PDA

View Full Version : Angler Elitism..

smokehound
10-12-2012, 01:13 PM
...I'm not knocking anyone on this forum. This was an event IRL.

Lately around the lakes, I've been running into alot of jerks, like they try to deuce on me whenever I share my knowledge.. I just try to share my knowledge, im not trying to impress people, I guess I have the teacher gene... I just feel other anglers are on the same wavelength, yeah?

This one guy, we'll call him "Mr.Taint", totally freaks out at me while I'm showing a couple of kids how to fish for bass.. he goes "Dont listen to that #$%%^&, he dont know what he's talkin about!"

And he's just flipping out at me raging while I just ignore him to the best of my ability. Well, his rage increased, because both those two kids and I started hooking into bass. They werent big, but they were bass nonetheless. So then this guy's tossing his Hudd and talking alot of @#$% on all three of us now, telling us "roboworms are for novices" (despite the fact that I've NEVER seen him hook a bass before o_O) and he even had the nerve to start suggesting we give up and switch to live bait.

He was fully decked out in fishing brand-name apparel, lol! And here's the hilarious part: He casts REALLY hard, but totally missed the water, and his Hudd went into a tree!

if he hadnt been so absorbed in his elitism, that wouldn't have happened! But lo and behold, he decides to take it out on the freaking KIDS. he purposely casted over them specifically to saw them off with his braid! WTF!?

Then Karma blessed us. His third cast at the kids snapped his rod in two. He just sat down on the bench and got real quiet. :LOL:

Ive been running into this alot, lately. People treating me like dirt because I use cheapo gear. It's really sad that people equate name brands with ability and skill... =\

Sure, balanced rods, braided line, etc make things smoother and easier, but that's no excuse to dump on someone for using cheap gear! I do just fine with my 20 dollar setups!

EDIT: I know I posted this in the saltwater board, this still applies. Ive been running into similar situations in the harbor this year, lots of "old timers" that pull the elitist card and treat me like dirt just because I'm not tossing big hammers. =\

City Dad
10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Keep your filthy paws off my fish, dude.

sweetfish
10-12-2012, 01:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with getting average price gear. I usually get 40 to 50 dollar combos. I like having more bang for the buck (setups) as opposed to having one elite rig. Also, roboworms I think requires more skill than one would think. Have to be able to detect the subtle bites which is not easy to do.

Good job on ignoring this guy and helping the future generation develop the passion in our sport.

Gordita
10-12-2012, 02:31 PM
This dude sounds like a real *******. Just ignore him, we 're not in highschool anymore. Do your own thing and enjoy your day out fishing.

etucker1959
10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
...I'm not knocking anyone on this forum. This was an event IRL.

Lately around the lakes, I've been running into alot of jerks, like they try to deuce on me whenever I share my knowledge.. I just try to share my knowledge, im not trying to impress people, I guess I have the teacher gene... I just feel other anglers are on the same wavelength, yeah?

This one guy, we'll call him "Mr.Taint", totally freaks out at me while I'm showing a couple of kids how to fish for bass.. he goes "Dont listen to that #$%%^&, he dont know what he's talkin about!"

And he's just flipping out at me raging while I just ignore him to the best of my ability. Well, his rage increased, because both those two kids and I started hooking into bass. They werent big, but they were bass nonetheless. So then this guy's tossing his Hudd and talking alot of @#$% on all three of us now, telling us "roboworms are for novices" (despite the fact that I've NEVER seen him hook a bass before o_O) and he even had the nerve to start suggesting we give up and switch to live bait.

He was fully decked out in fishing brand-name apparel, lol! And here's the hilarious part: He casts REALLY hard, but totally missed the water, and his Hudd went into a tree!

if he hadnt been so absorbed in his elitism, that wouldn't have happened! But lo and behold, he decides to take it out on the freaking KIDS. he purposely casted over them specifically to saw them off with his braid! WTF!?

Then Karma blessed us. His third cast at the kids snapped his rod in two. He just sat down on the bench and got real quiet. :LOL:

Ive been running into this alot, lately. People treating me like dirt because I use cheapo gear. It's really sad that people equate name brands with ability and skill... =\

Sure, balanced rods, braided line, etc make things smoother and easier, but that's no excuse to dump on someone for using cheap gear! I do just fine with my 20 dollar setups!

