PDA

View Full Version : Skinner slayage 9/16

P.A.W.
09-16-2012, 12:32 PM
I guess the new moon helped. Hit the inlet right away 6:15 or so. 1st cast and fish on. They were so agressive I put down my jerkbait rod and started throwing a topwater Excalibur. They were smacking it all over the place. I'd hookup like every 5th hit or so. Ended up with 8 fish by 8:00. It was slowing down and I got a little restless but I bet I could have limited if I stayed there.

Guys, this looks to be a stellar fall/winter striper season. The average schoolie fish is around 3 lbs., for sure bigger than last year. Their bellies are full of threadfin shad so the forage has changed from the tiny krill-like bait I was seeing just a few weeks ago. No wonder they have alot of energy and are fighting hard. I had one break off my Lucky Craft on 12lb flouro, and a neighboring boat lost one the same way. Lots of fun!!

LMB was slow all over. Bluestoning might have something to do with it? Anyway I didn't even sight any around the tulies except for little 6" dinks. Got out of there around 11:00.

jnitrobass
09-16-2012, 12:38 PM
better check your knots after each fish they do have sharp teeth floro frays easy

drifter023
09-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Nice job out there I got to give it a try out there soon. Thanks for all the updates you give from out there will pm you for some info. if I can get out there soon.... Last time out at silverwood got one about 3in.s :LOL:

JAG107
09-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Sounds like Skinner will be the place to be over Silverwood lol! Gotta love that topwater action, really keeps things perky! No trolling today Pat?

P.A.W.
09-16-2012, 07:38 PM
No troll today. I had a load of stripers so went LMB hunting after. BTW guys. I PM'd Askwhy for his striper cevice recipe....... just great! I have never been a sashimi kind of guy so the idea of uncooked striper made me queasy. BUT I decided to try it. Man a citrus bath for 15-30 minutes "cooked" them just right. Absolutly no fish taste. Just like chicken.

Askwhy
09-16-2012, 08:27 PM
P.A.W. Glad you enjoyed your ceveche , it's so good I always take my friends some and someone always calls asking if they can buy a batch lol next time make sure u use those fresh tostada shells and slices of avocado on top along with a few dashes of tapatio man my mouth is watering just thinking about it , I think I'm going to have to hit up skinner tommorow lol

P.A.W.
09-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Ha we think alike. I did have avocado and I did buy totada shells. One thing I was mising was BEER!!!! Forgot to pick it up while buying the rest.

GdHkSet1
09-17-2012, 07:37 AM
WTG out there Pat, keep slaying them jailbirds...ah man losing a LC lure...or any lure of that matter suks-keep up the pressure nail down that DD.

I guess the new moon helped. Hit the inlet right away 6:15 or so. 1st cast and fish on. They were so agressive I put down my jerkbait rod and started throwing a topwater Excalibur. They were smacking it all over the place. I'd hookup like every 5th hit or so. Ended up with 8 fish by 8:00. It was slowing down and I got a little restless but I bet I could have limited if I stayed there.

Guys, this looks to be a stellar fall/winter striper season. The average schoolie fish is around 3 lbs., for sure bigger than last year. Their bellies are full of threadfin shad so the forage has changed from the tiny krill-like bait I was seeing just a few weeks ago. No wonder they have alot of energy and are fighting hard. I had one break off my Lucky Craft on 12lb flouro, and a neighboring boat lost one the same way. Lots of fun!!

LMB was slow all over. Bluestoning might have something to do with it? Anyway I didn't even sight any around the tulies except for little 6" dinks. Got out of there around 11:00.

seal
09-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Sounds like Skinner will be the place to be over Silverwood lol! Gotta love that topwater action, really keeps things perky! No trolling today Pat?

I'm so glad you are spreading this message, continue please.....

P.A.W.
09-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Hey seal, you need a bunch of people up there to thin out the herd of 1lbers I've been hearing about. Less competition for forage means bigger stripers.

JAG107
09-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm so glad you are spreading this message, continue please.....

This isn't news. Anybody who reads this site knows about the micro stripers at Silverwood as of late. Not to mention that there are more people that fish the wood than Skinner easily. And I think the average angler is way more likely to land one like the one in your profile pic at the wood than at Skinner any day of the week.

drifter023
09-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Hey seal, you need a bunch of people up there to thin out the herd of 1lbers I've been hearing about. Less competition for forage means bigger stripers.

1 lbers :Bug Eyes: let me at them. http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/01drifter/Gotstripers.jpg
Man I got to get to Skinner fast....

Slater
09-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up for whats been going on out there... been awhile since Ive taken a paddle at skinner, been braving the ocean lately. Will be out there early tomorrow searching - throwing those flukes, ITO's, and LC - my usual go tos. Will post when I get back

seal
09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
This isn't news. Anybody who reads this site knows about the micro stripers at Silverwood as of late. Not to mention that there are more people that fish the wood than Skinner easily. And I think the average angler is way more likely to land one like the one in your profile pic at the wood than at Skinner any day of the week.

That was a little joke didn't mean anything serious, sorry about that.

That fish in my avatar was from years ago at Lake Mead not Silverwood.

Micro stripers are on the chew in some areas of the Wood and have been for a couple months but with cooler weather and shorter days water is cooling off and bigger fish are coming up and can be found with a little work, in fact I have not caught a micro in quite some time.

seal
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM

I love the 1lbs. gives me something to play with till the 10lbs. start to hit!

By the way the stripers I've been getting (similar size schoolies) have not had shad or silversides in their bellies, they've had nothing but small LMB's recently, poor Largemouth are getting picked on for some reason, areas I've been fishing the bait schools are MIA so far that should change soon I'd hope.

seal
09-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Sorry P.A.W. don't want to jack your thread, nice job at Skinner love that topwater bite!

P.A.W.
09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
No worries seal. This thread needed some input.