PDA

View Full Version : Newport Pier Rules and Requlations?

Vies
10-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Before i get into this................I know i should have called DFG.

Anyways, I went to Newport on beach enjoying my anniversary with the GF sunday Sept. 30 (last sunday) and when i got there i wanted to get my line wet. As i looked around, i noticed that there were alot of non english speaking people surrounding me. Not to say the least but out of curiousity, i asked if there were anyone around catching any fish? The GF went to grab a couple dogs to eat at the end of the pier and while i set up my 30 year old Sportfisherman rod and real( Yeah, i know, its old school also my first Pier fishing pole ever). Completing the setup, one of my fellow fisherman caught a pretty large fish, so again i asked and no one spoke english. So i just simply watched and fished on my own.

Later, i casted and my spool released from the reel and that was the end of the Legendary Sportsfisherman Reel... :(

Upon watching the others, they had a setup of 6 or treble hooks on one line!!!:/ what the? At the very end, they had Bright ribbons top and bottom. I was wondering what all the commotion was when they were constantly yanking they poles as if they got something.. hmmm... yeah they were snagging FISH... well i let it go(which i should have called DFG like i said to see if that was legal).... looked over the horizon and there were another group of more non english underneath the pier with backpacks over their shoulders in front of them diving for something that they were sneaking into that back pack.....

It was very large CLAMS!!!! Man they were taking them by the hundreds WHAT THE HECK!

By that time i was pretty irritated but i didn't want to ruin our Anniversary by spending time making phone calls.....

Anyway guys whats the deal.... ?

Which Way Out
10-06-2012, 08:32 AM
DFG reads our Forums along with all the others out there. I imagine one of them will visit the pier soon.

BTW happy anniversary.
WWO

ml8fish
10-06-2012, 10:00 AM
i visit this pier from time to time and i see this too. stupidly enough snagging is actually legal off a pier or break, although not honorable for sure. hmmm... clams? or mussels? i dont think taking mussels is, not sure that we have any clams here... maybe and i just wasnt aware? bummer about your rod!

LuckyCraft420
10-06-2012, 10:13 AM
It's a shame, but is legal. I've watched a guy snag a 18+ inch spotty on the Newport pier. They also like to snag from bridges in the north OC area. At least there not at the city park lakes...

Wingnut
10-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Snagging is actually legal in the ocean for most species... :Neutral:
They were probably harvesting Mussels, not sure if that's legal or not. :Idea:
Now, if they were stuffing Lobsters in their backpacks... that would be a big problem. Unfortunately, that happens a lot too. :mad:
Happy anniversary. :Big Grin:

smokehound
10-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Pismos are common in Newport beach during late summer and early fall..

Vies
10-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Snagging is actually legal in the ocean for most species... :Neutral:
They were probably harvesting Mussels, not sure if that's legal or not. :Idea:
Now, if they were stuffing Lobsters in their backpacks... that would be a big problem. Unfortunately, that happens a lot too. :mad:
Happy anniversary. :Big Grin:

thanks ALL!

Wingnut, but more than 3 hooks in the state of California is illegal right? or does that only count for California lakes?

Anyway guys thanks again...... i just had a sour taste about stuff like that esp. when ALL of us purchase State Fishing licenses, report cards, stamps etc....
Very unfortunate to see that.... I think that's something we All need to look at with Clams/Mussels (Tan colored and Round, the size of our whole hand in diameter, found in the sand and not attached to the pier pillars :/) I mean by the HUNDREDS!!!! and this afternoon i went to the nearest Asian Supermarket to find the same clams/Mussels pretty expensive! >:I

DFG Please VISIT THE OUR PIERS!

SP Dan
10-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I carry the DFG number in my phone's contacts.

If in doubt in the future......make the call and inform the DFG official,
let him make the decision on how he wishes to react to your information. Well...that's my :My Two Cents:!

Thanx for sharing and "Happy Anniversary"! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bones
10-07-2012, 05:51 AM
I will concure with the previous responses. The snagging thing is perfectly legal from the pier. I observed a couple of corbina snaggers a few months ago on hermosa pier. I knew that in the past DFG had told me that it was legal but I called my DFG contact on his cell and confirmed that nothing has changed. SAD but TRUE!

Fish Dog
10-07-2012, 10:55 AM
As others have said the snagging is legal, unfortunately. Now, as far as the clams under the pier, that was probably legal, to a point. If they aren't on the pier then they'd have to have a license. By the size you describe they were probably legal size but sounds like they may have been over limit. (although I don't know what legal size and legal limit (number) are and I really don't want to look it up right now)

smokehound
10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Legal size is 4-1/2 inches.

Bag limit is 10.

Undersized clams must be returned to the hole they came from.

Those punks were definitely poaching!

Wingnut
10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Wingnut, but more than 3 hooks in the state of California is illegal right? or does that only count for California lakes?

The 3 hook regs is for freshwater only. For example, if you are using an umbrella type rig, you can have a maximum of 3 hooks on that rig. :Idea:
Multiple rods and hooks for saltwater is legal.

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
10-10-2012, 02:14 PM
The 3 hook regs is for freshwater only. For example, if you are using an umbrella type rig, you can have a maximum of 3 hooks on that rig. :Idea:
Multiple rods and hooks for saltwater is legal.

Yup. Remember that people use sabiki rigs to catch macks and sardines. That's how I remember that people can use more than 3 hooks for the salt.

flyhigh123
10-10-2012, 03:02 PM
i just made a setup with 30 hooks after reading this thread.....

:EyePop: