PDA

View Full Version : Can pearl/white rubber minijigs be dyed?

Ultralight
10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
I have some white/pearl minijigs that are out of production. I'd like to have some other colors. Is it possible to dye them? The rubber is not absorbant so I wonder how one would do it.

Thanks!

UL

Frequent Flyer
10-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Idk about dying them. Maybe break them up into groups and try different solutions, I know that if you stick them with other jigs they will absorb some of the color though

kaneo
10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
" spike it " will color them.. and scent them as well..

fishmounter
10-04-2012, 09:36 PM
You can color/mark them with permanent markers like sharpies. I've made pinks, reds, blacks and chartreuse, but the colors tend to bleed somewhat. Put some red dots or marks on your pearl white jigs would really add some fish appeal to them.

smokehound
10-04-2012, 10:29 PM
That's what I use, red sharpie on a plain white grub. That slays em!

I dunno why, but a little red blotch on white drives the bass nuts!

Ultralight
10-05-2012, 07:56 AM
What a great forum - ask a question and get some great answers.

The Sharpies seem like a quick and easy way to add spots. However, I've always been concerned about the chemical smell of the sharpies that linger on. I always thought they may act as a repellent for trout. Anyone find that?

I'll have to check into SPIKEIT.

Thanks,
UL

That's what I use, red sharpie on a plain white grub. That slays em!

I dunno why, but a little red blotch on white drives the bass nuts!

fishmounter
10-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Ultralight... I've had trout hit lures and bait that had gasoline from my hands on them. Also, I tried the old WD40 trick of putting that on floating bait as an attractant, and the trout still ate the bait. (but it was not any better than regular bait, so please don't use WD40 in our lakes.) So I don't think the smell of the marking pens will repel stocked trout much. Now bass, that's a different story.

smokehound
10-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Alot of scents we find to be harsh dont bother other animals.

Take chili-peppers, for an example. Only mammals are affected by capscaicin, the chemical in chili peppers that causes the burning feeling and perspiration.

Hot sauce (actual hot-sauce) is actually a good ingredient in carp baits! The Pleco that's outgrowing its tank in my backyard loves fresh green boiled jalapenos.

Fish dont seem to mind the powerful skunky aroma, combined with sunscreen, and tobacco that I exude in large quantities..

Here in North OC, parrots are well-known for raiding people's pepper gardens.