PDA

View Full Version : Orangemouth corvina; salton sea

ityperx
09-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Has anyone else noticed that on dfg site, they still have corvina listed under their bag limit regulation for salton sea. I thought that fish died out long before the 90s. From what I've noticed since my last fishing trip there, there was only one type of species living in that condition. The Tilapia. I haven't caught anything else there besides that fish, or is it a seasonal thing out there? I went between the months of Feb-March. Summer time is killer out there so I didn't bother. No Croakers, no Sargo, and especially no Corvina.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/ccr-t14-ch2-art4-sec5_20-5_51.html

There's no other place to catch these beautiful fish, correct? I mean their basically surf type fish but I don't often hear reports of one being caught.

DarkShadow
09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Has anyone else noticed that on dfg site, they still have corvina listed under their bag limit regulation for salton sea. I thought that fish died out long before the 90s. From what I've noticed since my last fishing trip there, there was only one type of species living in that condition. The Tilapia. I haven't caught anything else there besides that fish, or is it a seasonal thing out there? I went between the months of Feb-March. Summer time is killer out there so I didn't bother. No Croakers, no Sargo, and especially no Corvina.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/ccr-t14-ch2-art4-sec5_20-5_51.html

There's no other place to catch these beautiful fish, correct? I mean their basically surf type fish but I don't often hear reports of one being caught.

Yeah, perhaps the DFG is a wee bit under staffed when it comes to having actual research data and some inconsistencies may or may not exist on their website.

Oh, and the Over/Under for a DockRat appearance on this post has been set to 3.5 posts, +250 for the under. Call your bookies now.

Viejo
09-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Covina are being caught up and down the coast by fly fishermen quite regularly. They are still very shy and difficult to hook up but they are being caught and released right here in SoCal.

ityperx
09-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Woah hold on there, I know there under staffed, I'm not hear to start an argument. It was just my observation. It's been 20 years since the last sighting of those species.

You make it seem like I'm not allowed to present a source to what I've wrote.

ityperx
09-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Covina are being caught up and down the coast by fly fishermen quite regularly. They are still very shy and difficult to hook up but they are being caught and released right here in SoCal.

Now this is information is new to me. I've seen reports of corbina being caught just hardly any corvina. Thanks for sharing that Viejo.

DarkShadow
09-28-2012, 03:12 PM

No no, not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact, I applaud anglers who question the validity of sources instead of automatically assuming it's a fact because the website it came from ends in .gov.

ityperx
09-28-2012, 05:31 PM
No no, not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact, I applaud anglers who question the validity of sources instead of automatically assuming it's a fact because the website it came from ends in .gov.

Oh, yeah it was something I noticed while researching on the species. BTW, I've been trying to find more infos on the fish but there' isn't enough data out there. I've been trying to knock them off my bucket list for awhile now. Any help would be grateful, such as the right season or just start me off on the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I wasn't too sure where to place the thread. Mod's thanks for moving it.

DockRat
09-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Call your bookies now.

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh360/irishmark909/july2008045.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg144/DKaidian/humor/doraavisitto.jpg
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/PaleDuke/deadhorse1.gifDR

DockRat
09-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Corvina at 6:35 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0ujf54gmo&feature=related

fish4keep
09-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Now this is information is new to me. I've seen reports of corbina being caught just hardly any corvina. Thanks for sharing that Viejo.
Two totally different fish. CorBina is caught regularly (harder for some) in our surf. CorVina is caught in SD county. That will be your best chance locally at getting one.

ityperx
09-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice catches you got there DR. Were they easy to catch back then? Apparently the fishery was great during that time. Wished I had that opportunity, missed out on it when I was younger. Had many chances when I went with my uncles.

Fish Dog
09-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Corvina are caught in SD bay pretty regularly.

As for the Salton Sea the OP is right (at least he's probably 99.99% right) that they died out there like 20 years ago. I'm thinking that they left the regs on the books for corvina in the Salton Sea in the very unlikely event (that .01%) that someone might accidentally catch one somehow. In all likelihood there are no corvina in the Salton Sea but its a big place and who know what's under the surface. I know, back in the day, when they were first trying to find fish to stock in the sea they tried stocking totuava (sometimes spelled totoaba) and deemed that a failure. However there were stories of people fishing for corvina and hooking into something that would spool them. No one ever landed one, or even saw one, but apparently there was some big freight trains in there occasionally spooling people. I'm thinking that F&G's thinking on this is it costs nothing to leave the regs on the books just in case.

BTW - for those that don't know here's a picture of some tortuava from the Gulf of California, looks like maybe in the 1930's...

