PDA

View Full Version : Limit on bait!

fishinone
10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2010-13-2012/IMAG0281_zps23f24916.jpg
I'll start with a cooler shot.

We planned to go out for Lobster on Friday night. The boat was supposed to be ready at the shop. I imagine that you know what that means.

Since we didn't make it out Friday evening Scott and I went to Castaic on Saturday morning, Bong couldn't make it. After truck trouble etc. we finally launched around lunch time.

It was clear that the fish were chasing bait near the surface all over, the seagulls were having a fine time.

I had a plan to try bait on the fish that I've been seeing all over at 100 feet. We metered many spots finding fish all over at 100 ft. We met Geordy's dad "George" and his fishing buddy (I'm sorry, I don't remember your name.) at the buoy line. Nice seeing you guys out there. They weren't having much success on the bait.

We selected a spot and set anchor. We tried both cut Sardines and blood worms. Scott had a good hit on a dine but the fish dropped the bait so quick that he didn't get to it in time.

It wasn't long before I realized that something was stealing my blood worms and switched to threading smaller pieces. I figured that I would catch the 10 or 12" fish that were stealing my bait to amuse myself while I waited for something better.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2010-13-2012/IMAG0278_zpsc8224ec0.jpg
But they weren't 10" fish!

I told Scott, "I'm keeping them and taking them to Bong.":Razz: Bong has told me "Keep whatever is legal, I'll take them.". Well, the striper limit in SoCal is 10 fish any size. :Cool:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2010-13-2012/IMAG0280_zpsf34a4e90.jpg
This is the little one.

We each got a couple more pickups on the sardines but didn't hookup.

I caught 10 of them, Scott caught 4 and a catfish that weighed twice as much as all of them. These things were spitting lots of 2" silversides when we would get them in. We pulled anchor later and chased scattered rises until quitting time. I had one blowup on the KPN but the fish missed. Oh, and you were so close!

So to make a long story short. On they way home we called Bong and asked him if he wanted some striper. We told him we were bringing him 10 or 12 striper. We didn't tell him what size. He was a wonderful host. He made pizza and chicken fingers for our dinner. We all sat out on the patio and had dinner and a good time. His housekeeper is going to can these striper like they can anchovies. I hope that I get to try some.

Luckily I had small cooler to aid in photography! That big one is about 7" long. :Neutral: It wasn't what we were looking for but we had a good time with it anyway.

So there you go! Go get them! It's wide open at 100 ft.

If all of those fish at 100 ft are this size, there are a lot of them!

dk4885
10-14-2012, 08:31 PM
and yet the experts say land locked stripers dont reproduce. that must have been a long swim for that little guy to get to castaic. LOL

nice job guys, you really are the masterbaiter

koifish
10-14-2012, 08:40 PM
How Bong is going to clean those .....LOL...

fishinone
10-14-2012, 08:43 PM
and yet the experts say land locked stripers dont reproduce. that must have been a long swim for that little guy to get to castaic. LOL

nice job guys, you really are the masterbaiter

Well with praise like that, coming from an acknowledged expert, I will have to take it as high praise. LOL

I caught a 2" striper at Pyramid once. I hate to tell you that I caught it on a tiny Kastmaster.

fishinone
10-14-2012, 08:45 PM
How Bong is going to clean those .....LOL...

Tiny fillet knife!

I think they cook them whole.

Coefficient13
10-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Good job on the limit.

I caught one even smaller than that. They look like swell good-looking aquarium fish at that age... though they would become a bit of a hassle shortly :) lol.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Slay mother flower SLAY

Super tuper TOP Secret bait spot....betta watch out for the spot poachers

fishinone
10-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Good job on the limit.

I caught one even smaller than that. They look like swell good-looking aquarium fish at that age... though they would become a bit of a hassle shortly :) lol.

I think keeping gamefish in an aquarium is illegal but they would probably only grow to fit the environment.

