PDA

View Full Version : HB surf and inlet, NP harbor, and date report 9/19

LuckyCraft420
09-20-2012, 06:43 PM
It was a busy day yesterday... Woke up at 0730 to my phone ringing. It was the boss saying to take today off. After a bad situation last week I could use the money, but I'll make due. I called up Josh (aka Cutty), after fishing with him for the first time the night before at NP harbor. We talk over a few locations and decided to meet in Huntington Beach after I made a quick stop by the DMV (well I was hoping it would be fast).

1000 I finally arrived at the beach. Water mid 60s, no seaweed, clear water, no wind, 3-5' swells, and a dirty yellow foam on the top of the water. We fished there for about 10 minutes then decided to hit an inlet since it was 2 hours before high tide. So we moved over to the northern inlet. Tons of bait fish swimming around, and schools of mullet cruising by every few mins. I started with a Blue Mackerel Croc for no takers. Switched to a glittery green as red 3" BH, only to watch small bass following it in, but not biting it. All of a sudden i hear a yell from my right, look over, and josh is hooked up. After a few seconds it came unbuttoned. I then switched to an all white 3" BH for 1 quick bite. Meanwhile the 2 snaggers on the bridge had snagged 2-3 each Mullet each (they keep whatever they snag, just happen to be mullet today). 1200 rolls around and between the 2 of us we've only had a couple bites. It's now the peak of high tide so we moved back to where the inlet hits the waves. I switched to the BSP LC (josh was throwing a metallic sardine LC the hole time). After working a good portion of beach, I throw out a cast. My damn line jammed in the reel and snapped. Bye bye BSP LC -_- (I'm switching to 40-50 lbs spectra, not losing any more LCs). After being annoyed at the second LC lost in the passed 2 weeks, I was about to call it a day.

Josh says lets keep going at a new location. So we packed up and moved over to NPH. We got there around 1345, and rigged up with a 2" gulp shrimp on a small jighead. A little tip cause I learned the hard way... Leave your long surf rods at home when fishing between boats, it was difficult to cast accurately with a 9'6 clarus. Next time I'll bring the 5' trout rod. We only worked about a 50 Yard stretch, casting next to all the boats and bouy's. I missed 3 bites, and josh missed 2-3. Josh had to get to work, and I had plans so we called it a day at 1445.

I go home, do laundry and start packing to move.

****Only reason I'm throwing the rest in was because I had a lot of requests after meeting her while fishing****

1800 rolls around and I'm off to pick up my date. Pull up to her place and give her a call, a few minutes she comes walking out looking better than Jennifer Aniston 10 years ago. She jumps in the car, and we're off to dinner and a show. I kept everything a surprise, so she wasn't sure what to expect. About 30 mins later we arrive at the Brea Improv. She hadn't been to a comedy show before, so she was stoked when we pulled up. 1850 We go inside... Temperature mid 70s, not crowded, no seaweed, no swells, no baitfish, hahaha (had to throw that in there). We sat down and enjoyed a nice dinner while having a pleasant conversation (goals for the future, hobbies, and even a little fishing talk). 1930 the show started and the first comedian came on stage. Unfortunately I don't remember any of there names (I was paying attention to her most between comedians, not the host announce them), but for the most part they were all hilarious. I strongly recommend checking out an improv show if you've never been, you will have a great time. Anyway, the show ends around 2100, and I wasn't sure where else to go. I was thinking about going to a bar for a few drinks, but once we got into the car, she says "let's go to the beach." First thing that popped into my head was "what gear do I have in the trunk..." I then remember my salt rods are in the shower from being washed earlier, and all I have is 6' trout rod. Unfortunately it had the Pflueger president on it which I don't want to put in the salt, so decided to not take it. I figured if I'm going to the beach, and I'm not going to be fishing, then I wanted to go to a beach that is off limits to anglers so I wouldnt be tempted to grab the trout rod. We hit Laguna Beach at the end of the 133 hwy. We walked the beach for about a hour just talking away. Also grabbed an ice cream along the way. It started to get cold and we weren't prepared with jackets, so we left. I drive her home when she says she is not tired and invites me inside for a movie. She hands me a beer and we jump onto the couch. She puts in the movie 50 first dates. We get to the part where Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore have there first kiss, when we look at each other. I knew exactly what the look she gave me meant, "Go for it!" So I did, and we no longer cared about the movie (for maybe 5 mins). The movie ended, and I had to go (work early in the morning), so she walked me to the car and gave me a kiss goodbye.

Cadillyak
09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Sounds like the catch of a lifetime. Don't CPR this one. Lol

SP Dan
09-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Hi ya LuckyCraft420,

Nice catchin! :Big Grin: I hope to hook up with you at the up coming HG-4!

Thanx for the fish report with with pic's.......and also for the follow up report! :Big Smile::Applause:

SP Dan <"))><

LuckyCraft420
09-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Simply P: I'm not sure about the catch of a lifetime after 1 date, but time will tell :D

Dan: I'm registered and cant wait for the event. Wear that red hat and I'll find you to say hello haha

Nipple Twister
09-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Hey LC420, nice report my friend, thanks for sharing.........see you at HG4 ........ sometimes it's not always about the "fish" huh?

Dan: I'm registered and cant wait for the event. Wear that red hat and I'll find you to say hello haha :ROFL:

LuckyCraft420
09-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Though fishing is usually the high lights of my week whether I catch something or not. Meeting new people is another passion. I always go out of my way to talk to another angler when possible.

bachiboy
09-24-2012, 11:36 AM
I once lost two LCs, a pair of pliers and had my flipflops stolen in one session. I also ended up catching my first LC-caught legal butt that day...I'd say that was a fair trade. In your case. A couple of lost LCs for a date with a hot girl you met while fishing...better trade.:Wink: Hope it pans out!

Don

LuckyCraft420
09-24-2012, 08:36 PM
I had a similar story Don. The day I lost the first LC I switched to another and caught my first Legal :)

elfix
10-01-2012, 06:58 AM
good job man~ what kind of bait did you use?

Nipple Twister
10-01-2012, 10:28 AM
good job man~ what kind of bait did you use?

....second paragragh, third sentence.......

Most if not all questions will be answered here but try make the effort to READ all the report......com'on man........