PDA

View Full Version : Why are they dumping dirt in cabrillo?

Armofisher818
09-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I was yaking cabrillo harbor the other day and as i was speaking with the bait barge guy he said that they were dumping dirt in the harbor and i saw the oat they used it was huge! I fished from 7-12 and i saw them dump three times and each load should be around a couple tens if thousands of pounds. Sooner or later thisis gonna effect fishing there. Anyone know why their doing that? It was my first time there but who wants to see some pics of dead fish?

smokehound
09-16-2012, 01:44 AM
I was yaking cabrillo harbor the other day and as i was speaking with the bait barge guy he said that they were dumping dirt in the harbor and i saw the oat they used it was huge! I fished from 7-12 and i saw them dump three times and each load should be around a couple tens if thousands of pounds. Sooner or later thisis gonna effect fishing there. Anyone know why their doing that? It was my first time there but who wants to see some pics of dead fish?my guess is they're filling areas that have been dredged.

I dunno. The things this state does make no sense anymore..

DockRat
09-16-2012, 06:07 AM
They are expanding the Cabrillo shallow water habitat.
(Inner) Cabrillo Beach always gets a 'F' on water quality. They need to open the breakwall or put in a circulation pipe to get some circulation in there. Already spent $10 million dollars on it and they have replaced all the beach sand a couple times.
DR

Armofisher818
09-16-2012, 09:57 AM
They are expanding the Cabrillo shallow water habitat.
(Inner) Cabrillo Beach always gets a 'F' on water quality. They need to open the breakwall or put in a circulation pipe to get some circulation in there. Already spent $10 million dollars on it and they have replaced all the beach sand a couple times.
DR
Your kidding right? 10 million on that bs? No one even swims at the inner beach thats plain stupid. Are the fish in there safe to eat though?

DockRat
09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Eight beaches in L.A. County received year-round Fs. Four of them — Avalon Beach on Santa Catalina Island, Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro, Topanga State Beach and Colorado Lagoon in Long Beach — made the list of "Beach Bummers," the 10 most polluted beaches in California.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/26/local/la-me-0526-beach-report-card-20110526

SANTA MONICA, CA (Tuesday, September 27, 2011) – California beachgoers enjoyed a fifth consecutive summer of excellent water quality, according to the 2011 End of Summer Beach Report Card® released today by environmental group Heal the Bay.

In its latest survey, Heal the Bay assigned an A-to-F letter grade to 447 beaches along the California coast, based on levels of bacterial pollution reported from Memorial Day through Labor Day. This summer, 92% of sites received A or B grades statewide, the same total as in last year’s report.

Los Angeles County, which consistently has the worst water quality in the state, showed marked improvement this summer. Some 85% of beaches received A or B grades, up from last year’s 79%, thanks in large part to historically troubled Long Beach scoring its best summer water quality grades to date.

In another encouraging sign for improving L.A. County water quality, the city of Avalon has budgeted more than $5 million to repair a deteriorating sewer system. Leaky pipes have led to two decades of extremely poor water quality at Catalina Island’s Avalon Beach, a high-traffic summer tourist destination.

Avalon frequently heads Heal the Bay’s “Beach Bummer” list, which ranks the 10 most polluted beaches annually throughout California. Unfortunately, this trend continued this summer, with all five Avalon monitoring locations scoring either D or F grades. Despite the poor marks, Heal the Bay commends the city for finally addressing its long-standing ocean pollution issues.

The Beach Report Card is based on the routine monitoring of beaches by local health agencies and dischargers. Water samples are analyzed for bacteria that indicate pollution from numerous sources, including fecal waste. Heal the Bay analyzes the data and assigns easy-to-understand grades to each beach. The better the grade a beach receives, the lower the risk of serious gastro-intestinal and respiratory illness to ocean users.

“We continue to see water quality improvements at California beaches,” said Mark Gold, president of Heal the Bay. “A sustainable source of beach monitoring funding is critical to ensure that we continue to capitalize on these gains and safeguard the public health of millions of ocean users statewide.”

Ongoing state funding for routine water quality testing along California beaches had been cut in 2008 from the California Department of Public Health due to the statewide budget crisis. Nearly $1 million in annual patchwork funding from the State Water Resources Control Board has now been exhausted.

Fortunately, the California Assembly and Senate have approved SB 482, a bill introduced by Sen. Christine Kehoe that would funnel permit fees collected by the State Water Board to fund beach water quality monitoring on a consistent basis. The bill is now awaiting the Governor’s signature.

Back in Los Angeles County, 100% of sites monitored in Long Beach received A or B grades this summer, an impressive improvement over last year (73% A or B grades). Long Beach, which is heavily impacted by upstream pollution flowing down the Los Angeles River, has shown determination to improving beach water quality. It has conducted numerous source tracking studies and implemented several successful mitigation projects, most notably at the heavily impaired Colorado Lagoon.

On the downside, poor water quality persists at Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro. The harborside beach near the restrooms has earned F grades the past eight summers. The city of Los Angeles has completed several improvement projects totaling $15 million without much luck.

Other beaches in L.A. County earning F grades this summer: Marie Canyon at Puerco Beach, Escondido Creek, Solstice Canyon at Dan Blocker County Beach, Surfrider Beach, Malibu Pier, Carbon Beach at Sweetwater Canyon and Topanga State Beach.

Orange County once again enjoyed great water quality this summer, with 94% of beaches receiving an A grade, slightly lower than last summer. Poche Beach once again received an F grade, but Dana Point’s perennially troubled Doheny Beach jumped to an A grade from last season’s C grade.

http://www.healthebay.org/media-center/press-releases/california-summer-beach-water-quality-holds-steady