PDA

View Full Version : Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner - 6'2 SL vs 6'8 UL for fly+bubble trout fishing?

CJO395
09-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi everyone. I was hoping someone can help me decide between these two rods. Both are 2 piece rods - one is 6'2 and is rated "super light", which is apparently lighter than ultralight. It has a Medium-fast action tip, rated for lines 1-4 lbs. It handles lures from 1/32 to 1/8 oz. The other is a 6'8 ultralight. It has a fast action tip, rated for lines 2-6 lbs. It handles lures from 1/32 to 3/16 oz.

I fish with flies mostly. I would think a fast action tip would be more useful than a med-fast action, although I would still fish with lures and bait from time to time. Med-fast might be a little more versatile, although I've had problems with setting the hook on medium-fast rods in the past. I don't really like really long fishing rods, so the 6'2 length seems a little better, and the fact that it's probably more sensitive is a plus as well. Although, the 6'8 would help get the fly out there a little further, which can sometimes make all the difference.

Can anyone offer me some advice? Thanks

CraigH
10-01-2012, 02:23 PM
I have the 6'8 rod (ERR68UL) and use it mostly for 1/32 or 1/16 mini-jigs. I also use it for small kastmasters and roostertails, and it's really good at casting a nightcrawler with no weight. I always use two pound izorline with this rod. When you say you are fishing with flies, I'm assuming you're using a clear plastic bubble? If so, it seems to me that the UL would work real good. I've never used the 6'2 super light so I can't help with any advice about that rod, but I will say the Elite Tech River Runners are great rods.

CJO395
10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
I have the 6'8 rod (ERR68UL) and use it mostly for 1/32 or 1/16 mini-jigs. I also use it for small kastmasters and roostertails, and it's really good at casting a nightcrawler with no weight. I always use two pound izorline with this rod. When you say you are fishing with flies, I'm assuming you're using a clear plastic bubble? If so, it seems to me that the UL would work real good. I've never used the 6'2 super light so I can't help with any advice about that rod, but I will say the Elite Tech River Runners are great rods.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, clear plastic bubble. I'm going to upgrade to those adjust-a-bubbles, though. The kind with the surgical tubing inside.

Can I ask you for a favor? Can you measure the length of the longest section of the rod? On my rod, both sections are the same exact length, but I don't know if it's the same way on the 6'8. I just want to make sure it would fit in my custom made rod tube case.

Thanks

CraigH
10-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Bottom section is 41 3/8", top section is 41 1/8".

CJO395
10-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Bottom section is 41 3/8", top section is 41 1/8".

Great, thanks for your help.

bchbum54
10-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Bobber fishing flies, my favorite way of fishing streams

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1/bchbum54/9ac7a23bc3e1418f89e22985ca592824.jpg

Adjust-a-bubble is the best way to go