EDIT: I know I posted this in the saltwater board, this still applies. Ive been running into similar situations in the harbor this year, lots of "old timers" that pull the elitist card and treat me like dirt just because I'm not tossing big hammers. =\

That's a good story smokehound. I'm just lucky where I fish, nooobody I see gives crap to anybody. If they did, I think some of the locals would have something to say about it including me.

Armofisher818
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Thats messed up bro. Jealous beeches always gonna be around just ignore em and fish on.

DEVOREFLYER
10-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I have learned over the years that no good deed goes unpunished. Often in the past when I saw someone struggling with the wrong setup (hook size, line size, rig setup, bait etc.) and I made an unsolicited suggestion in an attempt to help them I was too often met with the stink eye and no thanks “I know what I am doing”. I no longer give unsolicited advice, but when asked what I am using or what do you suggest, I always tell them or attempt to help them. I have often given someone tackle or helped them with their technique and never received a thanks. I guess it has to do with the times we live, I was not raised that way. If you think it is bad fishing don’t even attempt to assist someone unsolicited at a gun/shooting range.

Koontaj
10-12-2012, 03:25 PM
YA! I run into those type of people when I look in the mirror...ha ha? Shoot! In lincoln park this vato was talking me all crazy about why I use plastics and how stupid it was..he was drunk. Then he asked how much was my gear. Then he was just looking around all crazy...I said ahhh man this guys is going to jack me. Then I started to talk to him all gangster and he left me alone...I said to myself "daaam it worked..im out"

OC ANGLER
10-12-2012, 03:27 PM
HATERS GONNA HATE !

cheap gear or expensive gear to each there own .. people should just enjoy being out on the water .

fishinone
10-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I've never noticed expensive gear making up for someones inability to catch fish, but ability to catch fish can sometimes make up for cheap gear, sometimes.

I spend enough on reels to get a good drag and I buy inexpensive rods.

Non of that matters in the case you described! It sounds like he was just ready for a padded cell.

smokehound
10-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I've never noticed expensive gear making up for someones inability to catch fish, but ability to catch fish can sometimes make up for cheap gear, sometimes.

I spend enough on reels to get a good drag and I buy inexpensive rods.

Non of that matters in the case you described! It sounds like he was just ready for a padded cell. totally agree! Leave the competitive nature where it belongs --the tournaments!

It's not so much the way that nut behaved, but the fact that people will treat me like a damn kid for using grubs.. it happens no matter what kind of fishing I'm doing..

Last year, when I was tossing trout worms a group of people were fly-fishing next to me, and the whole time they were making fun of me for using Berkeley, saying I had no skill and crap like that..

Then I switch to a Thomas buoyant and they started mocking me for that!

Its making me want to fish secluded areas exclusively .. I'm tired of trying to reduce stress because I suffer from extreme hypertension.. I have nothing against a little trash talk during a little friendly competition, but the elitism is killing me :lol:

City Dad
10-12-2012, 04:32 PM
totally agree! Leave the competitive nature where it belongs --the tournaments!

It's not so much the way that nut behaved, but the fact that people will treat me like a damn kid for using grubs.. it happens no matter what kind of fishing I'm doing..

Last year, when I was tossing trout worms a group of people were fly-fishing next to me, and the whole time they were making fun of me for using Berkeley, saying I had no skill and crap like that..

Then I switch to a Thomas buoyant and they started mocking me for that!

Its making me want to fish secluded areas exclusively .. I'm tired of trying to reduce stress because I suffer from extreme hypertension.. I have nothing against a little trash talk during a little friendly competition, but the elitism is killing me :lol:

Fly fishing in a group? What kind of weird-arse places are you fishing???

Thisfool
10-12-2012, 04:34 PM
wow man that sucks sorry to hear that and to hear an adult was being that way towards kids. His life must be really miserable.

im with you on the cheap gear. i only spend enough to make sure i have something that will last at least 2 year. my average combo cost me about 60-70 bucks.

just do your thing and if people don't like it tell them to get over it and move on with there life.

ill go toss some cheap stuff with you any day

cutbait
10-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Screw those guys smoke

Like FISHINONE says, quality drag and castability with reel quality and line quality are the only necessities...

