Chipper is my nemesis...
came up with Piazza

CL SmooV
10-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Man Smoov..

Braves fan?

Chipper is my nemesis...
came up with Piazza

Heck no Cutty-- I'm just a baseball fan. I was rootin' for the Cards! Im a Beltran fan.

Just a cold way for the guy the leave the game-- and yes the braves could of played better D to win their do or die game....

As for Piazza-- loved him with the blue crew-- he, mondesi, karros, nomo. In fact I stopped my dodger fanhood with they let MP go

cutbait
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I never forgave Larry Jones for bangin the stripper on his pregnant wife...

kinda classless...

But yeah, umps screwed it up..

Chipper was out in the 9th right?

CL SmooV
10-05-2012, 10:00 PM
I never forgave Larry Jones for bangin the stripper on his pregnant wife...

kinda classless...

But yeah, umps screwed it up..

Chipper was out in the 9th right?

He looked out to me.....

cutbait
10-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Damn smoov, too bad we don't live closer. Apparently every sport we share mutual interest.... fav teams differ it seems

Sounded like a Buffalo Wild wings trip with baseball playoffs and Sunday football.. Talk fishing etc..

Golf, Nascar, Hockey? I've only passive interest in Basketball, all dependant on Lake show

DarkShadow
10-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Wasn't a fan of the 'one game' format.

If Bud was gonna try this second wild card, at least give them a chance for a 3 game series, although that may have put the World Series start somewhere in December.

cutbait
10-09-2012, 04:01 PM
The dual wild card in september was great, however in the sudden death was left wanting.

2 of three would solve the abrupt end to the wild card problem, however as mentioned taking the season into november.

To solve that I say schedule 2 or 3 daynight double headers! Double headers are a big part of the history of the game and I personally enjoy them. Players moan, but piss on em with the money they make.

Or just knock a week outta spring training..

The dual wildcard and 2 outta 3 series works well for september and gives greater emphasis on division winners seeing how the wildcard teams have to tax their bully just to face a division winner

DEVOREFLYER
10-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Another vote for the double header. When I was coaching double headers were the norm, separated the men from the boys real quick. You could not hide weak pitching with double headers.

DarkShadow
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
You could not hide weak pitching with double headers.

I don't think it's 'weak' pitching that is exposed in double headers.

If your pitching is weak, it'll certainly be exposed in 2 games played over 3 days, and not necessarily just in a double header.

If you only have one great starting pitcher, what does it matter? It's not like he'll be able to pitch after 2 days rest anyhow to make a double header less favorable for that team.

If anything, all it will show is how conditioned or not conditioned your entire roster is.

DEVOREFLYER
10-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Yipper on conditioned and depth of your roster, no room to hide your weakness.

cutbait
10-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Weak pitching or not, we need more Double headers!

City Dad
10-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Wasn't a fan of the 'one game' format.

If Bud was gonna try this second wild card, at least give them a chance for a 3 game series, although that may have put the World Series start somewhere in December.

Trim the regular season back to 142 by eliminating inter-league. Play best of five series for second wild card. Play World Series in baseball weather.

Eliminating the DH would be cool too...

DEVOREFLYER
10-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Never did like the DH, some high schools even have it. Teach the damn pitcher how to bunt!!!!!!!

cutbait
10-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Trim the regular season back to 142 by eliminating inter-league. Play best of five series for second wild card. Play World Series in baseball weather.

I like, but would only add.... Elimante a handful of teams.

say your Royals, Mariners,,, not gonna get too much into certain teams but you get the drift. Like Scully says, by eliminating teams going back to pre expansion stuff your increasing the number of interdivision games against rivals, your raising the bar on talent levels and therefore so long to the roster fodder in a 30 team league.... I.e. Uribe, coffey, etc

What vinny says should be gospel

DEVOREFLYER
10-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Vinny is "THE GOSPEL".:Worship:

DarkShadow
10-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Cmon! You don't enjoy the 24 games we play with the Angels, in which we go an amazing 2-22?

