PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Working the South side. 10/6/12

murrieta angler
10-06-2012, 07:08 PM
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-196.jpg

I decided yesterday that I was going to get out this weekend and try and get on some fish.
I have been back on the site, reading the reports, and knew that things were starting to pick up.
I check the conditions last night and told myself that I would do at least 2 beaches if the first didn’t pan out.

I arrived at 6:10 this morning to crystal clear water, very little salad, 65-66 degree water, 2-3 foot surf @ 10-12 seconds, 2-3 foot swells and a comfortable 68 degrees outside.
I was using my usual Clarus rod paired with my Saros 4000 and my first LC was a brand new Zebra Sardine. Oh, I was using 8lb P-Line.

I started at my usual spot, for this particular beach in SDC, and it looked kind of promising.
I was having clean retrieves and was able to see my LC at least 8-10 feet out.
I had already decided that I was going to fan cast this day and see if any structure had receded from the last big set of waves a little while back.
It was about 40 minutes into the session before I got my first bump. It was a perch nibble, so I worked the area for a few minutes and got the skunk off my back.
It was a little 5-6 incher and I threw it back into the water.
Sorry no picture.
I kept working my way South for no love and no new structure.
It seemed that the perch was going to be my only fish for the morning.
I had seen a couple of teenagers so when I got to their spot I stopped to see if they had any luck.
They each said no and as I was looking at there set-ups, I noticed they were using Big Hammers with 3/8 oz lead heads.
I suggested they try a Carolina rig in an area where I got a few perch nibbles.
They said they had no grubs so I reached into my back pack and gave them some 4” red ones. I said goodbye and headed South...:Secret:
I went almost to the last life guard station before I decided to turn and head back.
I was getting the occasional perch nibbles but I was wanting something bigger.
It was now about 9:15 and I was at a spot where there is normally some action.
I was just about to the end of the area when I get a solid pull on my line.
I jerked my rod back and set the hook!
It proceeded to take line at a casual rate and head North, parallel with the shore.
I knew it was either a shark or a ray.
After 15 minutes I saw that it was a shovelnose.
I got it to shore, pulled the hook out of its fin and measured it. It was 38” long, 4 inches shy of my PB……so I thought?!?
When I got home, I looked at my PB sheet and saw that my PB was 24” NOT 42”…DOHHHHH
Needless to say, I didn’t take a picture cause I thought it wasn’t a PB. LIVE & LEARN
As the tide was getting higher, the salad was getting thicker, so I was pretty much getting frustrated.
I didn’t get anything after that but I saw the 2 young guys and they each had a few perch under there belt.
I said cool and was getting ready to bail when they asked if I had any more grubs. So, I gave them the whole pack and told them to cut them in half.
I left that beach at around 10:30 and gave an update to some of the fellows.

After leaving I needed to stop and get some gas. I hit up the AM PM in Tamarack and decided that a spicy big bite was in order. Along with a cherry coke…yum yum!!!

I arrived at my next destination at 11:15, to find this;
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-195.jpg
I should have come here first.
Oh well, hind sight is a bleeeep!
I was pleasantly surprised to find some new structure and even a few bait fish in the water : )
I started casting out and reeling in, casting out and reeling in, casting out and reeling in..etc WHAT THE HECK?!
Not even a perch nibble and I mean conditions were just awesome, for this particular beach.
I was working my way South and it was almost an hour before I pulled in a perch.
I tossed it back in and worked the area for a couple more minutes for nothing.
High tide was at around 12:30 today at about 5.2 feet.
I was hoping that the hour before and hour after would be the ticket………NOPE!!!
I then told myself that I would just walk the beach and see if there was any new structure South of my usual turn around spot.
Good thing I did...:Wink:

I found some really nice rocky bottoms with sand just beyond the rock.
Perfect for halibut to wait and attack!
I then decided to put on my go to LC, Anchovy!
Well, I made the right choice.
Not 10 minutes after I head back North, I get a “THUMP” in about 12 inches of water.
I start to reel it in, pretty effortlessly, and thought I had a strong juvenile flatty.
That wasn’t the case….when it got a look at me it decided to take a nice 5-6 second drag race for open water.
I had my drag kinda loose because of the 8lb line.
When I saw it, I thought, “ Oh is this the one?!?” :Surprised:
I would get it close, then it would peel some line again, and so on for 4 total line pullers.
I finally got it’s head turned around and was rewarded with this beauty;
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-200.jpg
I couldn’t wait to measure it, I have been trying to get a 30”, for what seems like an eternity.
I get out my tape measure and;
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-199.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-198.jpg

28 ½ inches! I tied my PB… :Neutral:
Oh well, it was a sweet battle and I was able to take it home :Cool:
I called it a day, at 3:00, and went to clean up.
When I put the fish on my tail gate, I hadn’t noticed that it’s tail had a bite taken out of it;
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/image-197.jpg
Maybe a Bad *** Perch?!

