PDA

View Full Version : Newport in July

Withabow
09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Hi All,

I do mostly big game hunting in the Rocky Mountains, but am coming to SoCal (Newport) for a family reunion at the end of July next year and am trying to talk a bunch of my wife's cheap relatives into booking a day of deep sea fishing. I would love to do a full day or two but probably won't be able to get them to go for more than about a 3/4 day for around a hundred bucks each. I've been to Cabo and Mazatlan for spring marlin/sailfish, and I know that's not an option. What's biting at the end of July and is it worth a trip out or are we too early in the year? Any charter services you would recommend (or avoid)? Thanks in advance for your advice!

JL
09-27-2012, 07:46 PM
There are a number of charter and party boat companies in So California. Go on line / they all have internet sights. Davy's locker is the most well known out of newport harbor. The book large party boats open to the general public and also do private charters for smaller loads. Interesting you ask about what might be available to catch. This year ( first time in nearly 4 - 5 years) WE HAVE VERY warm waters and are fishing for Dorado, Yellowfin and soon maybe Bluefin and albacore. Bass fishing has been slow since the water heated up to 70 plus. If next year we go back to cooler water your charter could head to Catalina lsland for Calico bass, maybe white sea bass if they hang out as they did this year. Sometimes if all is just right there will be marlin near Catalina...... but that kind of trolling all day is usually not a good bet for family groups. If you group has kids on board i would look for a 3/4 local where the kids could all catch something.
Hope this helps. Tight Lines and God Bless.