:00 a.m. I took (2) #8 fly rods, one with full sink line, and one with floating line, (1) bait caster, and (1) spinning outfit.

I started off with the full sink fly rod with a brown/orange wooly bugger just out of Sail Cove. After a few casts a hard hit! Strip strike, and pull the rod to the side. Rod is double over and I begin to reel in the line in my lap. Fish off!....

I switched to the my floating line with a rattling frog popper. Several casts with no takers. However, I did see a 5+ pounder break the surface feet from me. Looked like Jaws.

Switched to my baitcaster with a Lucky Craft Sammy 110 tied on. Walked the dog, burned it, dead stick, nothing.

Now I am about half way down the dam. I took a break and had a Power Bar and met up with another tuber. Talked for a few and back to work. Threw on a DS Roboworm and after a few cast I get nailed! Fish on! Fish is peeling drag, seems like a skunk buster to me. Fish got arial and threw the hook mid flight. Dang...

Tuber from earlier is on! Catch a quick pick of a solid 2.5#er for him and ask him what he is using. Scrounger head with Baby Bass Zoom Fluke. He was gracious enough to donate one to me, as I did not have a scrounger head on me. I put on a white Zoom Fluke and work the dam back to Sail Cove to meet my brother in law that is just arriving @ 11:30. No hits on the way back.

He parks his Suburban over towards the pier and I tell him I'll kick in the tube over there, and proceed to throw the scrounger on the way over. Just as I'm rounding the reeds over there I get a hard hit. Fish on! Peeling drag, rod went bendo. Fish goes arial several times. I get it just in arms reach, head shake, twist and its' off. Darn....

Fished for a couple more hours near the trench with C-rig brush hog, and more Fluke actions for nothing.

Beautiful day out on the water, and beautiful weather. The cooler weather did seem to bring some smaller bass in to the shallows. They did seem very interested in the bait fish plastics. I saw tons of bait around, and the birds were mostly having them. Lots of blue gill action from the shoreline from the shore fisherman.

I will try for one to two more trips to Perris before mid November, when I will hang up the bass rods and pull out the #4 and #6 weight fly rods for the trout season.

Thanks for reading.