Should I try the same area again tomorrow?
Only time will tell.
Take Care All & May God Bless You!

Robert
<><

Mr_Dunev
10-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Very nice Fish Rob! I love those times, when you have to make a decision to head back or keep going, and your decision pays off!! I can't tell you how many time, I had to tell myself, "I'll go to the next rock" and It ends up being 2 more hours, with nothing to show for it. Well done again for the Beautiful fish, If he hadn't had a bite taken out of it, it might have been a new PB :Embarrassed:

Great to see you today,
Lucas

SP Dan
10-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Reserved
Don't ask me why....it's just what we do! :) :ROFL:
.................................................. .................................................. ..................

Ata boy Roberto the halibut slaying "Cowboy"! EEE...YA...HOOOO!!
"Congratulations" on beaching the twin to your other PB! WTG! :Beer Toast: A toast to your twins!
You are a dangerous RECON soldier with a stix :Death2Above:, you are their worst enemy in their trenches! Way to slay brotha!

What a fun....action felt read! You had me on the edge of my chair after the text with the toothy head shot! I thought that you achieved your set goal.....Darn! ......Soon my friend!

I always look forward to reading your posting, it reminds me of the good times.... when we fished the same salt together! :Big Grin:

PS...That's one beautiful slab of sweet taco filling my friend! :LOL:

I'll be seeing you at the HG-4 brotha! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
10-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Reserved
Don't ask me why....it's just what we do! :)

You crack me up dan!!!

bones
10-06-2012, 07:54 PM
No reservation needed......Locked, loaded and KIA....... Damn Robert.... see what you can do when you actually hit the sand. Great job sticking with it brotha and sliding that nice legal up to your toes. Your an animal when ever you put that hali hunting stick in action. If I know you....You have already answered your own question if you should hit the same spot again. Good luck out there brotha and see you at HG IV.

fishshep
10-06-2012, 08:05 PM
NICE CATCHIN !!! :Smile:

No doubt about it (From seeing that cond,Pic)

Would hit that area again !!! :Smile:

CaliButts
10-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Sooooo Close!!:Cool: You'll get that thirty soon enough!! Congrats on another nice flatty!!

bachiboy
10-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Yeehaw!!!!!!! Sorry u didn't respond to your text but I was stuck at a wedding. I was showing the cropped picture to my wife and we had a bet on how big. Based on the tailgate slots I guessed 28", she guessed 30". I was hoping she was right (for once :ROFL:), but I guess I win that bet. I was really hoping you'd nail a nice flattie at AO 2 when I got that text. And that was a prime example of karma biting you on the ***...only in a good way. You helped those kids and poseidon rewarded you in kind.:Wink: Way to go man! Hope you get that 30+ tomorrow!!!

Don

iLLest
10-07-2012, 01:34 AM
ROBERTOOOOO!!!!!!
Dude so close once again. It looks like things are starting to pick up once again, we gotta get our butts our there.
That water looks amazing. Mike is right, if time permits, your definitely going to be out there bro. Its too good not to be!
Bring home the 30"errrr. Gl and see ya at HG4 :D

Which Way Out
10-07-2012, 07:56 AM
I would bet you are right back out there right now while I am writing this.
Very nice fish Robert.

Try this recipe on a few filets

Cut your fish to portion size.
Now trust me on this...
Mix Grated Parmesan Cheese, (not the powdered pizza kind), Mayo and Girard's Caesar Salad dressing together into a thick goo. More cheese is good. Equal mix of mayo and Caesar, maybe a little more Caesar than mayo :Big Grin:

Preheat your oven to 350
Cover a cookie sheet with crumpled foil sprayed with a little Pam. (The crumpled foil makes all fish easier to remove when done)
Place your fish on the foil and cover the top of the fish with the mix around 1/4-3/8" thick.
Sprinkle a little chopped green onion on top of the mix.

