PDA

View Full Version : Surf rod

madbass
09-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Im going to concentrate all of my fishing efforts on halibuts from the surf and im looking for a nice rod that I can toss LC's. Need a rod that's long enough to get out there but strong enough to handle big fish....most of my Ross are stiff, need something that will allow the LC to move naturally...any recommendations?

Any info isuch appreciated...

DockRat
09-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Spinner or baitcaster ?
$100 or $300 ?

madbass
09-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Definetly lookin for a casting rod, not much of a spinning guy...
Thanks

bsp
09-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Hey madbass,

What you're going to want to look at are LMB cranking rods. They've got the more fluid action you're looking for, and the ones that are designed to handle up to 1oz baits will have the backbone. I'm currently using a Phenix XG-3 glass 7'9". It's glass so not as sensitive as all graphite, but it's plenty sensitive for fishing reaction baits like LCs. It really loads up b/c it's glass with a moderate action, and has the backbone to pull big fish when you hook them. You can fish braid with it and not worry about the hooks pulling out, and that'll give you even more pulling power over mono. I still use mono b/c I'm used to it, but have fished braid to a short fluoro leader without any issues. If you still want some graphite, check out the Phenix X-12. Same specs at 8-20lb line, 1/4oz-1oz weight, but a faster action since it's partially graphite. If you don't want to go with Phenix, look for the same specs in other manufacturers rods and you'll do fine.

If you're going to the HG 4 event and can hold off on buying your rod until then, I'll gladly bring both for you to check out.

Best,

Marc

madbass
09-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the offer and suggestions. I'll try to make out to the event, but of I can't make it then let's try to meet up before hand so that I can try them out... I've been focusing on the tuna bite which has been insane this year....but no more money and saving my $$$ for my surf rod, really want to learn all about halibut fishing with LCs....

Thansk for everything Marc

Alex

Hey madbass,

What you're going to want to look at are LMB cranking rods. They've got the more fluid action you're looking for, and the ones that are designed to handle up to 1oz baits will have the backbone. I'm currently using a Phenix XG-3 glass 7'9". It's glass so not as sensitive as all graphite, but it's plenty sensitive for fishing reaction baits like LCs. It really loads up b/c it's glass with a moderate action, and has the backbone to pull big fish when you hook them. You can fish braid with it and not worry about the hooks pulling out, and that'll give you even more pulling power over mono. I still use mono b/c I'm used to it, but have fished braid to a short fluoro leader without any issues. If you still want some graphite, check out the Phenix X-12. Same specs at 8-20lb line, 1/4oz-1oz weight, but a faster action since it's partially graphite. If you don't want to go with Phenix, look for the same specs in other manufacturers rods and you'll do fine.

If you're going to the HG 4 event and can hold off on buying your rod until then, I'll gladly bring both for you to check out.

Best,

Marc

Bebop
09-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Alex, Marc has some good suggestions. I wrap rods myself and use alot of Phenix blanks. I also use other blanks to, what ever my customers want and designs. I have caught 20lb halibuts on just a bass rod and it worked great. My friend uses a crankbait rod and has pulled out 40lb halibuts using 6# test line from shore. the important test is using a rod that is comfortable for you and the right reel and drag for the fight. Good luck Alex