PDA

View Full Version : Not much to report 9/17

Mr.DieHard
09-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Went to Pyramid for a few hours today. It was pretty nice weather, warm, and breezy but comfortable. There wasnt that many people fishing. It was my first time up there. I first fished the area to the right when you pull in for a while and nada. Then i moved down a little bit towards the maintnance storage area and nada. I was using a half ounce sinker with a crawler at the end of a 12 inch leader. I also used my baitcaster with different lures until i severely bird nested it beyond any hope. I walked around and scouted the area before i left. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Voice-of-Reason
09-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Best advice is to rent a boat. Pyramid is best fished that way. Been doing good at both Castaic and Pyramid of late.

Coefficient13
09-19-2012, 09:37 AM
When there a few weeks ago I carolina rigged 9 smallmouth in an hour fifteen or so, and these fish were off a point. I got no bites other than little toddler fish anywhere else, good fish off points. I started dragging the rig because I was failing terribly at striper, so no advice to give on those guys.

Water was nasty, all fish on 4.5 inch worms. Colors that would be easier to see did better, at least that's what I am going to attribute it to. I had like one of each color left in my case, and my fav clearwater baits caught fish, but the pro blue crawler or whatever, with the white bottom rather than brown with a blue stripe, and margarita mutilator with the purple top, each hooked up 3 fish in 4 casts before looking too sickly to use. The less stand-out colors got fish but were more of a grind.

In the mornings is seems some folks hitch rides with boats to points/areas further out. I imagine they hike back but get a ride to get there in time for the bite. I'd ask these guys/try to hitch a ride if you have to fish from shore, and try to get out there to a good spot.

I did the tap tap tap pause type retrieve to make some noise with my beads in the colored water. I didn't move far, mind you, but made sure there was a jig to it during movement to so fish knew where I was at. Most bites were timid but they held for ages so no problem. I had a shad based mix scent on.

I'm sure some guys are doing far far better than me, but that's what I did, so that's what I have to offer. Hope you get some.

flounder
09-19-2012, 11:02 AM
:Confused: :Confused::Confused: Has anyone heard of a "night fishing" coming at Pyramid Lake in October ? Is it any better than Castaic's Night fishing ?

fishinarteest
09-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Best advice is to rent a boat. Pyramid is best fished that way. Been doing good at both Castaic and Pyramid of late.

+1, pyramid sucks without a boat. I've only had one good day there on shore, where me, my uncle, and brother all hooked into some dd cats. I caught my pb that day. But I have never had a good day on shore there since. The lake is however excellent from a boat.

Mr.DieHard
09-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your input. Not quite ready to invest in a boat just yet. Once again thanks.