Bake for appox 10 minutes....Then Turn the oven off and Turn the Broiler on for NO MORE the 2 minutes. Watch it.. When the Cheese mix begins to brown remove and serve.
Squeeze a little lemon and enjoy.

Robert this is so %&$*ing good you won't believe it. I did it on my last piece of Halibut not long ago and can't wait to try again. The Caesar dressing adds a tasting zing that is unbelievable. As good as any great restaurant dinner I have ever had. Save the fish tacos for a lesser fish...Just saying.

WWO

PONTOON
10-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Great job out there Robert!:Cool:

When I got your text yesterday I just had a feeling you were going to make the day produce for you and then when I got the "report up" text I knew you had succeeded in bringing something nice to the sand.:Wink:

Congratulations and I'm looking forward to seeing you at Hunting giants.:Thumbs Up:

rydharde
10-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Sweet Catch!!!

Newfishsmell
10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Awesome catch Robert !!
And good to see a report from ya.

Wingnut
10-08-2012, 04:38 PM
When you told me that you were heading to that 2nd A.O., I knew you were going to stick something worthwhile. :Big Grin:
That's a beautiful legal Roberto... don't worry, that 30" plus is coming your way. I still think that you will do it this year. :Wink:
See ya at HG4 my friend. :Cool:

DockRat
10-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Good looking Hali Robert.:Applause:
DR

bachiboy
10-08-2012, 05:12 PM
... don't worry, that 30" plus is coming your way. I still think that you will do it this year. :Wink:

The inner eye is telling me that you'll get that fish right around the 20th of this month! :Wink:

koifish
10-09-2012, 12:06 AM
nice catch Robert.

cjmedina
10-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Nice.. just short.. i still remember that day at san o

murrieta angler
10-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Reserved
Don't ask me why....it's just what we do! :) :ROFL:
.................................................. .................................................. ..................

Ata boy Roberto the halibut slaying "Cowboy"! EEE...YA...HOOOO!!
"Congratulations" on beaching the twin to your other PB! WTG! :Beer Toast: A toast to your twins!
You are a dangerous RECON soldier with a stix :Death2Above:, you are their worst enemy in their trenches! Way to slay brotha!

What a fun....action felt read! You had me on the edge of my chair after the text with the toothy head shot! I thought that you achieved your set goal.....Darn! ......Soon my friend!

I always look forward to reading your posting, it reminds me of the good times.... when we fished the same salt together! :Big Grin:

PS...That's one beautiful slab of sweet taco filling my friend! :LOL:

I'll be seeing you at the HG-4 brotha! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Morning Dan,
Knowing you, you are probably out in the surf this morning.
Have you been feeling okay? I haven't been getting my daily dose of, "The Dan Fishing Tribune"! :Big Grin:
Only one week left till HG4, see you soon.
Robert
<><

No reservation needed......Locked, loaded and KIA....... Damn Robert.... see what you can do when you actually hit the sand. Great job sticking with it brotha and sliding that nice legal up to your toes. Your an animal when ever you put that hali hunting stick in action. If I know you....You have already answered your own question if you should hit the same spot again. Good luck out there brotha and see you at HG IV.

Oy Mike,
I didn't end up going the next day, my body told my mind to sleep in...:Smile:
See you at HG4 on the 20th.
Robert
<><

NICE CATCHIN !!! :Smile:

No doubt about it (From seeing that cond,Pic)

Would hit that area again !!! :Smile:

Thanks Daniel,
Are you going to HG4?
Hope so, looking forward to seeing you.
Robert
<><

Sooooo Close!!:Cool: You'll get that thirty soon enough!! Congrats on another nice flatty!!

Thank you very much.
Appreciate the encouragement.
Robert
<><

Yeehaw!!!!!!! Sorry u didn't respond to your text but I was stuck at a wedding. I was showing the cropped picture to my wife and we had a bet on how big. Based on the tailgate slots I guessed 28", she guessed 30". I was hoping she was right (for once :ROFL:), but I guess I win that bet. I was really hoping you'd nail a nice flattie at AO 2 when I got that text. And that was a prime example of karma biting you on the ***...only in a good way. You helped those kids and poseidon rewarded you in kind.:Wink: Way to go man! Hope you get that 30+ tomorrow!!!