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/files/totuava_1925_1b_115.jpg

...and another from around 1953 at San Felipe...

http://baja.com/san-felipe/files/2012/08/Totuava.jpg

ityperx
09-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Two totally different fish. CorBina is caught regularly (harder for some) in our surf. CorVina is caught in SD county. That will be your best chance locally at getting one.

Yeah I've caught one by accident a corbina I mean(which doesn't necessarily knock it off my bucket list, just never a corvina. SD county only, none in any LA/OC area? I'll have to look into that and do more research. Thanks for the heads up fish4keep.

ityperx
09-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks for sharing Fish Dog, Love history especially history of marine life. Those are truly some giants.

I'm thinking that they left the regs on the books for corvina in the Salton Sea in the very unlikely event (that .01%) that someone might accidentally catch one somehow. In all likelihood there are no corvina in the Salton Sea but its a big place and who know what's under the surface.

You might be on to something there about the status of the regulation. Anywho thanks again. I might have to try and tube the bay one day.

Fish Dog
09-28-2012, 10:27 PM
If you think about it its happened before. The coelacanth was considered extinct for millions of years until one was caught in 1938. You just never know I guess.

ityperx
09-28-2012, 10:29 PM
If you think about it its happened before. The coelacanth was considered extinct for millions of years until one was caught in 1938. You just never know I guess.

Hmm, that's right. Not just in 1938, but recently as far back as 10 years ago I think. Off the coast of Africa if memory serves me well.

EDIT: I was dead wrong, Last known capture was in 07 in indonesia.

DockRat
09-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Nice catches you got there DR. Were they easy to catch back then? Apparently the fishery was great during that time. Wished I had that opportunity, missed out on it when I was younger. Had many chances when I went with my uncles.

I never fished the sea. Photobucket pics I jacked. Lived in Brawley for 3 1/2 years and worked 1/4 mile from the Sea. The Salton Sea is nasty and smells. Being fed by the most polluted river in N America the New River. Don't know why anyone would eat those toxic Tilapia even with the Gov saying you can eat so many ounces a week.:LOL:

2 to 3 min, must see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlGBLN2jMuw&feature=related DR

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/sparkers70/dead_horse.jpg

stocker
09-29-2012, 01:50 PM
My fishing partner used to go down to Salton on a regular basis. The last time that he locked into Corvina was 2002. The Sea at one point was once considered America's greatest fishery. Trust me, if I were a billionaire I would be doing some resurrecting.

Jig-Guy
09-30-2012, 02:28 PM
The fish (orange mouth corvina)that were planted in the salton sea came from the gulf of California Mexico. If you go down to San Filipe Mexico and fish you can still catch these great eating fish. 25 years ago my last covina vacation to the southern end of the salton sea Red Hill Island state park now Dec. 1987 was a blast. We caught and ate all the orange mouth covina we wanted. While hunting ducks along the shore line of the sea we we surprised to find so many 25 to 50 pound corvina fish dead on the beach! What killed them I do not know be I saw this with my own eyes. The cobina off the LA coast are not the same fish. The contaminated rivers that dump into the Salton Sea are the Alamo River & New river from Mexico. I do not think there is any hope for the once great fishing Salton Sea.
JG

bruce watson
10-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Those are California Corbina

Jig-Guy
10-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Wrong! A California Corbina does not get up to 9 pounds.Go to MEXFISH.com and check out Orangemouth Corvina in the Gulf of California and the Salton Sea. Orangemouth Corvina can grow up to 4 feet long and 50 pounds. I have seen orangemouth corvina up to 50 pounds. I started my adventures at the Salton Sea in 1953 when the sea was full of mullet. Then came the orangemouth corvina and the other smaller croakers. The last new guy was the tilapia and I have caught them up to over 2 pounds,(got pictures). I have caught california corbina surf fishing and they are not the same fish. I have also caught lots of Orangemouth corvina at the Salton Sea.

Those are California Corbina

drifter023
10-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Did you go this last Feburary and March? If so did you catch tilapia then I have only fished them in early summer.

vortec_cruiser
10-01-2012, 07:11 PM

Those are corbina that are caught along the surf, not corvina, which are an entirely different fish.

