PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach Harbor Sat 9-15 with Hiro

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Hit Long Beach Harbor with my fishin’ pal Hiro.

It was some tough going…REAL tuff..

Tides all looked good….weather was good..

Things should have been wide open but tell the fish that..

We POUNDED many many zones…mainly targeting Halibut but at times going outa the box for a few other species….

Fished hard for a small array of fish..

In the end…at the end of the day I really shouldn’t complain cause we caught several fish each and had a fun day on the water…

fun in the sun so ta speak

So with that I’ll thank the fish gods for the action we got, fishing doesn’t always supply you the action you dream about but if your lucky u’ll still get action and that is what we got….

We wanted to explore other waters to see what was going on…and we did : )

All fish caught on a gulp minnow on a ¼ oz jighead other than the mack and 1 calico…those were on a lucky Craft.

We caught

Gary:

2 Halibut (biggest only 21 inches)
1 Calico Bass
2 Spotted Bay bass
1 Mackeral (half taken by seal) so REALLY ½ of a mackerel (I was lucky ta get my LC back)
1 Unidentified fish caught in open deeper waterways in the bay (Looked like a small limpet – had some sick flared gill slats with some barbs sticking up) shoulda took a photo but wasn’t thrilled at the size (Dank) hit the gulp jig.
10 queenfish
10 Lizardfish
1 Pelican (Caught by hand)

Hiro:
2 Spotted Bay bass
15 Queenfish
10 Lizardfish
1Calico

We did see something interesting:
A small school of nice sizable Mullet..

TWO times 2 of them chased my fish up to the boat…one time chasing the larger of the 2 halibut I caught and the other time chased my Calico…

Put a little time on targeting them but it just wasn’t in the cards I guess…that’s the 1st time I’ve seem them with a naked eye….good size too….probably 5-7 lbs (saw 1 bigger)

Didn’t take a lot of photos….

Here’s a couple of shots but my favorite is “Fred”

Fred kept following us around….we weren’t using bait….don’t know why he was so persistent…

so after a while of him hangin out…I felt it was time for a photo op….

Hey lil’ buddy..

Ya want it….don’t ya

Don’t Ya ?

Here ya go… (lizard fish)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/LongBeachHarbor9-15-12_pelican_1.jpg

Gullllllp

Didn’t get the fish yet…BUT in da’ boat ya come for a photo op with Captain Gary !

(NOTE: no animals were harmed ion this photo op- I know how to handle them wisely)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/LongBeachHarbor9-15-12_pelican_2.jpg

And the final pick b4 he is sent off flying in the blue sky:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/LongBeachHarbor9-15-12_pelican_3.jpg
QUITE a wingspan….probably at least 7’ maybe a lil more..

One of the 2 halibut I landed..
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/LongBeachHarbor9-15-12_halibut.jpg

A spottie for the road right at the bridge where we launched
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/LongBeachHarbor9-15-12_spottie.jpg

Sorry for not having more pics….just wasn’t much big fish action so we just kept on a pounding : )

Till next time,
Gary

Cali626
09-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Great report great catch great every time. Nice report.

murrieta angler
09-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Hey Gary,
Any day catching is better than sitting here and reading others reports...:Rolls Eyes:
Thanks for the short report,
Robert
<><

Wingnut
09-17-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't believe that Hiro was with you... no pics. :LOL:
Nicely done Gary, I was hoping to see another legal Hali. :Envious:
Careful, those Pelicans have mites (lice)... yikes! :Shocked:

HawgStalker
09-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Thats a great report even without a big fish! Ha... Those pics with the pelican is classic!

Thanks for sharing!

SP Dan
09-17-2012, 10:08 PM
You make it look easy to have a good time Gary!
Nice fish catch and the Pelican pic was really unusual indeed :Big Grin:!

Thanks for the report with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Armofisher818
09-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Nice fish, i hate those damn pelicans. What kind of gulp minnow were you using?

fishshep
09-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Waters look calm, and a good count ,sunny day ,couple of Hali,s makes

for good day !!! Yeah ,I agree,sometimes we have dreams of Legals,but

in the old LBC we get Lizzies !!! Can't, tell ya how many times that

has happened to me !

LuckyCraft420
09-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Awesome report as usual. You always seem to be nailing a nice variety of fish. If you ever want a fishing partner and your usual buddies are busy, send me a PM. I have no problem chipping in on gas for the boat or whatever else is needed.

-Ken-

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Great report great catch great every time. Nice report.
Thank you…I try….just nice to still catch something, I haven’t been to LB Harbor in way over a year : ) I’ll be back soon enuff.

Hey Gary,
Any day catching is better than sitting here and reading others reports...:Rolls Eyes:
Thanks for the short report,
Robert
<><

LMAO….I guess now that U put it that way it’s very true..

Like the old saying:

“The worst day fishing is better than the best day at work”

Something seemed off just a bit, I usually do much better there but it needed to be explored..