Don

Oh Don,
You should know that you never bet with your wife, she will always win, one way or the other...:Confused:
I didn't get out the next day, I needed some rest. Been some long days but work is slowing down a bit and I should be able to hit the salt more in the near future.
See you at HG4,
Robert
<><

ROBERTOOOOO!!!!!!
Dude so close once again. It looks like things are starting to pick up once again, we gotta get our butts our there.
That water looks amazing. Mike is right, if time permits, your definitely going to be out there bro. Its too good not to be!
Bring home the 30"errrr. Gl and see ya at HG4 :D

Hey Frank,
I know there is a 30" out there with my name on it, but i guess it doesn't know that...:Razz:
See ya at HG4,
Robert
<><

I would bet you are right back out there right now while I am writing this.
Very nice fish Robert.

Try this recipe on a few filets

Cut your fish to portion size.
Now trust me on this...
Mix Grated Parmesan Cheese, (not the powdered pizza kind), Mayo and Girard's Caesar Salad dressing together into a thick goo. More cheese is good. Equal mix of mayo and Caesar, maybe a little more Caesar than mayo :Big Grin:

Preheat your oven to 350
Cover a cookie sheet with crumpled foil sprayed with a little Pam. (The crumpled foil makes all fish easier to remove when done)
Place your fish on the foil and cover the top of the fish with the mix around 1/4-3/8" thick.
Sprinkle a little chopped green onion on top of the mix.

Bake for appox 10 minutes....Then Turn the oven off and Turn the Broiler on for NO MORE the 2 minutes. Watch it.. When the Cheese mix begins to brown remove and serve.
Squeeze a little lemon and enjoy.

Robert this is so %&$*ing good you won't believe it. I did it on my last piece of Halibut not long ago and can't wait to try again. The Caesar dressing adds a tasting zing that is unbelievable. As good as any great restaurant dinner I have ever had. Save the fish tacos for a lesser fish...Just saying.

WWO

Brotha Bill,
The recipe sounds sweet, except one thing...I'm not real big on cheese. BUT, I will try it once and let you know the outcome. i still have some of that flatty on the freezer and I'll give it a try this wekend..:Big Grin:
See ya next Saturday at HG4,
Robert
<><

Great job out there Robert!:Cool:

When I got your text yesterday I just had a feeling you were going to make the day produce for you and then when I got the "report up" text I knew you had succeeded in bringing something nice to the sand.:Wink:

Congratulations and I'm looking forward to seeing you at Hunting giants.:Thumbs Up:

Terry
I always look forward to seeing you Buddy..:Wink:
It's going to be a great time at HG4 indeed...:Envious:
See you next weekend,
Robert
<><

Sweet Catch!!!

Thank You!
Robert
<><

Awesome catch Robert !!
And good to see a report from ya.

Hey Chuck,
Thanks! You gonna be at HG4 with Little C ?!? (I hope that's right)..:Embarrassed:
If so, I will see you next week,
Robert
<><

When you told me that you were heading to that 2nd A.O., I knew you were going to stick something worthwhile. :Big Grin:
That's a beautiful legal Roberto... don't worry, that 30" plus is coming your way. I still think that you will do it this year. :Wink:

Arturo,
When I saw the fish, i thought for sure it was finally my turn...:Cool:
But alas, it wasn't meant to be...:Rolls Eyes:
Oh well, there is always the next time...:Big Grin:
See you next week at the GRAND GALA!!!
Robert
<><

Good looking Hali Robert.:Applause:
DR

Thanks DR,
Are you going to attend the event next week?
Why not?! There will be plenty of good eats and some good times...:Smile:
Take Care,
Robert
<><

The inner eye is telling me that you'll get that fish right around the 20th of this month! :Wink:

Right now my inner eye is burning from the ceviche i had last night....lots of jalapenos and habaneros...:mad: :ROFL: :Explode: :Wink:
I think you get my drift.
See you at HG4 Don,
Robert
<><

nice catch Robert.

Thanks Koifish.
C-Ya next week.
Robert
<><

Nice.. just short.. i still remember that day at san o

Carlos!!
Brotha, where have you been? You don't call, you don't text, what's up?!
Hope all is well Bro,
Robert
<><

kevin32
10-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Nice catch!! :Big Grin:

keepemlo
10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Still up to your old tricks ,,,,wow thats Nice ,,pretty cool catch ,,,Still hanging on to that clarius rod hun ,,youve landed Somers Nice ones bro,,,hmmmmm ,,Nice going ..lotsofbites