PDA

View Full Version : Lobster season begins. Observed in Dana Point

JL
09-29-2012, 07:03 AM
I guess i wasn't up to speed on the opening of Lobster season. My attention has been on the Dorado and tuna in local waters. Jean and I were heading out from Dana Point Friday and got to observe both Commercial and hoop lobster fisherman prepare for the opening. For the hoopers they could begin pulling nets at midnight friday night. For the commercial lobster fishermen, they could set their traps but could not bait the traps until tuesday and could not pull until Wednesday.

We saw 3 - 4 hoopers heading out to set and grab their spots as early as 3 pm. Interesting to talk with each boat and hear about their favorite lobster bait or their method of choosing the best location.

On the dock and in the parking lot we saw about 500 - 800 commercial lobster cages stacked up for distribution.
We saw 4 Lobster boats loaded with cages heading to drop out side the harbor.

ON our return from fishing at 3 --- We had to weave our way back into the harbor because of the hundreds of buoy's and ropes floating along the pipe and various sections of underwater rocky areas.

We hope all hoopers and commercial lobster fisherman have a great season.
We have heard that this could be a very good year and that there are tons of spiny lobster off of the So California coast.

So I guess i should say here......... I wish for you all Heavy hoops, full cages and as always, God Bless.

kwest10
10-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I was out there. More people than usual. Every hoop had bugs in it. 9 in one. A lot of rock crab too...one legal bug and crab was my night.

LGHT
10-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I was offshore this year. I've been hooping for 10+ years and it's a jungle in DP now and days. Used to hoop the opener and we knew the 5-6 boats out with us. We could get a boat limit in 2 strings and be done in time to put fresh bugs on the table.

On the dock and in the parking lot we saw about 500 - 800 commercial lobster cages stacked up for distribution.
We saw 4 Lobster boats loaded with cages heading to drop out side the harbor.

This is the problem with hooping now and days. The DFG's only answer was to make the hobbyist purchase BS cards for "research" to the tune of $700-$800k a year instead of simply restricting the commercial guys. It's a pretty pathetic site to stand on the jetty in DP and have to look at 1000+ lobster buoys floating around.

Geraldlim
11-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Those "BS" lobster report cards may be used against sport fishing in the future.
I just read a report that stated that recreational catch had been thought to be a negligible part of the total catch, but now estimated to be "30-60% of the commercial landings".
http://www.smbrc.ca.gov/about_us/agendas/2012oct/item3d.pdf

I'm glad someone is getting some lobsters. This season I have struggled freediving for them.