I don't believe that Hiro was with you... no pics. :LOL:
Nicely done Gary, I was hoping to see another legal Hali. :Envious:
Careful, those Pelicans have mites (lice)... yikes! :Shocked:

Hiro just doesn’t like his pictures taken that often…maybe he’s my imaginary fishin’ friend?
Ahhh ha ha ha

No…I don’t think I’m that old yet where senility has kicked in : )

Yeah I was hoping to nail some bigger fish and to see a legal in the mix as well but I guess it wasn’t in the cards that day…

I’ll return and wage war against those tight lipped, locked jawed flattie’s soon enuff..

Now it’s time ta turn a little focus on Freshwater MR striper ta get ready for StriperBOWL 2012 in 9 days…

I believe Hiro and I will be making your surf event this year so let’s see if we can get a picture of him there : )

Ahhhh ha ha ha

Thanks for the props brutha’

As for the Pelicans….not too worried about that….just about any wildlife has that potential and it surley it a real possibility…but a while back I told myself I would live my life and experience it all….that DOES include the wildlife…I lika’ ta get up close and personal to really experience it…

Got a new “Fowl” species this week…

Cormorant…Catalina style.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/CatalinaCormorant9-18-12_zps099d6f29.jpg
Suckas have some SHARP beaks and have some serious locking power…they lock down hard and don’t let go…

HANDLE WITH CARE….if you DARE : )

Gary

Thats a great report even without a big fish! Ha... Those pics with the pelican is classic!

Thanks for sharing!

I DO lika’ my photo ops : )

The big fish will come in time if I stay on them…happy to still land some and have a day out on the water with my buddy : )

Hope the report inspires you to go out and gert ya’ some as well : )

Good luck,
Gary

You make it look easy to have a good time Gary!
Nice fish catch and the Pelican pic was really unusual indeed :Big Grin:!

Thanks for the report with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks : ) Havin’ a good time is always easy…it’s finding the feesh and making them bite that is the hardest part : ) but yet it’s that challenge that keeps it interesting…
Look forward ta seeing your next report as well….I do read them just FYI…even if I don’t pound the surf : )

Nice fish, i hate those damn pelicans. What kind of gulp minnow were you using?

I pretty much always use the “Gulp Alive” minnow in 4” in watermelon pearl, smelt or emerald shiner…

The 5” Gulp jerkshad works well too but I think the 4” “Alive” minnow is just a bit better..
In those I use the White, Chartreuse/white or New penny if I target Calico bass by the rocks (the new penny for the calicos).

Waters look calm, and a good count ,sunny day ,couple of Hali,s makes

for good day !!! Yeah ,I agree,sometimes we have dreams of Legals,but

in the old LBC we get Lizzies !!! Can't, tell ya how many times that

has happened to me !

Lotsa’ Lizards out there everytime…

The weather and water was excellent…but the big fish wanted to stay in recluse during my visit….I’ll return on a day when they wanta’ play : )

It was a great day nonetheless : )

Awesome report as usual. You always seem to be nailing a nice variety of fish. If you ever want a fishing partner and your usual buddies are busy, send me a PM. I have no problem chipping in on gas for the boat or whatever else is needed.

-Ken-

Thanks, I’ll keep that under consideration…ya never know..U might get a heads up from me

Thanks everyone : )
Gary

Ifishtoolittle
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Great report Gary. Those Pelicans are really abandoning their hunting skills for opportunism from fishing boats, sad.

larry626
09-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I agree, those Pelicans are a menace! Had to unhook a few while on a recent charter with Long Beach sports fishing.. Why are they so lazy to look for their own food??

Great report Gary. Those Pelicans are really abandoning their hunting skills for opportunism from fishing boats, sad.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-20-2012, 02:42 PM
In response to armofisher’s PM (so all may benefit from the answer)

Use the gulp alive minnows on a round head ¼ oz jighead (use strong hooked model jigs-not walmart cheapies-those will bend on a big fish)

Dropshottting works well too but I spend 85-95% of my time working them on the jighead…

(If drop shot use a 2’ to 2 1/2 ‘ tag end)

Use the ¼ oz jigs in depths up to 25-30’ tops…go to a ½ oz after that…I try to stay to the lighter ¼ oz whenever possible as U will achieve much better action with the light jighead..harder to retain contact with the lighter lure at deeper depths that is the only reason to go to heavier 1/2 oz jig

Most of the halibut I get are pretty shallow though….usually in 13’ to 16’ of water but it’s not uncommon to get them in 3’ to 6’ as well…..try ALL depths…shallow to deep

Last but not least….let the fish take it some b4 setting the hook..

Ur bite to hookup ratio will be high by doing that..

The fish will hang on to that lure pretty well as it feels natural and they lika’ da’ taste…

Fish for the halibut in sandy zones where the rocks end and the sand begins but don’t overlook working into the outer reaches of those zones..the halibut will be present wherever the baitfish are (if ur lucky)

Fish and try all zones in search of them, particularly where you can find divots and troughs along the bottom as they love hiding in and hunting those zones…

Be prepared to lose some jigs when fishing near the rocks…it’s part of targeting those zones.

