PDA

View Full Version : skinner 10/8

Matt_Magnone
10-08-2012, 03:13 PM
hit the lake today. fish are definitely in transition. air temp and water temp have started to cool. as you can tell by the fog we've been getting. the fish should be getting thick in the east ends.

started off on the south shore working some productive tule lines. first cast with the CL8 5" clacker i got mangled by a striper. little guy only a couple of pounds. 18" -20"i pushed the arm out so you guys could get a glimpse of the bait. damn stripers dont stop moving!

second cast get bit again ; striper about the same size 18"-20"

third cast again; same thing, another cookie cutter.

what the hell? haha. put the trolling motor on high to get away from them. finally worked down a tule stretch pretty close and decided to drop the 5" clacker and pick up the CL8 CB7". threw down the perfect tule line and right when the bait gets to this little point BAM!

yep.... another striper! same thing, nothing out of control; only a couple of pounds. What the F!!!? you can tell by my expression that im pissed :LOL: same thing; pushed the bait and fish out so you guys can check them out.

started jamming down the bank on full making specific casts here and there just to get away from them with nada.

switched locations; nada.

north shore; nada

east end; nada

ended up scratching fish on the swimbait here and there a little later but nothing of size. not even worthy of a picture. i know there are a lot of striper heads here so i figure id give you guys a heads up that the fish are packed up chasing right now.

i remember last year the bite did the same thing right before it went stupid. the morning was a total drop shot bite throwing 4"zoom watermelon candy worms then picking up the jerkbait and spinnerbait in the afternoon when the wind blew. i would pray every trip for the wind because without it ; it was flat out boring as hell! when the shad birds started invading the east end that signaled the fun bite. get up in the shallows and throw to your hearts content. i still think we're still early. 2 or 3 weeks and it will be epic.

all in all the bite sucked for me. no big fish and not much for numbers. didnt want to throw anything other than the swimmer so i stayed with a dead pattern for the day. oh well.

DBass
10-08-2012, 04:04 PM
thanks for the report. was out there Saturday and seen a guy at the end of the day with 5 stripers about the size you are showing, he said he got them the same way on swimbaits. i was there for LMB so didnt go for mr stripy!

Matt_Magnone
10-08-2012, 04:10 PM
thanks for the report. was out there Saturday and seen a guy at the end of the day with 5 stripers about the size you are showing, he said he got them the same way on swimbaits. i was there for LMB so didnt go for mr stripy!

yeah stripers only get my blood pumping around the stock. other than that; they're carp to me. haha

Ian
10-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Thanks for this! I'm going there tomorrow for the stripers. Any boils seen? and are those CL8s slow sink or topwater?

P.A.W.
10-08-2012, 05:10 PM
yeah stripers only get my blood pumping around the stock. other than that; they're carp to me. haha

That's why I target both. Stripers early and LMB when I have enough jailbirds for food. A bud of mine called and told me the striper bite was on Saturday. He got a 7lber which is good for Skinner. BTW Ian He said between 7:00am and 10:30 he saw a number of boiling pods. Sheesh! Now another bait I need to buy. I'll be by Last Chance soon.

karalm
10-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Matt,
Way to go yesterday. I threw at them Sunday for nothing but the big skunk and was throwing the CL8 5" along the tules. Waiting for the epic bite in two weeks during our tourney.

Sublime-Steve
10-09-2012, 06:15 AM
I hit skinner on sat. fished from shore off the horse trail side and saw HUGE bass chasing all the small bass they would sit under the lip of the rock and wait for a school to swim by and whamo!!! so i threw my lil shad lookin swim bait for not a damn thing but 1 chased it in like 3 times

Matt_Magnone
10-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I hit skinner on sat. fished from shore off the horse trail side and saw HUGE bass chasing all the small bass they would sit under the lip of the rock and wait for a school to swim by and whamo!!! so i threw my lil shad lookin swim bait for not a damn thing but 1 chased it in like 3 times

sounds like you were by launch ramp 2. that was one of my patterns. i would get 2 opportunities throughout the day to get them to commit. in the low light and when the wind blew. other than that they would just follow. there were 6-10# fish doin it. i love seeing bigger fish in wolf packs!!!!!

stocker
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
One man's "trash" is another man's glory. I'll take 20" stripers all day long, I love that fish. Greens, oh, well says I-take 'em or leave 'em.

carpanglerdude
10-09-2012, 06:16 PM
One man's "trash" is another man's glory. I'll take 20" stripers all day long, I love that fish. Greens, oh, well says I-take 'em or leave 'em.