Now....................... I am one to mock the 9 foot salt spinning combo doubled up with 20 lb Berkely Big Game, tossin 4 oz Pyramids with number 8 treble and rainbow powerbait setup... {you know who you are}

Dr. MindBendo
10-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Can't believe this guy acted like such an A-HOLE. What lake was this at if you don't mind me asking?

smokehound
10-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Can't believe this guy acted like such an A-HOLE. What lake was this at if you don't mind me asking?Laguna lake...

Hard to believe anyone could be pissed at such a beautiful park..

trail blazer
10-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Smoke,,,,,,,,,,,,i didnt know that was you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thought you was L/Q,,,,,,,,,,,,Go figure,,lol.

Next time don,t wear such SHEER<freekofnaturish> clothing and i wont make that kind of mistake.

trail blazer

teejay
10-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Other than a handful of fishing excursions while I was growing up, I didn’t take up the hobby of fishing until later in life. I’ll never forget the time early in my pursuit when I walked into a shop with a trout name and logo on their shingle in the town of Mammoth. At first, it felt good to be among all the various new tackle and gear, overhearing the various inane conversations of fisherman concerning Trico hatches, tippet size, grizzly hackle, etc… Approaching the counter, I confidently asked for nightcrawlers. The effect was electric. Everyone in the store stopped what they were doing and turned at me with icy stares. The employee contemptibly told me that I would have to go down to Bishop for “bait” Not being sure at the time what I said or did wrong, I made an uncomfortable and hasty exit to avoid a lynching. Even though I have since taken up the fly myself, I feel just as rewarded with a cane pole and a bobber -ooops … indicator.:Big Grin:

smokehound
10-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Never understood the animosity towards using nightcrawlers, myself. Hell, they catch EVERYTHING. Great for city park lakes, catch both bass AND trout!

You should see how people react when I say I use flies with spinning gear :LOL: It's like I defiled a baby or something.. =\

Hahaha, tb..

andrew95
10-13-2012, 10:08 AM
I've had a group of old flyfishing gearheads talk crap and make snide remarks to me and my brother while setting up in the parking lot at North Lake. One of them kept saying something about "powerbait" lol.

We get out there in our tubes jigging powerworms and Berkley nymphs hooking into fish like every other cast. We started loudly saying "damn this powerbait is total sh*t, we should start flyfishing" while releasing the stockers and brooks with a little splash.

They kept their heads down and I think they brought in a total of about 2 fish over a couple hour period lmao!

4g63power
10-13-2012, 12:42 PM
so are you saying that i shouldnt wear my fishworks shorts, visor and g loomis sweater next time i show up at big 5 to pu night crawlers?

troutman27
10-13-2012, 01:09 PM
I fish Laguna quite frequently. I think I may know who you are referring to. I just respond with "settle down Tred Barta, I am just trying enjoy my afternoon".

DEVOREFLYER
10-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Around 10+ years ago my business partner said he was treating me to an offshore fishing trip out of Ventura. He had used this Charter Captain many, many times before and said that while they had the regular jackpot they also had a first fish jackpot. When they were signing up for the jackpots my partner told me to save my money as he never ever lost on the first fish caught. I thought he was just kidding as he usually does on fishing trips, I bought in anyhow. When it was time to drop lines over the side he was ready with a nightcrawler on the hook WTF I thought, a nightcrawler in the ocean. Not 30 seconds later he is hooked up, yip first fish and a jackpot winner. The other people on the boat screamed and could not believe he used a nightcrawler in the ocean. They were still crying about it as he counted the money. I am a believer!!!:EyePop:

jaggerbub
10-13-2012, 02:59 PM
I fish Laguna quite frequently. I think I may know who you are referring to. I just respond with "settle down Tred Barta, I am just trying enjoy my afternoon".

Lol... Tred Barta... That's the funniest thing i've ever read here on fnn.