Slay mother flower SLAY

Super tuper TOP Secret bait spot....betta watch out for the spot poachers

Yea! I'll have to keep that spot under my hat!

I know you will all be poaching it if I don't. I won't even be able to get near it!

CL SmooV
10-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Slay em'!!!!!!!!!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Yea! I'll have to keep that spot under my hat!

I know you will all be poaching it if I don't. I won't even be able to get near it!

Goin ta get some bait NOW : )

fishinone
10-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Slay em'!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Are you sure that I'm not taking food out of the mouths of the LMB?

Goin ta get some bait NOW : )

Hey, stay out of my spot!

Coefficient13
10-15-2012, 12:12 PM
I think keeping gamefish in an aquarium is illegal but they would probably only grow to fit the environment.

Interresting. Legal size, but a requirement to kill it. I'll have to look into that. The little koi pond I want later in life deserves a few creek trout to eat the bugs.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Interresting. Legal size, but a requirement to kill it. I'll have to look into that. The little koi pond I want later in life deserves a few creek trout to eat the bugs.

Trout won't survive through the season, I kept trout in a huge tank as a teen....once the warmer months hit they died from the warm water...and those were native trout caught from the san gabriel mountains...

fish I've had that survived the seasons:

LMB
Bluegill
Redear
Catfish
Crawdads
Green sunfish

All survived long and healthy lives other than the trout, they lived a few months(trout)…plus it’s a good tool to learn from by watching the fish’s behavior as it adapts to the changing climates.

Gotta stay on top of feeding though….redworms and nightcrawlers most times but at least once a week goldfish were on the menu for the larger predatorial species…

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Trout won't survive through the season, I kept trout in a huge tank as a teen....once the warmer months hit they died from the warm water...and those were native trout caught from the san gabriel mountains...

fish I've had that survived the seasons:

LMB
Bluegill
Redear
Catfish
Crawdads
Green sunfish

All survived long and healthy lives other than the trout, they lived a few months(trout)…plus it’s a good tool to learn from by watching the fish’s behavior as it adapts to the changing climates.

Gotta stay on top of feeding though….redworms and nightcrawlers most times but at least once a week goldfish were on the menu for the larger predatorial species…

P.S.
Just before anyone gets their wisecarcks going...the trout were pets...NOT BAIT

koifish
10-15-2012, 12:42 PM
I got a couple of dink strippers this morning at your spot hahaha...they died after i tried to remove the hook so I gave up fishing them.

fishinone
10-15-2012, 12:47 PM

1.63. Movement of Live Fish.

Except as provided in sections 4.00 through 4.30 (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/ccr-t14-ch2-art3.html#sec4_30) and 230, live fin fish may not be transported alive from the water where taken.

4.00 through 4.30 is the baitfish regs.

2.30 is spearfishing.

P.S.
Just before anyone gets their wisecarcks going...the trout were pets...NOT BAIT

Feeder goldfish are pets too! :Shocked:

here is my pet...I feed him chicken hahaha...

I think you mean chickens! :Big Grin:

fishinone
11-07-2012, 08:41 AM
If you guys want an encouraging Castaic report, how is it that you missed this one?

Seriously, these pics are not photoshoped.

dk4885
11-07-2012, 10:42 AM
hey ron i give you props it takes great skill to catch stripers that size, most people get lucky to just get one but you got a limit thats awsome. on a side note found some the same size in the belly of the fish i cleaned at san luis forbay.

radioleo
11-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey Ron,

I think you should mount that fish.

Leo

fishinone
11-07-2012, 01:08 PM
hey ron i give you props it takes great skill to catch stripers that size, most people get lucky to just get one but you got a limit thats awsome. on a side note found some the same size in the belly of the fish i cleaned at san luis forbay.

Thanks Don,

I thought about hooking one and leaving it down there but decided to stay within the rules. There were bigger fish on the finder in the same zone, they're probably eating them.

Hey Ron,

I think you should mount that fish.

Leo

I think they charge by the inch for mounting fish. Maybe I can afford it! :Smile: