PDA

View Full Version : A UNBELIEVABLE night of fishing! 9-21-12

Angels91
09-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Earlier in the week my brother and I were texting and I was telling him how much I wanted to rip some kittys out of the water because the last time I had car problems and broke down the exit before the lake :Crying: Since I was working in the Fullerton area on Friday I was already half way there, so we decided that we should go. The last time my bro and mom went was the last chance qualifier and they rented a pontoon and my mom loved it compared to the little tin boats.

I get off work a hour early thinking to myself YAY MORE TIME TO FISH! I hop in the car and drive down to the freeway.. its a little congested on the 57 so i was starting to get a little discouraged thinking its going to take me FOREVER to get to the lake... but it finally opened up and i was off! :Big Grin: Got to the lake around 7 or so and meet up with my mom and brother. They were telling me that the fish weren't cooperating and they haven't even gotten a single bite! But that didnt discourage me because this trip is already going better then the last, I actually made it to the lake! lol. We have a quick bite to eat and then getting antsy I suggest we start heading out. So we do.

We first give the entrance of the flats a try and were there for quite some time with only a few bites not very much action. But it seemed like the boat in front of us was killing them! So I thought this probably isn’t a good spot maybe we should move and I suggested this to Kevin and he agreed. We went to our normal spot that has been our honey hole but had no action for a little while. It’s getting kind of late, discouragement and frustration was starting to get the best of me, then all of a sudden I look over at Kevin and he has his rod and is cranking away saying that he has a fish. I grab his new shiny net and net the fish, (of course he had to be the one to break it in) and once in the net I was able to see the size of it and it was a great cat 5.3 lbs. HIS BIGGEST CAT YET!! Once he lands this bad boy I get both excited and a little frustrated, I still haven’t seen much action, so I decide it’s time to double my chances by changing my other rod with a different hook.

After that my mom gets one and it doesn’t seem like it’s a small one either, she fights it for a little while and then pulls one up almost the size of Kevin's! Just a little smaller at 5.1 lbs. Now i get even more eager to get a fish because it seemed like they were starting to bite. So now that i have doubled my chances I have high hopes and sat back and waited then FINALLY i get a fish on! Start cranking away as I begin to get happy and I land the fish and it was a dinky little stocker, but hey it was still a fish! Now that the skunk was gone I started to feel a little better and that the bite was on!

I throw one of my lines out and just let it sit and decide to move to the other side of the boat where my brother caught his five lbr. So I cast out and wait but not much is happening... I decide oh well I'm going to head back in to my side where at least I got something, and while i started to get in the boat my mom and Kevin were standing by the back and trying to see if one of their rods has a fish on it. While they are trying to figure it out some sneaky fish bites on to my mother’s rod that both Kevin and I got her for mother’s day and takes it into the water!!!! We were speechless.... (a moment of silence) and then my mom tried to comfort me and Kevin saying that its ok but it didn’t help much. With sorrow in our hearts we continued to fish.

I moved back to the front of the boat and got another dinky little stocker and re-baited and casted out and was right about to walk over the gate when i noticed on of my polls got hit so I hopped back over and watched it standing close by. It got hit again but this time HARD and almost took another rod in but I put my hand right over it so the reel seat jumped right into my hand and started cranking away! I could tell by the fight of this one it was pretty big. I’m reeling and reeling and then finally get it to the boat. Kevin nets it and drops it on the boat and all I hear is a THUD. I finally got my nice size fish in the boat beating both my mom and brother 6.2 lbs!! I spend a couple of minutes trying to get this hook out of its mouth in the dark and things aren’t working out so well... then I finally get it and put it by the back of the boat. As i put fresh bait on that rod and cast out my other poll gets hit... but I miss. I reel in and see my bait was chomped on a little bit but not too bad so I said ah screw it and threw it back out there, it was sitting for a little bit and again another non-committing bite... starting to get frustrated I reel in to see my bait is now basically just skin so i knew it was time for new bait.

Put new bait on the hook and thought you know what I’m going to hold onto this since they seem to be biting pretty quickly. I cast out and just shortly BAM a tug on the line and since I had the rod in my hands this guy wasn't going anywhere! I start cranking away and man I've never fought a kitty like this! I start reeling and it tugs back and I crank some more just slowly making progress. I knew this one was pretty big! It starts getting towards the boat after a little while of fighting and starts splashing the surface but once it hit the top my drag just screamed as it went diving back down. Back and forth we go for a little while. Kevin was crouched ready to pounce with the net. He was telling me he doesn’t see it and I was like ITS RIGHT THERE! Down it goes again. I finally got it to give in and get in the net, and my god was this a nice cat. (Not a 20ib or anything... but still) I just hear Kevin saying OH MY GOD! I was like what?! What?! And then THUUD!!! He drops the cat on the boat and was like mom you have to see this and she was like what? THUUD. My biggest cat yet!!! 8.1 lbs!!

Its starts to get late and patrol boat begins to come around saying we have ten minutes. Still torn about my mother’s rod we continue to fish. I catch one more little dink and bring it up and throw it to the back when all of a sudden I notice my mom has her poll in her hand and is reeling it, I think she has a fish! She starts cranking and then gets it out of the water but no fish.... BUT......... there is a green braided line that’s on her hook. We look around and there is no one around us that she could have gotten tangled with my mother. Both Kevin and I were praying that this was her line! Kevin starts to pull it slowly trying not to break it and I undo the anchors so the boat can move with the line. He pulls more and more and continues to say please don’t break.... please don’t break..... and then after some time something comes up! IT’S A FISHING POLL!!!!!!!! It was covered in weeds so we pull all of them off and by some force greater than us, IT WAS MY MOTHERS POLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We got it back, on the very last rod being reeled in!

After that it was time to head in, the patrol boat made its rounds again and we told him what we were doing and he just left. As my brother was pulling on the line he could still feel the fish tugging so he thought he’d try and hand pull the fish in. He was pulling and pulling and then once it seemed like it was closer to the boat the fish was gone. Seeing that poll lifted both my brother and I’s spirits and it made the night UNBELIEVABLE and definitely one for the history books. All in all we left with 35+ lbs of fish and a recovered fishing rod! This is a night that I will remember forever

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh614/fishfnatic1/IMAG0031_zpsff2ee95d.jpg

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh614/fishfnatic1/IMAG00341_zpse61b35f9.jpg

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh614/fishfnatic1/IMAG0035_zps00fd90af.jpg

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh614/fishfnatic1/IMAG0038_zpsc9a062fc.jpg

fishfnatic
09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks for doing this Patrick. Saved me some time >:)

Also, Thanks Jimmy for the empty beer case/bait cooler/fish transporter. It made it very easy to take the cats home. I appreciate it!

5150fishn
09-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Wow! What an epic night at the Vine. That is one amazing trip. Glad you all got on the kitties. That is bad *** that you got the rod back. Thanks for the report and pics.

fishinarteest
09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
ok i gotta go there this friday night.

TaperSteve
09-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Atta way to go boys! Suprised we didn't see y'all out there.... Thanks for posting a report!

TS

Hometown
09-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Nice job slaying the kitties and recovering the rod.I was out there as well but had a ruff night of fishing but thats ok cant get them all the time.

Bebop
09-24-2012, 06:53 PM
That is so cool to be able to fish with your Mom or any family member. Good catches for both of you on the kitty slaying.

DynoDan
09-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Good job yo!

troutdog
09-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Great post, congrats on getting Mom's pole back and the fats cats!

TD

Big Daddy
09-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Patrick that was a great report nice job you guy's have been doing on the kitties. Your mom looks so happy great job boy's.

VineVideos
09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Wow!! What a trip and great job of relating it to all of us. It's always good to see the regular "Viners" (and Team 57.... right?) having such a great trip and do such a fine job of reporting. I remember you folks from the video I produced a few weeks ago. Way to go !! And thanks much for the fantastic report and photos !! And good for you Mom !!

I will be fishing and filming this Thursday night and maybe Friday night as well. Hope to see you there !!

Danny J.

Rooster
09-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Great report and pics. Thats one hell of a night. Props :Thumbs Up:

FKNChristopH
09-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Very nice outing with the fam indeed! Good stuff on getting your pole back.

*shakkaaaaa*

Psych22
09-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Nice report and pics, WTG out there.

VineAssist
09-27-2012, 02:12 PM
No problem buddy on the empty beer case! You would be amazed at how many times I have had to do the very same thing. You would think someone who works in the fishing industry would remeber to bring everything they need on a FISHING TRIP! I did the same thing when I came back on a trip from San Diego! Used like five beer cases! The officer at the gas station gave me the strangest look when he saw all those beer cases.