PDA

View Full Version : Endangered mountain yellow-legged frogs might get a hoppy ending

ALandsford
09-16-2012, 09:59 PM
After all the hoopla about trout and humans impact on this frog, the article states that a fungus was a major culprit in the declining frog population...yet many streams have been cut off from public use.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-frog-refuge-20120916,0,4132145.story

carpanglerdude
09-17-2012, 06:05 AM
In some streams, the DFG actually killed the trout in them, thinking it would help the frog populations. Yeehaw

carpanglerdude
09-17-2012, 06:05 AM
For the time being, the creation of trout-free zones in hard-to-reach streams is one of the most effective survival strategies. For example, in a remote corner of the San Jacinto Mountains, the frogs are starting to recolonize sections of Fuller Mill Creek where fish were removed by the California Department of Fish and Game and the U.S. Forest Service.

H

GhettoBasster
09-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Does this mean I should be tossing my yellow Spro frog into the west fork of the Santa Ana? :Razz:

andrew95
09-17-2012, 04:01 PM
In some streams, the DFG actually killed the trout in them, thinking it would help the frog populations. Yeehaw

They have failed terribly at killing the trout in some of those streams, I'll say that much lol.

Marley
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
After all the hoopla about trout and humans impact on this frog, the article states that a fungus was a major culprit in the declining frog population...yet many streams have been cut off from public use.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-frog-refuge-20120916,0,4132145.story

Shame on you, sir, for spoiling the fight with facts. SHAME ON YOU!!!!

seal
09-18-2012, 08:24 AM
For the time being, the creation of trout-free zones in hard-to-reach streams is one of the most effective survival strategies. For example, in a remote corner of the San Jacinto Mountains, the frogs are starting to recolonize sections of Fuller Mill Creek where fish were removed by the California Department of Fish and Game and the U.S. Forest Service.

H

This quote means nothing, frogs like fish and most wildlife go thru population boom and bust cycles, amphibians in general's population have been impacted in the last 30+ years possibly due to man's encroachment of other environmental factors, wherever you got this quote from sounds like somebody trying to justify their policy of killing off trout and not stocking anymore. Not saying that trout don't eat the frogs or frog larvae but trout have been planted in these creeks for a long time and now they are supposed to be a problem? If they had that great of an impact on the frog populations it would have occurred a long time ago.

DEVOREFLYER
09-18-2012, 08:59 AM
More Enviro BS science, shocked, just shocked!!!!!!

castle
09-18-2012, 05:53 PM
But they will not still resume stocking trout.

carpanglerdude
09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
This quote means nothing, frogs like fish and most wildlife go thru population boom and bust cycles, amphibians in general's population have been impacted in the last 30+ years possibly due to man's encroachment of other environmental factors, wherever you got this quote from sounds like somebody trying to justify their policy of killing off trout and not stocking anymore. Not saying that trout don't eat the frogs or frog larvae but trout have been planted in these creeks for a long time and now they are supposed to be a problem? If they had that great of an impact on the frog populations it would have occurred a long time ago.

Agreed! Sorry to see streams closed off and trout killed over the frogs.