PDA

View Full Version : big cats in the Greg?

Tubbytuba
09-22-2012, 06:59 PM
we have all probably caught a truck full of the bullheads there, but are there any confirmed reports of big cats out at the greg? ive caught 5 pounders or bigger in pretty much every lake but gregory, wanted to check that off my list. i guess it's totally possible, any place with substantial permanent water is absolutely worth hitting with a fat chunk of mack and a circle hook :Big Grin: if i find any i'll CPR them, so yall can catch one. tight lines folks

Yourlamo
09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
we have all probably caught a truck full of the bullheads there, but are there any confirmed reports of big cats out at the greg? ive caught 5 pounders or bigger in pretty much every lake but gregory, wanted to check that off my list. i guess it's totally possible, any place with substantial permanent water is absolutely worth hitting with a fat chunk of mack and a circle hook :Big Grin: if i find any i'll CPR them, so yall can catch one. tight lines folks

I got skunked at lake Greg this week, I tryed every thing I had !! And still no luck. Don't think ill go back to lake Greg. So far I've caught a 7 lb cat in glen Helen . I Might have to go to lake silverwood for that monster cat! ;)

Tubbytuba
09-22-2012, 07:43 PM
silverwood's got some monsters. if you dont get bit with a two hour soak i suggest you move a ways and try another spot, my 2 cents on the wood

The Fishing Queen
09-23-2012, 08:40 AM
There are no big catfish in the Greg. Just the bullheads. I fished with night crawlers dipped in garlic oil, I caught 13 bullheads between 8-17 inches in 4.5 hours at the cove, all released. I've never seen or caught any big cats in that lake.

Natural Lefty
09-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Once I caught a couple of Yellow Bullheads that were about 15 inches long at Hemet Lake, but 17 inches is awfully big for a Bullhead. I have never seen any other catfish species but Brown Bullheads at Gregory, either, and the "big ones" are usually around 10 inches.

Tubbytuba
09-23-2012, 10:54 AM
i heard from one of my grandparents this morning that there are some channels in there. i'll try it out with some serious catfish gear soon, also i'll try and steer clear of areas that get fished hard. the key to getting to the bigger channels at big bear usually means finding something the bullheads wont eat and for some reason they will pretty much only eat crawlers there and at the greg... will report my findings... and thanks very much for the input guys. 17 inch bullhead is a hoss!

The Fishing Queen
09-23-2012, 11:44 AM
When I landed that one big bullhead (like dark olive/brown), my friend who was fishing next to me said that it was a good size fish, and that he had never seen a bigger catfish caught in that lake. Most of the bullheads that I caught were small, in average between 6 to 11 or 12 inches (past years). You can catch some good sized bullhead close to shore during spawning season. I once saw large school of babies that were swimming near the shore, and their parents were watching and guarding them a few feet away. I heard that the world record for brown bullheads is 7 pounds.

Tubbytuba
09-23-2012, 11:53 AM
bet you could have caught one of those parents with a wolly bugger, bull heads on the fly are really boring :ROFL:, ive done it once, i thought i had snagged a stick on the bottom.

Natural Lefty
09-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Tubbytuba, I caught a couple of Channel Catfish on a small fly last year, but that was not at Lake Gregory. It was quite a surprise when I caught them. I do recall that my friend Leo (AsianGuy) mentioned on this site, catching Channel Catfish at Gregory before, so maybe there are some, but I have never seen any.

Sometimes Bullheads do get pretty big, even bigger than 17 inches according to records, but not that often. Perhaps you should have had the large Bullhead certified Fishing Queen; it might have been a lake record.

kwin
09-24-2012, 12:41 PM
I have never seen a catfish species other than bullhead in Lake Gregory either by angler surveys or electrofishing.

Tubbytuba
09-24-2012, 05:42 PM
whoa you DFG kwin? Always thought that electrofishing was so cool.

castle
09-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Back in the 70s, 10 pounder channel cats were common, but you had to catch them from the rental boats. No more channel cat plants in a long time though. BTW, I caught a 2 lb. bullhead out of there, but again, I was in one of those rental boats. About 2 yrs ago. Keep trying, maybee some still exist.

Tubbytuba
09-24-2012, 06:58 PM
figured you would have to get your rig out pretty deep

pacerpacer8
10-05-2012, 07:58 PM

about 12-13yrs ago i had lake record 21&half lb now its 27 lbs.

castle
10-06-2012, 06:48 AM
That sounds right. I believe it was caught off the dam near the fire station by Maynard.The guy who made the hand tied crappie jigs.