PDA

View Full Version : YAKKIN' For my first flattie and a thanks to all 09/10/12 very late report

Armofisher818
09-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Well first off i want to thank eveyrbody here on fnn and bigwatersedge and all the countless articles online about fishing for always helping me out to land my first flattie. You guys have always helped me out with every question i had now i want to give back. And sorry for the lack of pics, i broke my iphone and misplaced my camera so i had to use the cheap back up phone that i had no usb for.:Sad:
I hadnt been fishing in a month and i have had the skunk for a year but that changed thanks to Bob. But really i wasnt feeling the success of fishing. I wanted to go out there on my own and catch my own fish. Literally i have been reading fishing articles and tips and techniques and rigs and tactics and spots and so on for the last couple years but never got to put them to use. I just could never go fishing to try out what i learned so i just sat home and did more reading and read reports and tryed to learn something from them. Well i was sick of that and i told my dad im going fishing in the harbor with my yak and i wont take no for an answers. It worked out :Smile:. I didnt have a bait tank so the night before i made a bait tube out of 3" pvc pipe, the guy at the bait barge wasnt too happy about it.
I woke up 4:30am and set up all my gear by 5:30. i go to call my dad and hes still asleep. ended up leaving at 6 and got there at 7. i was on the water 7:30. I have no fish finder but thanks to a member on bigwatersedge i got a good idea of where to start. thanks alot. i headed straight to the bait barge and bought bait. they were nice sardines and i stuffed em in the tube. i paddled my way to the spot i was told about and made a drift. i had two rods in the water, one was a 15lb 3 way swivel rig, 30" down to a 8 oz sinker, and a 36" leader to a size 1 mustad live bait hook with a size 6 treble stinger. the other rod was a 12lb drop shot size 1 hook no stinger 30" down to a 6 oz torpedo. well on that first drift i got short bit on the drop shot and the bait was thrashed by the gill. This got me reak happy cause i knew there was fish around. made the second drift and got stuck in kelp but luckily i got freed. didnt mind doing the second drift so i just set up my position and made a long 45 minute drift, i was aiming to end up at the light house by the end of the drift. well as i was doing the drift it was a pretty long time with no bites so i started to check the baits. reeled in the drop shot aand to my surprise no bait :Surprised:. i reeled in the 3 way swivel rod and im reeling in, slowly, the line gets near the boat and im about to bring it up when i feel a "Thud", my heart dropped, and in a flash second, the lines starts peeling like crazy and my rod is complete bendo with the tip in the water. well this only lasted a few seconds and i start reeling again. i feel heavy weight and im anxious to see whats on the end of the line, im thinking halibut, no shark, no ray,no.... and i hear a thud on my yak. i look toward the direction of the thud and i see, with such beutiful light brown color a giant halibut. i couldnt believe my eyes and i started screaming at the top of my lungs "YEAH YAH F*** YEAH DAMN COME HERE" and so on. i brought him next to the yak, grabbed him by the gills and threw him on my lap. once he got on my lap we went ballistic and jumped back in the wtaer. i thought hes gone but the treble hook was stuck in his hard bony area. luckily i brought a clip with my i bought from kmart and clipped him on. hes mine now. i was so happy i had an ear to ear grin the whole time i fished. it was my first hali and i couldnt believe it. my bait was dead by now so i made another drift with the 3 way swivel and drifted. i tried to eat my sandwich from subway but right then i got another hit. it faught pretty good and i thought it was a short hali. turned out to be a 20" leo that i threw back. didnt want to mess with him in the yak. i had no more bait and nothing to do so i paddled back to the dock. my dad came withmy lil bro and they jumped out of the car once they got to the dock and were so happy and amazed that i caught my first hali. i tied the yak on and went home. we ended up gutting the hali and eating it that same day. those fish tase so good! i only got two pics of it but it was 30 inches. i promise to have a better, shorter report next time. again thanks to everybody for their help and support throughout this time. and to the people like me at home who think they will never catch a fish, just go out and fish, i had no fishfinder, no bait tank, only a couple rods and my bait tube that dragged my like crazy. good night and god bless.
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa383/armofisher818/Snapbucket/647BC67B_zpsd561e381.jpg
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa383/armofisher818/Snapbucket/78C00689_zpscb3407d0.jpg
pm me with any questions you guys have i would gladly answer. once my bait tank is fixed up im gonna head out again if you would like to join let me know.

oldfishguy
09-20-2012, 09:07 PM
good ob on th flatty this is what makes fishing so much funyou haD A DREAM YOU LIVED THE DREAM YOU ACHIVED THE DREAM. fish on y friend

FKNChristopH
09-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I was stoked for you while I read this.. I know I was stoked on my first legal!! Good stuff on the halibut and keep fishing! Look on YouTube for DIY bait tanks for the yak. Gl and keep us posted.

*shaaakkkkaaaaaa*

SP Dan
09-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi ya Armofisher818,

"CONGRATULATIONS" :Beer Toast: WTG on your first legal Halibut .....with many to soon follow!
:Big Smile::Applause:
You hunted out the enemy and you fought it in it's own trenches! A job well done young soldier! :Thumbs Up:
I'll bet that your dad was extremely proud of you for what you achieved here today!

Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool: Keep them reports a comin'!

SP Dan <"))><

Armofisher818
09-21-2012, 10:59 AM
good ob on th flatty this is what makes fishing so much funyou haD A DREAM YOU LIVED THE DREAM YOU ACHIVED THE DREAM. fish on y friend
Well said. It really was a dream. Im still in shock that i caught my first flattie by myself. Thanks.

I was stoked for you while I read this.. I know I was stoked on my first legal!! Good stuff on the halibut and keep fishing! Look on YouTube for DIY bait tanks for the yak. Gl and keep us posted.

*shaaakkkkaaaaaa*
It was crazy landing that thing man it just came out of nowhere and slammed me. I already have my the tank for the bait tank im just waiting for the supplies to come. Thanks and i will keep posted.

Hi ya Armofisher818,

"CONGRATULATIONS" :Beer Toast: WTG on your first legal Halibut .....with many to soon follow!
:Big Smile::Applause:
You hunted out the enemy and you fought it in it's own trenches! A job well done young soldier! :Thumbs Up:
I'll bet that your dad was extremely proud of you for what you achieved here today!

Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool: Keep them reports a comin'!

SP Dan <"))><
Thanks man! My dad was really proud of me and my whole family was really happy. I hope ill get some more halis this weekend if i can get my tank set up by then. Will keep up the reports.

Calicanuck
10-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Nice catch!

Armofisher818
10-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Nice catch!

Thanks bro we should go yakkin soon

frankjz
10-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Wow, that's exciting! Great report with some memorable detail and live action reporting! Thanks.

DockRat
10-19-2012, 05:11 AM
Congrats Armo. :Applause: Trying to finger gill a 30" is risky move, with the teeth and the treble hook.
Bring a net next time, is also required by DFG and you don't want a ticket.
You'll be stoked with a bait tank.
How did it taste ? Did you eat the cheeks ?
Bring a gunny sack and tie/clip that to your Yak.
Don't leave your catch hanging in the water or a seal may grab it, you could get flipped over by a Big dog in a tug o war.
DR

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/ggiberti/PHTO0005.jpg
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo328/BigGameJer/200700804013.jpg