PDA

View Full Version : Special thanks SKC2

ben0606
09-25-2012, 09:20 AM
I'd like to thank Barry for putting on a great charity event as well as including myself as a volunteer.
I had a great time and look forward to next years event.

I'd also like to thank the following gentlemen for sponsoring a Wounded warrior, combat vet, and active duty Marines in that they unselfishly opened up their boat, gear, and knowledge to the Marines for the tournament.

Marc (aka Big Daddy) Team 57
Mike (still serving in military) combat vet
Bob (aka Trout Only) (also noted as the only fishing guide to take out some of our Marines) expert
Vern (DVL Regular)
Vince (gdhkset from FNN) Regular retired navy

We also had 2 rental pontoons in which we couldn't have done without their captains and deckhands.

Captain 1 Dan Morenga
Deck hand Bruce Watson

Captain 2 David Weller
Deck hand Ian Keller

Bruce was a life saver in that out of 6 of us who went to the coast to get fresh bait, he was the only one who successfully did so along with pontoon number 2.

All the Marines had a blast and were very appreciative to get a day on the water with some fine gentlemen like yourselves. The prize raffles was incredible, all Marines who didn't have to leave walked away with a nice raffle prize and some with multiple prizes.

For those that don't know, I was combat vet myself along with my dad, brother and grandfather. Ive lost many friends, got blown up by an IED, had my jugular and jugular vein ripped into, and dealt with my own demons to this day. Stubborn all the way, refuse therapy ( except when my wife made me or shed leave me) I don't like dealing with doctors and their crap but one thing that makes me happy ( besides my wife and kids) is being on the water. Fishing is my therapy, my life line, my go to. I was fortunate enough to take my Dad to dvl last may and to share with him that he's never been on a bass boat, gave up bass fishing when I was a kid so I could catch bluegill, and to see his face light up when he caught bass that day was priceless. It was nice that I got to put him on fish after all those years of doing so for me. My father, a Vietnam combat vet, and 23 years of active duty service, and the man who taught me how to fish, passed away 2 months later.

This was a great event to raise money for charity and also take out someone who has sacrificed they life to fight for our freedom. While we fish, our military fights on the front lines. From one purple heart veteran to all, it was an honor to have all of you take part in a great day like this one. I look forward to giving back just as those who gave back to me when I came home.

Again thank you to all of the above, we couldn't have done it without you. Ok we Marines can make it happen but 21 Marines on my 17 ft wouldn't have been nice.

By the way I did catch my 25lber at 8 am, I threw him back hoping a Marine would catch him and win.

Til next time, don't forget to thank a vet and thank those who truly support our military.

Semper Fi,
Ben
Staff Sergeant
USMC

Big Daddy
09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
I'd like to thank Barry for putting on a great charity event as well as including myself as a volunteer.
I had a great time and look forward to next years event.

I'd also like to thank the following gentlemen for sponsoring a Wounded warrior, combat vet, and active duty Marines in that they unselfishly opened up their boat, gear, and knowledge to the Marines for the tournament.

Marc (aka Big Daddy) Team 57
Mike (still serving in military) combat vet
Bob (aka Trout Only) (also noted as the only fishing guide to take out some of our Marines) expert
Vern (DVL Regular)
Vince (gdhkset from FNN) Regular retired navy

We also had 2 rental pontoons in which we couldn't have done without their captains and deckhands.

Captain 1 Dan Morenga
Deck hand Bruce Watson

Captain 2 David Weller
Deck hand Ian Keller

Bruce was a life saver in that out of 6 of us who went to the coast to get fresh bait, he was the only one who successfully did so along with pontoon number 2.

All the Marines had a blast and were very appreciative to get a day on the water with some fine gentlemen like yourselves. The prize raffles was incredible, all Marines who didn't have to leave walked away with a nice raffle prize and some with multiple prizes.

For those that don't know, I was combat vet myself along with my dad, brother and grandfather. Ive lost many friends, got blown up by an IED, had my jugular and jugular vein ripped into, and dealt with my own demons to this day. Stubborn all the way, refuse therapy ( except when my wife made me or shed leave me) I don't like dealing with doctors and their crap but one thing that makes me happy ( besides my wife and kids) is being on the water. Fishing is my therapy, my life line, my go to. I was fortunate enough to take my Dad to dvl last may and to share with him that he's never been on a bass boat, gave up bass fishing when I was a kid so I could catch bluegill, and to see his face light up when he caught bass that day was priceless. It was nice that I got to put him on fish after all those years of doing so for me. My father, a Vietnam combat vet, and 23 years of active duty service, and the man who taught me how to fish, passed away 2 months later.

This was a great event to raise money for charity and also take out someone who has sacrificed they life to fight for our freedom. While we fish, our military fights on the front lines. From one purple heart veteran to all, it was an honor to have all of you take part in a great day like this one. I look forward to giving back just as those who gave back to me when I came home.

Again thank you to all of the above, we couldn't have done it without you. Ok we Marines can make it happen but 21 Marines on my 17 ft wouldn't have been nice.

By the way I did catch my 25lber at 8 am, I threw him back hoping a Marine would catch him and win.

Til next time, don't forget to thank a vet and thank those who truly support our military.

Semper Fi,
Ben
Staff Sergeant
USMC

Ben, I Thank You for all that you did for this event also You are Truly a Hero and a Gentlemen I want to thank you for allowing me to be a small part and after seeing you give all of the raffle prizes away including one to me I know that you are really a special person. I also want to thank your wife and you children for the sacrifice that all of you have made and continue to do to make someone's day just a little better. I hope when I grow up I can be just like you my friend.

P.S. I really wouldn't doubt that you would turn a big fish back if you thought one of the Marines would catch it. Good stuff Brother.

Thanks to all of You,

BD "Team 57"

Mark

Surfnsnowboard3
09-26-2012, 06:38 PM
You're a stud Ben. God bless. We got to get together again soon. I've been killing the cats at Corona....and almost trout season.