PDA

View Full Version : forum newbie at NPH

dbbspider
09-20-2012, 08:45 PM
In the early morning hours, I caught a these (attached) and a bunch of small thornbacks. I did get a big hit, line went tight w bent pole. I set the hook and and I heard a splash, it was too dark and too far to see what it was. As I was trying to bring it in (with drag), it made a b line to the dock I was fishing off and the line went tight like it was stuck. No matter how hard I pulled, it wouldnt budge. I let the pole sit for a bit but nothing. I had to cut the line. This happened twice. Was it a bat ray? Thanks

SP Dan
09-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi ya forum newbie at NPH and welcome,

A very impressive variety of YFC's and Bass.

Thanx for the fish report with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

smokehound
09-21-2012, 01:23 AM
In the early morning hours, I caught a these (attached) and a bunch of small thornbacks. I did get a big hit, line went tight w bent pole. I set the hook and and I heard a splash, it was too dark and too far to see what it was. As I was trying to bring it in (with drag), it made a b line to the dock I was fishing off and the line went tight like it was stuck. No matter how hard I pulled, it wouldnt budge. I let the pole sit for a bit but nothing. I had to cut the line. This happened twice. Was it a bat ray? ThanksSounds more like a spottie =P

Spotties like to hide tight in structure, they'll take your bait, and try to pull it into wherever theyre hiding.

with batrays you wont feel any headshakes or tail kicks, just a straight powerful pull, but they usually head for open water..

OC ANGLER
09-21-2012, 01:55 AM
Way to go spider! I head down there every now and then... What bait were you using?

dbbspider
09-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Way to go spider! I head down there every now and then... What bait were you using?

Cut squid, ghost shrimp, sand crabs, and mussels. I don't remember exactly which bait caught each fish. Thornbacks hit almost everything.