PDA

View Full Version : I need a reel recommendation!

LuckyCraft420
09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
I just bought a shimano clarus 9'6 rated 8-12, medium fast. I'm thinking I want to stay in the 2500 class range on 8# test. My price range is $100-150, that doesnt corode easily. I was thinking of bumping it to $220 for a shimano Stradic but I want others opinions, thanks!

cutbait
09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Pflueger president is a nice 50 dolla reel and do anything a stradic can

DEVOREFLYER
09-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Two thumbs up for the Pflueger President.

LuckyCraft420
09-17-2012, 07:50 AM
That was the recommendation I got from 20+ people for my trout reel a few months ago. Bought 1 and I love it. Maybe I'll just do that and get another president. I just thought the plastic reels were made more for the ocean.

cutbait
09-17-2012, 08:57 AM
At 50 bucks a pop, not that they do, but you can corrode 3 presidents before your even with your high priced, overly high priced reels

skunked4life
09-17-2012, 09:33 AM
I just bought a stradic FJ 3000 from another member from these boards and can tell you that they are amazing! They are rated for salt water use, so I wouldn't worry about corrossion or anything like that too much. You see alot of reviews where the reviewer is spinning an empty spool and comments on how smooth it is...this is BS. You will never know until you actually spool it up and hook up a fish. I took mine out to the surf for the first time Saturday morning and caught a 14 inch BSP and a 18 inch leo and the drag and retrieve were SUPER smooth. I don't know much about the pfluegers but I can tell you that the stradic is top notch for spinning reels under $200.

IMHO, why buy 3 $50 reels and replace when they corrode when you can get amazing quality with the stradic and if it breaks or corrodes, you can take it into Shimano in Irvine and have it replaced for free or at the very least the $30 price point?

cutbait
09-17-2012, 10:58 AM
I just bought a stradic FJ 3000 from another member from these boards and can tell you that they are amazing! They are rated for salt water use, so I wouldn't worry about corrossion or anything like that too much. You see alot of reviews where the reviewer is spinning an empty spool and comments on how smooth it is...this is BS. You will never know until you actually spool it up and hook up a fish. I took mine out to the surf for the first time Saturday morning and caught a 14 inch BSP and a 18 inch leo and the drag and retrieve were SUPER smooth. I don't know much about the pfluegers but I can tell you that the stradic is top notch for spinning reels under $200.

IMHO, why buy 3 $50 reels and replace when they corrode when you can get amazing quality with the stradic and if it breaks or corrodes, you can take it into Shimano in Irvine and have it replaced for free or at the very least the $30 price point?

They don't corrode,, my point was even if they did you could buy 3, hell I guess its 4 now for the price of one Stradic.

But if a 200 dollar spinning reel is your thing, by all means knock yourself out

skunked4life
09-17-2012, 11:04 AM
They don't corrode,, my point was even if they did you could buy 3, hell I guess its 4 now for the price of one Stradic.

But if a 200 dollar spinning reel is your thing, by all means knock yourself out

No disrespect to you nor your Pflueger. I also hear that these are great reels. The original post asked for advice and I gave advice based upon my experience, or lack thereof. I did not knock the pflueger nor state anything negative. Sorry if I may have offended you.

cutbait
09-17-2012, 11:34 AM
No disrespect to you nor your Pflueger. I also hear that these are great reels. The original post asked for advice and I gave advice based upon my experience, or lack thereof. I did not knock the pflueger nor state anything negative. Sorry if I may have offended you.

Nah, its all good.

Noone is offended. IMO, those high end reels are a hindrance. You spend more time caring and polishing than fishin.

I also like to buy new equipment every 5-10 years, so the rebuild thing isn't my thing either..I love Shimano rods and the warranty, but 200 dollar reels just aren't my thing.

Stand up guy skunked, but I wasn't but hurt in any way. Just sharing my thoughts as you were

skunked4life
09-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Nah, its all good.

Noone is offended. IMO, those high end reels are a hindrance. You spend more time caring and polishing than fishin.

I also like to buy new equipment every 5-10 years, so the rebuild thing isn't my thing either..I love Shimano rods and the warranty, but 200 dollar reels just aren't my thing.

Stand up guy skunked, but I wasn't but hurt in any way. Just sharing my thoughts as you were

Cool. Not here to make enemies. Yeah, I was in the same boat a few years back buying quality inexpensive reels, mainly the workhorses made by shimano like the sedona, but for some reason, I started to lean towards the shiny pretty reels. I know, sounds pretentious. Anyways, glad we're cool.

angelsfan951
09-17-2012, 01:46 PM
I do own both in the 1000 series tho. The pfluger president and the CI4, and IMHO they are both great. If u are going to be jiggin or throwing lures i do prefer the ci4 as does my wife lol Its lighter and cast a lil better but the drag on both is great. I probably wouldn't buy another 200 reel tho as my wife almost killed me but to each their own. if you have the money maybe even buy both if ur willing to spend 220 might as well spend 250 and give them both a try! you wont be disappointed with either or!

Koontaj
09-17-2012, 01:59 PM
I am your enemy ha ha.. ya that stradic is in my opinion a big rip off. I out fish people with my Okuma trio clarus rod and I condsider it high end. Some people have the money to waste....just my opinion...LOL:Twisted:
Cool. Not here to make enemies. Yeah, I was in the same boat a few years back buying quality inexpensive reels, mainly the workhorses made by shimano like the sedona, but for some reason, I started to lean towards the shiny pretty reels. I know, sounds pretentious. Anyways, glad we're cool.