Jig-Guy
10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Hi driftero23, I have not fished the Salton Sea since 12/31/1987. I was there for a week Fishing and hunting ducks. Our fishing lic. expired and we went home to watch football 1/1/1988. The Salton Sea died after that except for the tilapia, how sad. The week we were there we caught lots of 18" to 30" orangemouth covina and ate them all. What the Salton Sea offers now I do not know. With the contamination from the Alamo River & New River and no freash rain water I think the Salton Sea is not a good place to catch fish and eat them. The tilapia we caught were about 1 to 3 pounds at this time. Gray bodies and red fins, cool looking fish. I am an old 71 year old guy that was there when I was 12 and did my thing. I do know what went on at the south end of the Salton Sea, Red Hill Marina, Niland & Mullet Island (even the hog pen). Man I wished the Salton Sea was not messed up since I would love to go back there and fish as we did in the 80's.

Did you go this last Feburary and March? If so did you catch tilapia then I have only fished them in early summer.

Jig-Guy
10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
X2 vortec_cruiser, you are correct. Most of the posters here have never been to the Salton Sea and caught any fish.

Those are corbina that are caught along the surf, not corvina, which are an entirely different fish.

drifter023
10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
We also hunted ducks out of red hill would sleep on the dike and set out with the 12ft. tinney there was blinds setup on stilts made out out plywood and 2x4's would pull boat in and cover with brush.
Was so much fun shot lots of ducks loved the teal but learned to not shoot spoonies taste like:Potty:well you know. I still do go out of the state park in early summer in the boat there and still get those big red finned tilapia's might try there when the weather cools the end of October just to check it out.
Also spend many weekends hunting wester when the hunting for ducks was good at the ponds on hazard units. Really miss those days.

Jig-Guy
10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
WOW! not to many folks got to do what we got to do at the Salton Sea. Hunting, fishing and just having a good time. Were you able to walk on the wood paths out to the mud pots? When I was a kid we could walk out to the mud pots and watch them bubble. My dad shot a big drake mallard right off the old road to Mullet Island in our old 12 foot skiff with a 5 hp rope start seawitch outboard. JC Higgins Double Barrell 12 ga worked great. I was on Mullet island when the Hells Kitchen, Dance Hall and all the other buildings were still there. The old beds and pot belly stoves were still there. My brother and I shot Ruddy ducks out of an old Model A Ford Pickup half under water out in front of the dance hall on the old underwater road. I do not know who stripped the island but nothing is left. I do have pictures of my last vacation that was was a great outing catching those orangemouth corvina and big tilapia.
I talk too much, but I did do it!
Bill

We also hunted ducks out of red hill would sleep on the dike and set out with the 12ft. tinney there was blinds setup on stilts made out out plywood and 2x4's would pull boat in and cover with brush.
Was so much fun shot lots of ducks loved the teal but learned to not shoot spoonies taste like:Potty:well you know. I still do go out of the state park in early summer in the boat there and still get those big red finned tilapia's might try there when the weather cools the end of October just to check it out.
Also spend many weekends hunting wester when the hunting for ducks was good at the ponds on hazard units. Really miss those days.

pwynn
10-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Woah hold on there, I know there under staffed, I'm not hear to start an argument. It was just my observation. It's been 20 years since the last sighting of those species.

The last report I have on my website was 8/19/03. So not even 10 years ago.
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/salton-sea-fishing/

Jig-Guy
10-02-2012, 12:43 PM
pwynn thanks for this information. That was an interesting read.

The last report I have on my website was 8/19/03. So not even 10 years ago.
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/salton-sea-fishing/

DynoDan
10-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Ya I had a friend that would go out to the SS and catch corvina or corbina every year till about 2003.

Viejo
10-02-2012, 10:41 PM
What a pathetic thing to read. People trying to hang on to what they used to know and the evidence of the sea's death is staring them in the face. The Salton Sea was dead already in 2003 and has only gone downhill from there. It is a toxic waste dump for both man made and natural toxins that will never get better....only worse. Saying that fish taken from the Sea are edible is like saying the East Fork of the San Gabriel river is a pristine wilderness area.

Jig-Guy
10-02-2012, 11:32 PM
You are correct! At least we are talking about fun times that can not be removed from our minds in happy times. The Salton Sea is dead and I would never eat any fishies out of her. It is fun to remember the good old days since I am not sure we have any good old days ahead of us.
Pathetic Read! Past fun stuff is not pathetic! We could talk about politics:Confused:.
tl
jg

What a pathetic thing to read. People trying to hang on to what they used to know and the evidence of the sea's death is staring them in the face. The Salton Sea was dead already in 2003 and has only gone downhill from there. It is a toxic waste dump for both man made and natural toxins that will never get better....only worse. Saying that fish taken from the Sea are edible is like saying the East Fork of the San Gabriel river is a pristine wilderness area.