PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-wed-09-12-12 Finger Bank and Salsapuedes.

Tunaslam
09-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Fishing Wednesday 06-13-12, with Bill Fisher, on his 18’ Trophy, “Toad Hall”. I left my work in San Bernardino at 3:30pm; arriving at Bill’s Trailer residence on a cliff overlooking the water, some 10 miles south of Rosarito at 6:15pm Tuesday evening.

I enjoyed some Merlot wine, while Bill was sipping on a Bud, as we discussed the next day’s fishing possibilities, offshore with weather permitting, to find Do Do’s and Tails, or our regular Red and Rockfish Bonanza. Bill was watching the San Diego Padres vs. St Louis Baseball game, before we left for dinner at the newly opened Splash 2, which is considerably closer than Splash 1. I had a fish and shrimp taco, while Bill chose Shrimp Cerviche, washed down with Modelo Negro on draft.

Lights went out at 9:30 pm with a 5:15am rise and shine call. We woke up to a heavy marine layer, with a stiff breeze. Just past grey light we arrived in Las Salinas, where Bill slips his boat. We exited the harbor around 6:30am, into bumpy, confused seas and at least 10 knots of wind. Already there were some faint signs of Capping, darn that killed the proposed offshore adventure. Now could we get to the lower Finger Bank without getting too banged up?

We stopped on a bait school and used Sabiki Rigs to collect some Mackerel for both live and cut bait. 15 minutes later we had 25 pieces in the bait tank and we were on our way. It was a slow march out; however, we made the 9 mile run in about 45 minutes and began fishing in deep water, 290 to 330 feet. The drift was very fast, yet the scope out was not bad, must mean there was little current, or wind against the current?

Because we were off the stones in no time, the fishing was slow, if you didn’t get bit instantly you were SOL. Bill and I both caught Salmon Groupers on our first few drops, and then added a couple Green Stripes, Starries and Santa Marias. Made a number of moves for mostly the same results, except on one drop we both caught 3 pound Copper Rockfish. We soon determined that the deep water scene was not going to pay off.

We headed south toward Salsapuedes to fish the shallower spots under 150 feet. The drifts were still quick; however, the area of hard bottom was about a ¼ mile long allowing for numerous drops. We caught more Bocaccio, one 4 pounder, a bunch of 22 to 23.5 inch Lingcod, all released, Johnny Bass, Green Spots, Starries, Barber Poles, Chocolate Rockfish, and a Bank Perch. Most of our fish caught so far today were released safely, keeping only fish over 2 lbs, which weren’t many.

At this point we still had no Reds on the boat, almost shocking? Bill ran to another area a bit shallower and we found the Reds, albeit most were also less than 2 lbs. We caught a Baker’s Dozen Reds and released all but three, with a four pounder tops in size. The small Lingcod were thick today; however, none reached our keeper size of over 24 inches.

Bill made a run inside the bay around the Tuna Pens and then worked our way along the kelp line and I caught a couple of Sand Bass, both over two pounds, while Bill caught a couple of Chocolate Rockfish. It was now blowing over 15 knots, with lots of capping and we decided to move north. Stopped on a few more small stones and released more Lingcod, Johnny Bass and Chocolate Rockfish. It was fun fishing with plastics most of the afternoon, despite the rapid drifts. When a 3 pound 23” Lingcod bit the plastic on 15 pound test line, it was a fun fight. No pictures today, almost nothing picture worthy except maybe the one Grouper and Red.

At 2:00 pm we called it a day. The ride back up hill was not pleasant. Gad it was a shame to have to release the small green and Spanish Mackerel, they were as hot as fire crackers and would of provided a Dorado a great appetizer.

Cleaned the dozen or so fish outside the harbor, and returned to Bill’s for a short rest, before beginning the long journey home to Diamond Bar at 4:30 pm.

Otay Mesa was said to be a 10 to 15 minute wait at the border, which took me 27 minutes in the ready lane, a ½ mile long where as the regular line was only about ten cars deep, go figure? Can’t win sometimes, as at Otay you pick one way or other and you are pregnant. Made good time home and pulled into my driveway in Diamond Bar at 8:00 pm, a shorter than expected 3.5 hour long trip home.

Bill, deep or shallow you find the biting fish, and as per usual I had a blast, thanks so much for the invite, and fabulous hospitality. Another fun day on the big pond!
Hook up!
Cory

murrieta angler
09-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Nice report Cory,
Still got on some fish, still had your wine the night before and got to try out a new resteraunt...:Wink:
Sounds good to me!
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

DockRat
09-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Bummer on the weather Cory.
It's getting down to weeks left on the offshore scene.
Hoping for more heat and a south swell :Big Smile:
Indian summer please.
DR