I just started trying to catch striper this year and I would gladly take catching a few of these 20'' fish. Nice report Matt, thank you for posting!

ddoskocil
10-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Catching fish is catching fish...looks good to me. Nothing like a fluke bite when they're really going after it. Need to work on my swimbaiting! Thanks, Matt.

Ian
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Matt, how do you negotiate lay downs and mats? It's hard to get the swimbait close to the tules when there is even just one broken tule laying in the way of your retrieve. Some tules have patches of matted weeds against them. I would think you would have to be running the swimbait at least a foot away from the tules to not get hung up, right?

Matt_Magnone
10-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Matt, how do you negotiate lay downs and mats? It's hard to get the swimbait close to the tules when there is even just one broken tule laying in the way of your retrieve. Some tules have patches of matted weeds against them. I would think you would have to be running the swimbait at least a foot away from the tules to not get hung up, right?

very good question and im glad somebody took the time to think about it then ask.

when i fish a swimbait i dont fish in conventional. most people think of it as a repetitive cast bait thats used for covering water in hopes of a big bite. if it pays off; cool, if not; i'l go to a worm. not me. i fish this bait like i fish a plastic worm on a rockpile. i like to pick pieces of structure and cover apart. while i talk about "burning bank with the motor on high", im not necessarily throwing down the bank like a mad man; however i do pick the perfect angles apart and the perfect lines. i want to move fast but at the same time not wear out my welcome by showing the bait too much to the fish. every cast you make, the switch of the trolling motor, stepping on the deck and shifting of your boat weight are negatives. too many negatives and you're screwed. if i go down the bank and see a perfect opportunity 5 boat lengths away from me, although i know in my head i can take a chance and make it, i'll often wait for the perfect line and coast into the best zone possible taking a stealth approace. its all about being precise and methodical.

when i approach a tule line i look for areas of ambush. i want to imagine myself as a fish and how i would relate to cover to conceal myself on the hunt. im concerned about sun angle and how it creates shade lines and its own soft cover "points", soft cover in general and wind direction.

in the morning i may go 100 yards on a tule stretch and not find any useable water. nothing that really stands out as a key ambush spot but in the afternoon that stretch could be absolutely off the charts as totally different shade lines appear. you need to remember this kind of stuff as you approach an area. a lot to think about but it definitely makes the difference. dont feel the need that you "have" to cast down a stretch just because it looks awesome. a lot of times you'll be just doing a WHOLE lot of casting. a lot of times this will open up doors for spot specific type swimbaits but thats a whole 'nother subject in itself

everything matters but without dragging it on any further, to answer the question, the biggest thing is understanding the environment, understanding fish location and knowing what your bait can do intimately.

which way did the wind blow yesterday?
what areas are prone to more sunlight than others?
shallower vs deeper areas?

if we're talking the fall bite, grass is starting to break up. you'll see a bunch of stringy patches everywhere and all those coots will be scootin' around them. you cant miss it. you'll have a hard time casting without those suckers blowing up your water triggering the whole flock. gotta use logic. if you know the wind on our lakes in the afternoon generally blows from the west, there's a good possibility that west facing tule points on the north easterly banks will be caked in this stuff which will in turn make throwing a treble hooked bait a nightmare. like i said before, its all about picking the right casts and knowing what your bait can do. it never fails though. you'll always find that mystery tule that grabs you EVERY time! if you do screw your cast up ; just leave and come back later. a lot of times whatever fish may have been positioned around that spot may re position giving you another shot. sometimes you screwed the spot up for the day. it happens. the last few trips i've been fishing really tight to cover.

this question is actually a lot harder to answer than you'd think. a lot of its just knowing.

hope my ramblings helped.

Ian
10-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Nicely done!
Thanks!