PDA

View Full Version : Dam Question

fish-hound
09-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey fellow FNNers I'm deciding to head out to the lake tomorrow and maybe even Monday and have been told a lot about fishing for bass from the dam. I have been to Perris only a few times and know how long the dam is, so to my question... what is the structure like throwing out from the dam (i fish from shore) and are there any "hot spots" or anything on any points from the dam. I know about the canyon way out in boat territory (i do not own a boat or want to rent one yet) idk if there is something similar from shore by the dam. My friend at work said that he sees quite a few boats fishing near the first ramp on the dam idk if that means anything to the Perris regulars out there. So any advice or anything would help greatly PM or reply here thanks guys! Tight lines all!

good kentucky
09-16-2012, 12:36 AM
I fish from the boat but when I fish the dam, I cast about 20-35 ft away from the dam with drop shot or split shot, usually catch 1-2.5 pounders but very now and then you will run into school of big fish. I would just walk along the dam and cover ground. Usually if I don't get hit on the fall or after few shakes and retrieves I recast and keep moving, it's a pretty long dam. If wind picks up reaction bite can be good! Jerkbait/spinnerbait

fishmounter
09-16-2012, 09:04 AM
I replied to a similar question a week ago or so ago with this.. If I was going to fish the LP dam for bass right now, I would go early or late in the day, I would use spinning gear with 4 or 6 lb test, and I would use weightless wacky rigged 5 inch "thin" Senkos (use a weedless hook), or I would put on a long 6 or 7 inch straight Robo worm, rigged Texas style, also without any weight. Color is not really a big deal, but my favorite is "Bold Bluegill". Make long casts, let them sink down and slowly work them back in with little twitches. Watch your line to jump or go sideways. Using sinkers by fishing a texas rig or Carolina rig on the dam will result in lots of snags and lost rigs because of all the rocks. If you have to use a sinker. use a small split shot. Lipless cranks will work at times and I have done pretty good with the old silver Mepps squirrel tail spinner. Fishing is slow in shallow water now with this hot weather, but the bass are there early and late looking for food.

fish-hound
09-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the reply guys I left the lake at 9:30 today with only a blue gill who somehow bit a drop shot on a small gulp worm thing I was throwing. Kentucky do you meter a lot of fish when you are fishing the dam? Is there a canyon or anything by the dam? Fishmounter I can't tell you how pissed off I was losing tackle to the damn rocks (no pun intended) i lost several ds rigs and a jig before just moving to the pier and surrounding shallow beach areas... plus it was nice to wade out in the water to stay cool. But man it was frustrating. My confidence is pretty shot after today so idk if tomorrow is gonna happen or not I might go try Big Bear for the weather but I might buck up and try Perris again tomorrow! Time will tell thanks guys and more input is still appreciated.

ShoreBucket
09-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Don't throw anything off the dam that you don't want to lose, Fishmounter is spot on with his advice (IMO). If it sinks, there's a good chance you won't see it again. You can see first time visitors feeding tackle to "rockfish" all day long off the dam.

dday07
09-16-2012, 12:35 PM
x2 I can't tell you the tackle my bro and i have lost at dam...but can be productive also....we stay close to corner nearest the entrance....topwater early and dropshot and ika's alway's work good also...but don't use trokar hooks unless your rich...LOL!
Don't throw anything off the dam that you don't want to lose, Fishmounter is spot on with his advice (IMO). If it sinks, there's a good chance you won't see it again. You can see first time visitors feeding tackle to "rockfish" all day long off the dam.

fishntime
09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Here's a couple tips u might find useful. Throw ikas out as far as u can, then bump them back slowly. As u soon as u feel the rocks, start lifting your rod tip higher so that u may clear the rocks. Next bait would be a GYB Senkos whacky style and Texas rig weightless. Same concept on these baits. One last bait I would throw is a silver sided shallow running crank bait. Of course u should fan cast all of these baits. I've found that late afternoons at the dam are killer for the largies. Hope this helps get u on the bass.

fish-hound
09-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Lord knows I lost enough tackle to open a shop lol but sometimes pulling on those rocks sometimes it feels like i feel a tug on my pole so i think it's a bite and i set the hook and next thing i know i'm fighting a snag... not a pleasant experience. Thanks for the info fishntime I guess I gotta get some ikas, btw where do you fish on the dam for that awesome afternoon bite?

fishntime
09-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Well it's been awhile since I fished the dam from shore. But, I would suggest fishing in-between the first and second fishing peirs.

rob.villanueva
09-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Fishhound,

I'm still new to LP, but Ive had some success at certain spots during certain times of the day. It's a little hike, but I go to the middle of the dam where it begins to curve to the left as you're walking towards the end. I take a t-rigged 6 1/2" robo and some Berkely Chigger craws and drag it back slowly. Sometimes even hopping it back. Yes, I'll get a snag and have to cut the line, but it's real minimal... as long as you gently drag it back and feel the rocks. I've had 8-10 bass in 1-2 hours at that point. They usually are small, 8-12"ers, but hey at least im getting them. Sometimes I'll get one or two on top with a popper if there chasing bait. Another spot is by the police dock, early in the morning. There tend to be bigger fish there. I usually leave by 830-9, but occasionally stay till 1030-11 if the bite is good.