PDA

View Full Version : Targeting perch in Newport beach, 9/14

LuckyCraft420
09-14-2012, 08:55 PM
After wanting to fish the last 2 days, I was definitely feigning to hit the sand. But then it looked like I would have to pass to get a free 55" led flat screen. It's nice having happy customers that always want to latest and greatest in electronics But I HAD to take it today. So I talked my boss into letting me leave it in his storage for a few days. On the way to the sand! Pre-studying showed me the biggest tide differentials this weekend that I've seen in my areas since I started surf fishing 2 months ago (this Sunday will have over a 5' swing!)

I get to the water at 315, as the tide is starting to move up. I started with an LC, not really expecting a perch, but it's how I like to start my surf sessions. I've seen reports of perch being caught on LCs, but I don't think the perch are big enough in OC to really give it a good hit. I worked about 30 yards in 20 mins with no bites, then switched it up.

Carolina rigged sand crabs. First cast. Tap tap tap, hook set, nothing. The next hour I had no bites. The currents weren't very strong today, but the 4-5 foot waves practically crashing on shore was making the target zone hard to stay in (I can't wait to buy a clarus tomorrow after the event (longfin tackle sale). So I'm starting to get a little frustrated at this point and thinking about leaving. But I didn't smell skunk in the air, so it was time for something new.

I bust out the crack (2" sand worms, camo color). First cast again. Tap tap tap, tug, hookset, nothing... Or was it! Here comes sliding in my skunk busting 4" BSP (my bsp LC is longer) hahaha. Quick release and recast. About 10 minutes later, I hook up on another dink BSP. I decide to keep moving down the beach to find something that can actually make my rod bend. 30 mins later and 3 troughs later I'm getting bit on every cast, but nothing is sticking... I thought about changing hooks, but wasn't sure if I should go smaller or bigger, so I just left the size 8 mesquito hook on. I went on fishing missing hook set after hookset. All of a sudden I get a really good bite, and finally my rod is bent! After fighting hard for about 15 seconds, the wave brings in a 8-9" BSP. I took a quick pic next to my rod and tossed it back in. But wait, I see it floating on its side as the current is pulling it out... Though I didn't look, I didn't notice it bleeding prior to letting it go.. The next wave brought it back in, so I grab it by hand and played doctor. I stood crouched over holding the fish right side up for a good 2 minutes before it swam out of my hands and back into the surf. After that it was time to go sit in traffic on the way home to prepare for fishing Santa Monica at dawn tomorrow. I was expecting a much more productive day with the crazy tide changes (for the area), but I still left happy. I did see beans riding the waves consistently, but they didn't feel like playing today either.

Formerly OCFishing420. Changed to something better fitting!

ityperx
09-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I get to the water at 315, as the tide is starting to move up. I started with an LC, not really expecting a perch, but it's how I like to start my surf sessions. I've seen reports of perch being caught on LCs, but I don't think the perch are big enough in OC to really give it a good hit. I worked about 30 yards in 20 mins with no bites, then switched it up.

About a month and half ago I got this out of balboa near the pier.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m201/Autobotz8/IMG_3581.jpg

At least you beat the skunk, Congrats doctor! lol, Thanks for the report.

LuckyCraft420
09-15-2012, 07:34 PM
That's a nice catch for NP right there! I'm glad to see they are out there.

SP Dan
09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanx for the report!

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
09-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the report 420.
Keep at it and you will soon have a multi species day with the LC...:Wink:
Robert
<><

Wingnut
09-17-2012, 07:08 PM