If you catch a halibut, no matter the size….pound that region HARD …usually U’ll find more in that region…there’s a reason they are there…spend some time focusing on that zone…pay attention…real close attention to where U hooked the halibut and fan cast the entire zone from left to right and repeat….keep attacking that zone for a while

Fish for the bass tight up to and IN the rocks….the calicos will 99% of the time be holding tight to structure..i.e. rocks or kelp…don’t be afraid to cast right into the danger zone….you WILL lose some jigs by doing this but you WILL catch fish..

Gotta break a few eggs ta make an omlette so to speak !

Hope this helps you all…

Good luck,
Gary

One last tip: many times the flatfish will fire up from the bottom and run back down and laydown with the jig…

This sometimes will fool you into thinking ur snagged…very often feels like it as there is no movement…sometimes a little sluggish feel can be detected but not always…..

SET THE HOOK…more often than not it’s the Halibut laying down holding the lure….sometimes U’ll find it’s a snag but VERY often it’s the target fish

Again………..

SET THE HOOK

Hooksets are free !

Use as many as U like !

Armofisher818
09-20-2012, 04:48 PM
In response to armofisher’s PM (so all may benefit from the answer)

Use the gulp alive minnows on a round head ¼ oz jighead (use strong hooked model jigs-not walmart cheapies-those will bend on a big fish)

Dropshottting works well too but I spend 85-95% of my time working them on the jighead…

(If drop shot use a 2’ to 2 1/2 ‘ tag end)

Use the ¼ oz jigs in depths up to 25-30’ tops…go to a ½ oz after that…I try to stay to the lighter ¼ oz whenever possible as U will achieve much better action with the light jighead..harder to retain contact with the lighter lure at deeper depths

Most of the halibut I get are pretty shallow though….usually in 13’ to 16’ of water but it’s not uncommon to get them in 3’ to 6’ as well…..try ALL depths…shallow to deep

Last but not least….let the fish take it some b4 setting the hook..

Ur bite to hookup ratio will be high by doing that..

The fish will hang on to that lure pretty well as it feels natural and they lika’ da’ taste…

Fish for the halibut in sandy zones where the rocks end and the sand begins but don’t overlook working into the outer reaches of those zones..the halibut will be present wherever the baitfish are (if ur lucky)

Fish and try all zones in search of them, particularly where you can find divots and troughs along the bottom as they love hiding in and hunting those zones…

Be prepared to lose some jigs when fishing near the rocks…it’s part of targeting those zones.

If you catch a halibut, no matter the size….pound that region HARD …usually U’ll find more in that region…there’s a reason they are there…spend some time focusing on that zone…pay attention…real close attention to where U hooked the halibut and fan cast the entire zone from left to right and repeat….keep attacking that zone for a while

Fish for the bass tight up to and IN the rocks….the calicos will 99% of the time be holding tight to structure..i.e. rocks or kelp…don’t be afraid to cast right into the danger zone….you WILL lose some jigs by doing this but you WILL catch fish..

Gotta break a few eggs ta make an omlette so to speak !

Hope this help you all…

Good luck,
Gary
Thanks alot Gary, i hope i can put these tips in action this sunday. Will let yiu guys know.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks alot Gary, i hope i can put these tips in action this sunday. Will let yiu guys know.

One last tip: many times the flatfish will fire up from the bottom and run back down and laydown with the jig…

This sometimes will fool you into thinking ur snagged…very often feels like it as there is no movement…sometimes a little sluggish feel can be detected but not always…..

SET THE HOOK…more often than not it’s the Halibut laying down holding the lure….sometimes U’ll find it’s a snag but VERY often it’s the target fish

Again………..

SET THE HOOK

Hooksets are free !

Use as many as U like !

bones
09-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Very nice bag of species you got there Gary. You work hard when you fish and the results are impressive. Funny story about pelicans. Once when float tubing with Bigred Killa in Santa Barbara he decided in his infinate wisdom to toss all of his dead bait in my lap right when we got back to the launch ramp to get out. Instantly I had three pelicans in my lap on the tube fighting over bait. Now I know from the observers point of view it's funnier than hell but one of the birds ate my old bait hanging from my pole.

Insert PANIC HERE !

BigRed was just turning purple with laughter and screamed "Your ON!".. To make it worse...... All of them especially the one I had to grab by it's skinny neck were infested with bird lice.....zillions of them. Those little critters were crawling all over me so bad that I had to strip down to my board shorts and take a swim!
Still gives me the creeps:ROFL:

Hey...Just learned something from one of our SWAT members SP Dan.... His lady works for the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Starving to death is part of the brown pelicans normal life cycle. When they dive for bait they keep their eyes open. Over the course of their lives the impact of diving for bait gradually causes damage to their cornea's and they slowly go blind.Eventually they can no longer survive off of the food they actually catch and resort to scavenging/begging for food until they die from starvation. Kinda sad but never the less think about it...... They really don't have any predators after them so something has to keep their numbers in check.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming......

--------<><

LuckyCraft420
09-20-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm down 7 days a week. Mon-fri after 4pm, and anytime weekends.