PDA

View Full Version : Trifecta of Perchin' - NPB Reports 08-18-2012 thru 09-15-2012

skunked4life
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Edit: Thought this was three weekends of fishing hence the title "Trifecta of Perchin'" but turns out it was four.

Been so busy that I have only managed about 4 trips to the surf in the last 4 weeks or so for 45 minute sessions.

08/18/2012:
Hit NPB at a little after grey light and not one bite for the first 30 minutes while tossing out the LC. Guess NPB is not so LC friendly since I have never caught anything on one so far....
Switched up to the Gulp sandworm (Camo) and the first cast produced a 4inch BSP. At least I got the skunk off! I decide that I would stay a little longer and ended up catching this:
It was about 13 inches but I was pretty satisfied!

08/19/2012:
Hit up NPB again for about 1 hour before church. This time, I went straight to the sandworm. Conditions were a little rough and the waves were pretty strong. Lots of surfers at around 7a.m. Tossed out the worm and it landed on top of the highest wave--not beyond, not before...on top! As soon as it hit the top of the wave, I feel a violent hit! Set the hook and fish on! It was taking drag and I was wondering what this thing could be? No surf perch I have caught put up this kind of fight. Even though I had a spool of 15lb braid, it ws topped off with 6 lb flouro and I wanted to be careful. After a decent 3 minutes of reeling I see that it was a BSP. Dismayed at first, I continued to reel it in and to my surprise...a 15 inch model!!!
This guy was fat as hell!
Two casts later, and another one!

08/25/2012:
Went out for 30 minutes. Conditions were much more manageable as it was low tide in the morning. Wanted to see if I could sight fish for Corbina but was too lazy to dig up sand crabs. Lots of birds everywhere! Optimal conditions, but was in a hurry and had only 30 minutes of fishing time. Cast out the sandworm where I had seen some corbina and nothing. Ten minutes left and I say, "what the hell, I need to get the skunk off." Nothing hitting the sandworms except dinks. Decided to switch up to 3 inch Gulp Shrimp (new penny). Tossed out beyond the first set of breakers and:

09/02/2012:
Tried another spot in NPB to see if I could continue on my little run of the larger sized perch. Lots of salad today. Never seen this much junk in the surf before at NP. Fished the Gulp Shrimp but no takers. Went back to the sand worm and got a nice 12 incher. THought I had the picture, but I guess I didn't take one. Sorry, no pic.

09/15/2012:
Bought a new reel and rod for the surf--Shimano Terez Waxwing spinning 7'2" and a STradic FJ 3000. Both in Pearl White. I know--might be overkill for perchin' but this is (IMO) a fantastic set-up! Could feel every nibble and tug. Hit up NPB again, another new spot. Tossed out a white (generic) curly tail grub (I think it was a 3 incher) and hooked up with a 18 inch Leo. Wow, never caught one of these before! Nice little fight too! Took on alot of drag and now I know what "zzzzzz" sounds like! No pic since I had left my phone in the car! Oh crap--I don't think I locked my car!!! Hurried back to the car to get phone and lock it. Tossed out the Gulp sandworm again and got this little guy:
Too small. I want more. I hook on the Gulp Shrimp since I have been having lots of luck with it lately. Boom--my first cast with the shrimp:
AT this point, I had to pee, so I called it a day.

I know--its just perch, but I have not been skunked for the entire summer targetting the BSP. In fact, while targetting the BSP, I have landed something EVERY trip including a couple of halibut! Now if I could only catch a spotfin and/or corbina...it would be the perfect run.

'nuff said.

bassfishing24/7
09-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Nice report brother & nice job On the toad perches!

murrieta angler
09-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Well done on the "Quadfecta"...:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

Wingnut
09-17-2012, 06:47 PM
That's a lot of Perch!
Well done... :Big Grin:

skunked4life
09-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Well done on the "Quadfecta"...:Big Grin:
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

Thanks! Hopefully these last few weeks werent flukes!

skunked4life
09-17-2012, 09:24 PM
That's a lot of Perch!
Well done... :Big Grin:

Once i master these perch, i'm gonna try targetting the big boys like you commander!

SP Dan
09-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi ya skunked4life

You are becoming a true contender in the surf for sure! Very nice catching!
WTG on the hog perchie! :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the nice read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

skunked4life
09-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Nice report brother & nice job On the toad perches!

You gotta introduce me to tubing bro! I need some more bass action.

skunked4life
09-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi ya skunked4life

You are becoming a true contender in the surf for sure! Very nice catching!
WTG on the hog perchie! :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the nice read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thank you sir! Hope to be fishing at your level in the near future! My goal is SWAT!

Bob_B
09-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Great report! How did that Stradic work out for you? Hope you like it.

bassfishing24/7
09-18-2012, 02:27 AM
You gotta introduce me to tubing bro! I need some more bass action.

Any time ur ready! U will be hooked i guarantee it!!

fishshep
09-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Good fun catching those perch !!!:Smile:

skunked4life
09-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Great report! How did that Stradic work out for you? Hope you like it.

It is the best reel i own next to my chronarch! Thanks!