PDA

View Full Version : San Luis late report 9-29, 9-30

MonsterGuppy
10-11-2012, 09:45 PM
We drove up Friday night and stayed in the campground off Basalt rd, its a nice one and would stay there again anytime, The drive up was 4 1/2 hrs but very easy towing straight up the 5. Theres a small tackle shop in Santa Nella where we stopped in to get the local scoop. They sugested live bait Giant minnows at $14 bucks for 12 and to fish them at the trash pump, between the 3 of us we sprang for some, dropped them in a 5 gal bucket the tackle shop guy filled up with a blue tint to the water, had a battery powered bubbler going thru the night to keep them alive and it worked fine.

Saturday morning the boat inspection was a breeze and hit the water @ 6:30am. Headed straight for the trash pump area as we pulled up I counted at least 20 boats all doing the bait and wait. About 300 yards out I slowed down to trolling speed and one of my buddys tossed out a KPN and hooked up.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=3162234193304&set=vb.1788811638&type=2&theater

Fish taped out at 21" but we were feeling good and let him go. Metered lots of fish 30 down to 100 feet but no solid schools never got a hit on the live bait it was a full moon weekend if that counts for anything lol, water temps ran between 70-74 degrees.

Afternoon we tried the cove in behind dinosar point and got one more 20" on a nightcrawler.

Second day Sunday a solid skunk all around but we did have a good time and learned alot about some new water.

As a side note we talked with the rangers and they let us know that the dam had a slow leak they have temped patched it. They will be dropping the water level till they get enough of the dam exposed to make a perminent repair so no more water flow for while.

snospdr
10-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the report! It is always helpful to know what's hot and what's not. When the main lake is slow, it can be very good in the forebay. If you decide to try it, I have often had good luck drifting/trolling motoring from the highway bridge down to the power lines along the edge of the channel with large or jumbo minnows before 8 a.m. and then late in the day. Thanks again for the report!