And EVERYONE wants to see the Dodgers face the Indians!

Then what will Pujols be doing 2 years from now when he can no longer run because he's 42?

City Dad
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
I think what separates Vin and his generation of sportscasters from the rest is their respect for letting the game be the center of attention - not themselves. (My kid does a great impression of Steve Lyon talking about how smart he thinks Steve Lyon is.)

I think some umpires are also guilty of forgetting that it is the game - not them - that people are paying to see. I didn't see the Braves game - I heard there was a crappy infield fly call - which kinda sounds like an ump peacocking to me.

And I think that as long as the Yankees are in the American League, there will be a DH... but I'm kinda paranoid that way.

and oh, yeah, what about those AWESOME Mariner/Dodger series??? Gimme a friggin' break!

cutbait
10-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I think what separates Vin and his generation of sportscasters from the rest is their respect for letting the game be the center of attention - not themselves. (My kid does a great impression of Steve Lyon talking about how smart he thinks Steve Lyon is.)

I think some umpires are also guilty of forgetting that it is the game - not them - that people are paying to see. I didn't see the Braves game - I heard there was a crappy infield fly call - which kinda sounds like an ump peacocking to me.

And I think that as long as the Yankees are in the American League, there will be a DH... but I'm kinda paranoid that way.

and oh, yeah, what about those AWESOME Mariner/Dodger series??? Gimme a friggin' break!

Angel Hernandez

DarkShadow
10-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Angel Hernandez

It's hilarious how I only know 2 umpires by name.

Angel Hernandez

and

The Cowboy, Joe West.

Dude even has his own website. (http://www.cowboyjoewest.com/)

And apparently, Laz Diaz won't allow catchers to throw balls back to the pitcher after a switch of the ball. You need to "earn that privilege." Now THAT is a wee bit crazy.

Although I think the infield fly eff up was just another case of an umpire making a wrong call on what is technically a judgement call. Don't think that umpires like to get famous off of blown calls.

But man, that ball landed in right field. It was a pretty horrible 'judgement.'

DEVOREFLYER
10-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I did not see the game or the call but the infield fly rule is always questionable to those watching a game.

Any fair fly ball that could have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort is covered by the rule, regardless of where the ball is caught. The ball need not be caught by an infielder, nor must it be caught in the infield. For example, if an infielder retreats to the outfield in an effort to catch a fly ball with ordinary effort, the infield fly rule is invoked, even if an outfielder ultimately caught the ball, and even if no infielder attempted to make a play on the ball. Similarly, a fly ball within the infield that could have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, but is caught by an outfielder, would also be covered by the rule.
Ordinary effort given all circumstances must exist for the infield fly rule to be invoked. Thus, weather, wind, lighting, positioning of the defense, and the abilities of the players involved in the play must be taken into account.
Ordinary effort is the judgement issue always

DEVOREFLYER
10-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Your naming two umpires reminded me of the two umpires that I had the good fortune to become friends with, Joe Brinkman and John McSherry. Joe had an umpire school in the winter at the Little League Western Headquarters in San Bernardino. I was coaching an American Baseball Federation Big League team at the time and we practiced at the LL headquarters. Joe asked if we could schedule several intersquad games so his students could experience real time action and that they could be critiqued.

Over the years be became good friends and would often go out to dinner together after a game. I would always be sent two tickets to the Angels or Dodgers when they were in town umpiring. It was so funny to walk up to the infield fence before a game and give them a yell and they would walk over and we would talk for a few minutes. When I went back to my seat someone was always saying “wow I never met or knew anyone that knew or talked to an umpire before”.lol

Both were the best of the best. Joe was famous for the George Brett pine tar game that he was the crew chief of and unfortunately John died from a heart attack behind home plate in Cincinnati umpiring a Red’s game.

I still have a Joe Brinkman Umpire School sweat suit and souvenir pine tar bat from Joe.

And boy did they have stories that they told, really good stories about players and managers.