GhettoBasster
10-13-2012, 04:55 PM
That's a hilarious yet disturbing story Smoke. In all my years fishing, I've discovered that the fish have no idea what gear you're using. I fish a lot with carpangler and he always out fishes me with his cheaper gear. And every time I see a kid with a Scooby Doo pole out fish the guy with the Loomis, I smile.

zack stroud
10-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Having cheap gear leaves more money for more baits and lures =) and we all know what that means!

Ifishtoolittle
10-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Karma is wonderful. I just cannot believe that there are people out there who can call themselves an angler and dump on the future generation of anglers.

DockRat
10-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Just give him the http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/SoCalDrew_OT/kid_finger.jpg

Around 10+ years ago my business partner said he was treating me to an offshore fishing trip out of Ventura. He had used this Charter Captain many, many times before and said that while they had the regular jackpot they also had a first fish jackpot. When they were signing up for the jackpots my partner told me to save my money as he never ever lost on the first fish caught. I thought he was just kidding as he usually does on fishing trips, I bought in anyhow. When it was time to drop lines over the side he was ready with a nightcrawler on the hook WTF I thought, a nightcrawler in the ocean. Not 30 seconds later he is hooked up, yip first fish and a jackpot winner. The other people on the boat screamed and could not believe he used a nightcrawler in the ocean. They were still crying about it as he counted the money. I am a believer!!!:EyePop:

A friend was telling me about his hand poured night crawlers work great on sculpin.
I've used live goldfish for Calico's. They last 20 - 30 minutes.
When they get weak you just toss them back in the FW bucket and they come back to life. I guess they look like Baby Garabaldi. :LOL:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/duffjoshua/Sea%20Creatures/169Garabaldi5.jpghttp://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s550/philhayes1/DSCN2551_zps34260c18.jpg
DR

Marley
10-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I have a couple of higher-priced trout rods, though nothing at all fancy. The majority of my freshwater arsenal is Ugly Sticks and Daiwa Spinmatics, and I can attest that they fish almost the same. Big difference is that I have never (knock wood) broken an Ugly Stick but I have broken three Phenixes. I will never buy another one of those pieces.
The most important component of the angling combination is the guy (or gal) holding the rod. Either you have it or you don't and the cost of the tackle you're using doesn't much matter. Not so much for the saltwater scene, but very true for most freshwater applications.
As for giving advice to people I don't know, I NEVER offer it without first being asked. It's just plain rude.

LGHT
10-15-2012, 11:52 AM
haha that's a funny story. I recall showing some kids how to catch trout at Legg a LONG time ago and running into the same thing. This guy was probably in high school and the other kids in Jr. High so he though his $$%# didn't stink. Well whenever any of the younger kids or their friends noticed him trying to fish they would throw rocks around his lines until he got up and moved. It was the funniest thing ever.

rip555
10-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Unless you fish with high end gear, you aren't a real fisherman.

I myself go with a soda can and line around it. I only buy name brand soda and not the generic stuff so I think that's pretty high end. If I feel real baller, I might use a 2 liter bottle. The line goes out further because of the bottle diameter.

Sublime-Steve
10-15-2012, 01:24 PM
should have said... U mad bro?

fishinone
10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Now....................... I am one to mock the 9 foot salt spinning combo doubled up with 20 lb Berkely Big Game, tossin 4 oz Pyramids with number 8 treble and rainbow powerbait setup... {you know who you are}

Hey! Now this is getting personal. :Sad:

smokehound
10-15-2012, 03:58 PM
It's funny you guys mention the "not offering help" thing, because it's totally true.

people will get butthurt over some weird things.

I tossed a guy a roboworm a LOOONG time ago, and he totally flipped out, and ripped it in half!

The people that refuse help out of fear of looking inept. :LOL:

Marley
10-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Unless you fish with high end gear, you aren't a real fisherman.

I myself go with a soda can and line around it. I only buy name brand soda and not the generic stuff so I think that's pretty high end. If I feel real baller, I might use a 2 liter bottle. The line goes out further because of the bottle diameter.

OH YEAH? Well, I bet you still use Walmart Blue line. So there. (JUST KIDDING.......!)

True story: Fishing at SARL one day and these three guys walk down to the water. One had a rod and reel, the other two had soda cans wrapped with line. They caught fish right along with the rest of us. It really is mostly about the guy holding the tackle!