PDA

View Full Version : Float tube motor ???

EbonBetta
09-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Having seen an ad somebody posted had me wondering..
Does adding a small electric motor to troll around change the classification of floattubing ?
Or is a small trolling motor too big ?? has anybdoy here ??used a small motor to get around ??

.:LOLLY:.
09-19-2012, 07:45 AM
If you have a motor you'll have to register your tube with the DMV and you'll need CF numbers.

HBAR
09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
yeah what lolly said and if memory serves me correctly the one FNNer that went through the process said it was a pain in the butt but he finally got it done.

Prowler_Tuber
09-30-2012, 09:01 PM
It's float tubing, if you want a motor get a Kick Boat they are made for them.

smokinflies
10-07-2012, 12:21 AM
If you have a motor you'll have to register your tube with the DMV and you'll need CF numbers.

personal vessels with electric trolling motors do not have to be registered.

smokinflies
10-07-2012, 12:27 AM
seen a few float tubes with electric tolling motor so it is possible. seems like too much trouble though.

matt duarte
10-07-2012, 12:33 AM
5gal bucket in the back of the tube..batt. inside the bucket.. and rig a piece of wood to the bucket for the motor to clamp to.. ive seen it on done on the fishcat4 the trolling motor shaft goes thru the hole in the back compartment of the tube..

smokinflies
10-07-2012, 08:59 AM
5gal bucket in the back of the tube..batt. inside the bucket.. and rig a piece of wood to the bucket for the motor to clamp to.. ive seen it on done on the fishcat4 the trolling motor shaft goes thru the hole in the back compartment of the tube..

interesting...

so the bucket sits behind the seat of the fishcat?

matt duarte
10-07-2012, 11:59 AM
yes sir... we used to float with the dude all the time and one day he showed up at the pudd with it.. it was pretty awesome.. i was also lookin online last night and for 100$ u can get a small innertube float that has a built in mount for batt. and trolling motor and u just tie the smaller tube to the back of the fishcat... its something to look into i thought it was pretty nifty... it looked like it put the trolling motor perfectly behind you, not to close not to far.. soo 100 for the float, 80-100 for the trolling motor and proly 30-50 for the batt... kinda pricy..but might be worth it on those days where u kick far from shore the the wind picks up making it a PITA to get back..

smokinflies
10-07-2012, 04:18 PM
... a small innertube float that has a built in mount for batt....

so this inner tube that holds the battery trailers behind a float tube?

deep cycle batteries go for about $100 and up. don't forget the battery charger too.

matt duarte
10-07-2012, 05:58 PM
http://www.thefishingdude.com/tag/float-tube-motor/

HBAR
10-07-2012, 06:48 PM
personal vessels with electric trolling motors do not have to be registered.

take your chances doing that in the sierras, if caught you'll get slapped with a nice ticket. A local magazine up there did a story on it, many tubers and kickboaters were caught and all got that nice ticket. They (the rangers and US forestry) all said dont try it the price of the ticket isnt worth it.

smokinflies
10-07-2012, 07:04 PM
take your chances doing that in the sierras, if caught you'll get slapped with a nice ticket. A local magazine up there did a story on it, many tubers and kickboaters were caught and all got that nice ticket. They (the rangers and US forestry) all said dont try it the price of the ticket isnt worth it.

Sorry about the posting the incorrect information.

found this info on the DMV site about this subject:

What Vessels Must be Registered?

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

LGHT
10-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I was considering getting one of those underwater scooters and just holding it underneath the tube on an as needed basis. I read a few guys who do that when the weather is bad. The good part is you can just bring it with you when needed and not when you don't.

Prowler_Tuber
10-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Buy bigger fins a motor kills the purpose of the float tube

Daryl
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Get a Hobie Kayak and buy this http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/accessories/evolve/.

EbonBetta
11-03-2012, 09:45 PM
So I'm guessing that when your kid puts his 15" powered model boat in the water a ca official can get to serve him with a ticket.. got to love ca.....If we have a revolution it going to happen here...

seal
11-04-2012, 07:18 AM
So I'm guessing that when your kid puts his 15" powered model boat in the water a ca official can get to serve him with a ticket.. got to love ca.....If we have a revolution it going to happen here...

Although I agree with your revolution opinion many other states have the same law and it's just as confusing and difficult to get them registered.

vortec_cruiser
11-04-2012, 09:12 PM
There's a guy on this forum who used a Sea-Doo between his legs to propel his tube.
Since it's not attached to the tube, you don't need any boat registration B/S.
http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/forum