PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on a Pontoon as a fishing boat?

EL JEFE
10-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Had several boats in the past (aluminum, fiberglass). Never a pontoon. Took a ride on one a few weeks ago and I have to say they are very comfortable!! It was set up with trolling motor, FF, down riggers, etc.. At 50 years old, I'm starting to like the comfort and idea of being able to stand up and mover around. I also think it would safer for kids with the fencing all around.

I'm looking for another boat and have been leaning towards a used pontoon (20'-22') with a 4 stroke (60hp-90hp). They are hard to come by and appear to hold value very well.

Uses:

Primarily fishing DVL (2-3 anglers) 3-5 times per month, with a trips to Castaic every other month or so (2-3 anglers). Mead, Havasu, Lake Mojave probably twice a year with family of 3-4 adults and two kids (ages 8, 13).

Looking for advice or input on a pontoon for my intended uses. Pros and cons vs say a 17-18 foot deep V aluminum boat Tracker/Lund style with windshield.

Thanks for the input!

NFCD I
10-15-2012, 09:18 AM
If you're looking for comfort and only want to bait and wait or troll, a pontoon is probably the way to go. If you want to fish and work the shore line, it's not. The high profile makes it very difficult to handle in the wind.
Good Luck

TUNAVIC
10-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Should work out fine,I know one guide who runs charters out of one,at DVL and Big Bear,and he does very well,and his clients seem to love his set up,I've actually fished on it at DVL and it's pretty sweet,and his rig definitely gets bit,his name is Mark Franco.

Cya Tuna Vic

blackberg
10-17-2012, 11:17 PM
get a 22', with the biggest motor you can afford, and get the 24v ipilot trolling motor.
would be an awesome platform.
I have a 70# bow mount trolling on mine and it works great, except when the wind changes direction,
I know others with the ipilot and it stays put in anchor mode when fishing, even in wind

-bb

flybynight
10-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Get a Pontoon, they can be very comfortible when you get older (like me), also safe for the grandkids. Some have amenities. Mine had a Fridg,micro,fresh water and a head on it. My next boat will be a pontoon after having owned 7 other boats.

EL JEFE
10-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Great idea on the iPilot. I'm thinking 21'-22'. Most I am finding have a 60hp 4 stroke. In order to get a 90hp, which I think would be a nice package, I would have to go new or keep waiting til a used one comes up. New is twice the price of used!!! I wonder how a 21' with a Mercury 60hp Big Foot 4 stroke would do?
Thanks

blackberg
10-19-2012, 12:07 AM
ours is a 20', a 21 or 22 would have been better. has an older 60 2 stroke on it, not fast but not slow either, but with 12 people on board you can feel it., excellent on gas though. with a bigger motor, like a 90, you can pull a tube with no issues.
It is usually just 2 of us, sometimes 4, on fishing and that is fine motor wise.

-bb

blackberg
10-19-2012, 12:08 AM
ours is a 20', a 21 or 22 would have been better. has an older 60 2 stroke on it, not fast but not slow either, but with 12 people on board you can feel it., excellent on gas though. with a bigger motor, like a 90, you can pull a tube with no issues.
It is usually just 2 of us, sometimes 4, on fishing and that is fine motor wise.

-bb

DockRat
10-19-2012, 05:32 AM
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l505/arraflipper/pontoon.jpg

fishfinder
10-29-2012, 06:58 PM
i bought the auto pilot. the battery went dead to quick with it. so i returned it. i can make my battery last all weekend, but the autopilot when used in the anchor mode just sucks the battery dead. unless you get on the lake on a non windy day. not to many of those in canyon lakes.

JL
10-29-2012, 07:14 PM
If truly to be used primarily for fishing... I would suggest you check out pontoons that don't have tons of cushion seating. Some have seating all the way around and make it difficult to fish the rail. I recently fished on a pontoon without passenger seats. We brought folding chairs which worked great.
Several of the Pontoon manufactures have a fishing model that may include a live well and rod holders. Do not exceed 22 ft. Several lakes limit the size of pontoons to under 23. Also if you find a used in your budget that is 3 toons ( has center toon) it will be much more stable and travel faster and smoother on the water. For DVL and other So Cal lakes you will want to have a bimini top to get under for a rest when the temps hit 100.

Hope you find what you need. Tight Lines and God Bless.

EL JEFE
11-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Do not exceed 22 ft. Several lakes limit the size of pontoons to under 23

Thanks for the advice. BTW, which lakes have a size limit on pontoons?

snospdr
11-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I am 65 and have two pontoon boats. The newer boat is a 22 ft. Voyager with a115 hp 4 stroke that we use for fishing at Havasu and the Colorado River. It is a center console, has two fishing chairs on the bow and two on the stern. It has three pontoons and is very stable. It has lots of storage, an enclosed toilet/changing area, and goes about 30 mph. It's got an electric trolling motor that moves it quite well. Our friends love to just sit on the boat in the evening at the dock and b.s. My wife and I (and our big dogs) love these boats. Lots of room to walk around, very stable platforms...Our 5 year old grandson can play with his toys on the floor and not be in the way. The smaller boat is 20 ft. With a 60 horse outboard that we use mostly at San Antonio and Nacimiento. It is not as fast, but we love it as well and there is lots of room all around. 5 of us cast, jigged and trolled for white bass recently without any sense of crowding. Both boats can be beached easily and it's no hassle climbing on and off. I have spent the night on both boats very comfortably. For freshwater fishing, I will never own a regular vee hull again.

flybynight
12-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Mine was a 27 ftr...sure was nice

flybynight
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
The bigger the better !

DrePSP
12-08-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm looking at one as well, but more in 18-20ft. I figure its more room than any other V boat and easier to tow or control if wind pics up. Plus 40-60 horse is all it will need. Especially if I want to troll with the main.